964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

victory motors

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Gandara
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default victory motors

What is the deal with Victor motorcars?? I read on another thread made me back track about some shadiness about victory motorcars.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:17 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Look at the `965 Turbo cab´ thread for just one example......if they don´t know how to vet a car they are buying....how can you trust them with a car they are selling.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:31 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

We bought a 993 and a 930 from them. Both transactions worked out fine, but I've heard the stories like everyone else, so it all comes down to the quality of the car itself.

Go check it out yourself and get it PPI'd. If it's a good car, who cares who you buy it from?
Old 12-21-2007, 12:33 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 571 Posts

While Victory has had a notorious past, a good friend of mine is now their head mechanic. He is a Porsche master tech and committed to doing quality work. Previously Victory would cosmetically recondition a car and then outsource repairs as found necessary during the sales process. This of course led to some major issues being unrecognized until a PPI or the new owner discovered the problems upon servicing. The process has been completely changed where after Victory buys the cars, my friend goes thru the whole car and does the necessary repair/maintenance work in house prior to listing the car for sale. It is a huge difference in protocol and my friend assures me that the cars coming out now are as good mechanically as most you are going to find. He's doing top end jobs left and right on the cars now.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:36 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

That is good to hear eclou.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Gandara
Pro

Wow thank you all for the great in put.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:37 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

They buy cars off eBay under one name and sell them under another. They buy service books (stamped) and records off eBay for their cars. They have shown a very consistent track record of the worst business practices and sales tactics known to the used car business. Their ads are misleading and some boarder on out right fraud. Their people have been busted posting as satisfied customers on several web forums. All this appears to be BAU there.

My suggestion. If they have exactly what you're looking for to a T it can’t hurt to inquire about it. Just know for sure what you're dealing with and how they deal. Getting a totally independent PPI is a must. There has been speculation they're in cahoots with 1 or more very near by PPI shops. I can’t confirm that but it’s been discussed, so take it with a grain of salt.

For my money I would not want to do business with them for the sole reason I would not want to support an outfit like them. But that’s just me. Use the search function here and on Pelican and Road fly, read some of the scary stories and the odd positive ones ( granted people usually don’t go out of their way to post the good, unlike they do when they’ve been ripped off) and decide for yourself.

The latest example is a 1991 Turbo supposed Cabriolet they bought sight unseen off eBay, believing it was a 1 off by Porsche special wishes. Porsche never made that model. They paid somewhere around 50k I believe, cleaned it up and put it right back on eBay for 85K. When it was pointed out to them the car was not a 1 off, they then listed it as a very high level conversion done as 1 of 4 by a California company. Now it’s back to being listed as 1 of 1 from Porsche. They purchased it from the PO with an obvious fake Certificate of Authenticity since the certificate showed "sunroof" as an option, as well as other flaws. IMHO they bought sight unseen and got taken and now they're trying to do the same thing.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:46 PM
Gandara
Pro

Originally Posted by Trader220
They buy cars off eBay under one name and sell them under another. They buy service books (stamped) and records off eBay for their cars. They have shown a very consistent track record of the worst business practices and sales tactics known to the used car business. Their ads are misleading and some boarder on out right fraud. Their people have been busted posting as satisfied customers on several web forums. All this appears to be BAU there.

My suggestion. If they have exactly what you're looking for to a T it can’t hurt to inquire about it. Just know for sure what you're dealing with and how they deal. Getting a totally independent PPI is a must. There has been speculation they're in cahoots with 1 or more very near by PPI shops. I can’t confirm that but it’s been discussed, so take it with a grain of salt.

For my money I would not want to do business with them for the sole reason I would not want to support an outfit like them. But that’s just me. Use the search function here and on Pelican and Road fly, read some of the scary stories and the odd positive ones ( granted people usually don’t go out of their way to post the good, unlike they do when they’ve been ripped off) and decide for yourself.

