Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Question on EFI between stock and 3.2 Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 07:54 AM
Reiguy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great feedback and sincerely appreciated.
As Geoffrey had mentioned with the stock rods, I was under the same assumption being I do not plan to ever track the car so no sustained revving at all and frankly, I don't even plan to run it all the way to 7000 RPM (unless my pesky buddy with his Viper should arrive..LOL).

I am very pleased to hear the Stock 3.2 Intake components (fuel rails, etc) can be used.

As for compression, I was going for the bump for lower end power on the street however I will do alot more research now with compression ratios...possibly 7.5:1...I just assumed slightly higher CR versus much higher boost would be safer power although Y65MPH....1.25 Bar must be wild with your setup ! BTW, That is a beautiful engine You have their

Flame Rings...I didn't think I really needed this as I wasn't planning on running insane boost or again, any sustained hard runs. I was hoping the RaceWare hardware would keep me in place.

As for the exhaust/Turbo...I was already planning a setup like A.WAYNE had mentioned, I actually already have a Tial WG so no stock WG though.

OK, Why so negative on the JE Pistons? I know Mahle is the King for P-Car engines however JE, at least in motors I have done in the past, have an excellent reputation...Metalurgy concerns? Or is it a design issue w/ JE's (oil passages, etc)?

Please continue to question any of my logic, This is what I was hoping for actually, a different perspective on my choices so in the end I make the right choice. I want to build this engine once and correct however I am an advocate of not always buying the most expensive part versus parts that will work just as well for my given application. Now...If I can get a ride in Y65MPH's car it would help me decide on the boost versus CR ratio much easier

Last edited by Reiguy; 01-29-2008 at 08:07 AM. Reason: .
Old 01-29-2008, 08:13 AM
Reiguy
Advanced

On Flame Ringing...Y65, Are your heads flame ringed? After reading the replies again this may be good insurance regardless especially considering I am planning on going all-out on the heads anyway...Is this required based on my intended usage? This question is directed to myself as well. Thanks

On another note too, how do the CV's hold up with the added power? Assuming they are in good shape (minus the pesky clicking when I back up)
Old 01-29-2008, 10:43 AM
kleinbbc2
Racer

"Flame ring the heads "I kick myself for not doing this but at the time had no idea about this upgrade.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are running below 1bar, I would not install the flame rings. Too many of the designs do not address the issue and create additional problems. You will have no issues running 550hp at .7bar with an 8:1 compression engine.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

Along with what Geoffrey said, my compression is lower with the 3.4 yellowbird pistons about 7:1 so I run higher boost levels. Plus my bottom end is also completely done. So yes my heads are flame ringed. But you will have to decide what your intended use is.

One more thing with that GT35R turbo. I do not know how effecient it is at .7 bar. I always thought it ran best pushing at least 1 bar. But maybe Geoffrey can chime in on this.

Craig
Old 01-29-2008, 04:56 PM
Reiguy
Advanced

Interesting, seems i will have to put much more thought into CR versus Boost.
Here is a question, which is harder on the motor itself?
I would assume boost is harder..even though higher CR and lower boost "should" in essence, be able to balance itself to lower CR and higher boost.
Here is a question to answer...Which scenario gives better "seat of the pants" acceleration? I gotta think higher boost would however their is a loss in torque with the lower CR.
OK, I am getting deep here..Geoffrey? I am sure You have been in both scenarios looking at your list of cars.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:39 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

High CR and lower boost combination will give you a better transistion off/on boost than the other way around , more power is available on pump gas with the lower CR higher boost combination , the transition is more pronounce ...... boost gives you the TQ
Old 01-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

My tuner (protosport) felt the combinantion of lower compression, higher boost especially with a GT35R would work best. I also use a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. So as the boost increases the fuel presssure does as well. My transition from off to on boost is very linear. It comes on very hard but not like a light switch. Plus I want to run much higher RPM to take advantage of the boost levels. If I could safely run an 8000RPM redline I would, the engine never runs out of power.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:54 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Most fuel pressure regulators are rising rate , is yours a 1:1 ?

Quick Reply: Question on EFI between stock and 3.2 Intake