The latest example is a 1991 Turbo supposed Cabriolet they bought sight unseen off eBay, believing it was a 1 off by Porsche special wishes. Porsche never made that model. They paid somewhere around 50k I believe, cleaned it up and put it right back on eBay for 85K. When it was pointed out to them the car was not a 1 off, they then listed it as a very high level conversion done as 1 of 4 by a California company. Now it’s back to being listed as 1 of 1 from Porsche. They purchased it from the PO with an obvious fake Certificate of Authenticity since the certificate showed "sunroof" as an option, as well as other flaws. IMHO they bought sight unseen and got taken and now they're trying to do the same thing.

Whoaz. That's pretty downright scary there. Thanks yous, I'll just stick to private sellers than.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:55 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Dont get me wrong, if they have exactly what you want, MY, color, options, miles, it cant hurt to at least ask. They're a NON value added dealer and thats being kind IMO. There are some pretty good people out there in the used Porsche business. IMHO there is value in dealing with them and paying a bit of a premium for their services. If you're interested in a name or two pm me. I dont want to appear as being biased or touting anyone in particular to the gen pop here. Oh, and I am NOT in the car business either.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Gandara
Pro

Originally Posted by Trader220
Dont get me wrong, if they have exactly what you want, MY, color, options, miles, it cant hurt to at least ask. They're a NON value added dealer and thats being kind IMO. There are some pretty good people out there in the used Porsche business. IMHO there is value in dealing with them and paying a bit of a premium for their services. If you're interested in a name or two pm me. I dont want to appear as being biased or touting anyone in particular to the gen pop here. Oh, and I am NOT in the car business either.
Yeah well since I'm not porsche savy I don't think I'd consider something risky without you rennlist peeps first helping me out.
Thanks
Old 12-21-2007, 08:15 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
While Victory has had a notorious past, a good friend of mine is now their head mechanic. He is a Porsche master tech and committed to doing quality work. Previously Victory would cosmetically recondition a car and then outsource repairs as found necessary during the sales process. This of course led to some major issues being unrecognized until a PPI or the new owner discovered the problems upon servicing. The process has been completely changed where after Victory buys the cars, my friend goes thru the whole car and does the necessary repair/maintenance work in house prior to listing the car for sale. It is a huge difference in protocol and my friend assures me that the cars coming out now are as good mechanically as most you are going to find. He's doing top end jobs left and right on the cars now.
Can you find out what your friend thinks of the whole '91 cab deal? He knows a lot about Porsches. What does he think it is? Why doesn't he tell the people he works for? Why don't they post an honest listing with the car?

I think that explanation would be interesting. I thought about emailing Victory via eBay, but they would probably just view that as antagonistic and not answer, but you could ask your bud and get the scoop.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:07 AM
ADRNLN
Advanced

Originally Posted by PTurbo965
Can you find out what your friend thinks of the whole '91 cab deal? He knows a lot about Porsches. What does he think it is? Why doesn't he tell the people he works for? Why don't they post an honest listing with the car?
Yes, that *would* be interesting to hear... But in fairness to the mechanic, he'd be stuck between a rock and a hard place: it'd be a bit of a job risk, I think, although he'd certainly keep his integrity. Too much snooping around or inquisition could land him in the bread line. It's easier to just shut up and keep fixing cars, but if anyone knows the real story, it'd likely be him.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:07 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 571 Posts

I will call him b/c I am interested to hear what he has to say. I think that one pre-dated his arrival there though.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:29 PM
grcdvm
Intermediate

I bought a 41M, 91 turbo black / bk, from Victory last year sight un-seen with an independant PPI. Car was as represented except one quarter panel had been buffed to the primer in one small area, noticeable with just the right light. I advised Victory of the fact and they sent me a $850.00 check within a week for the repair. These cars are sixteen years old plus, and have had in most cases multiple owners. Repairs and maintence dollars need to be considered both in the negotiated purchase price of the car, and subsequently in the cost of ownwership of this classic.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Gandara
Pro

I don't want previously owned/wrecked cars which were repaired (T_T) and not reported to carfax or to the possible buyer (>_<)

Quick Reply: victory motors