Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 07:26 AM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cyclone Gonu water damage?

Quick question for you guys.

My car recently was water damaged with water going one third way up the doors and subsequently the engine was submerged in water up to the top of the valve covers. I am assuming that water got into the heads through the exhaust up to and into the heads which had open exhaust ports at the time.

Before I even consider cranking the engine I want all the plugs out and flush each cyclinder with a fluid....which fluid do you think???

I am gonna pull the headers and take a look but just to be sure I will do this on each pot. Any other thoughts on preservation in this case for the engine internals?

Appreciate your input.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:52 AM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

Sorry to hear about your problem; at least it wasn't a total loss.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

Pull the plugs, and with a hose fill with diesel..

I'd quickly pull the lower exhaust valve covers. And at the same time drop the engine oil.

However, you want to quickly replace the drained water/oil with new oil.

You can overfill the engine, and turn the engine over, do not start the engine. Just turn it over. The diesel will work displace the water and seal the rings and cylinders..

Drain and replace your oil again. Turn the engine over.. (all of this has been done with the plugs out). Install new plugs and your valve covers, and try to start it..

Good luck
Old 06-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Sorry to hear about that Youcef, I was hoping none of you guys got any damage.

I hope it all gets sorted with what has been said above and we can be at the track soon again.

Good luck
Old 06-12-2007, 01:40 AM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guys, Thanks so much for the replies.

I have pulled the heat exchangers and have seen that only number two pot was open at the exhaust port, so I am hoping that this is the only pot water entered. I will replace the oil today as suggested and get the plugs out today and do the diesel job.

Kevin, Thanks for the reply. I was wondering what I should do with the turbo itself ( IA HFS!), the water has been sitting against blades on the hot side now for to days, Should I flush with water to remove all the crud and then hit it with diesel also? Appreciate your comments.

Jean, Thanks for your thoughts. I am quite confident there will be little problem with the engine, the interior was of course the worst hit as the water in there was quite muddy. Worst case scenario is I strip the car , put in the roll cage, fire system, efi and head back to the autodrome on slicks!! Always wanted to do that anyway!!

Take care.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:45 PM
Mike Andrews
Instructor

Don't forget the gearbox. If the water was higher than the vent hole it may have injested water. Pull the fill plug and see if anything comes out..... Or just replace it to be safe.

There are some electronics (under the seats) that should be taken care of as well. If they got wet then open them up and clean them with electrical cleaner and make sure they are dry before you apply power to them.

The carpet and the padding should be removed and replaced or dried and cleaned. Not really sure what to do about the seats as the bottome cushion mot probably will have had some water saoked into the foam. And the switches in the seats don't seam to hold up to the water...

Did the battery go under?

I've seen pretty good success with water damage cars that don't have water get into the dash. There can be issues with water and crude getting into wiring harnesses.

Good luck.....
Old 06-15-2007, 03:06 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,060 Posts

+1 on the electronics under the seats, but there are also some up front. I dont' know if any water got into your trunk though. You can listen for the brake fluid pump when you turn the key, but there are other items up there as well.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:51 AM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks again guys.

Gearbox...hmm interesting I thought it was sealed, if there is a vent hole surely water is in there cause it crossed the gear stick. I will have a look tonite.

I have pulled all the carpets and floor padding / sound proofing, it has all been dry out and is fine. All the electronics were pulled on the first day and they all seem to be fine after a good clean with contact cleaner. The battery did go under and the alarm system was triggered at the time, the alarm module seems to have suffered most and I am thinking about replacing that one. The electronics under the hood are fine, The ABS control unit is a water tight module so it is not wet. there are two relay on the ABS pump itself which were cleaned and look like new. I have removed all connectors and cleaned with WD-40 for two days and then with contact cleaner for 3 days more while they are all being dried in 45 degree heat...summer in the ME!

The seats came out on the first day and are now dry, I am going to replace all the switches as anyways as theye are quite a crappy design and were not working so well before they got wet.

I have checked all the lights, they all work fine, I had orderd prior to the storm a new set of indicators for the rear and the center panel reflector, so they can go in as the original were a bit cruddy.

I removed all the underside panels and rockers and cleaned the underside of the car it all looks okay and should weather this OK.

I have changed the oil as suggested above, filled with dielsel and rotated the engine as suggested. I changed the plugs and am now gonna wait until I get a new set of headers before I put it all back together. I cleaned the dizzy lat night, checked all the induction system just to be sure nothing got in and as I thought there was nothing there as the level was way off that height.

Lets see what the next few days brings!
Old 06-21-2007, 11:23 AM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well it doesnt fire!

I have done all the above and thanks to Mike i found some small water in the box. I put it all back together, everthing works, lights, brake pump, interior lights, all dash lights.....except the alarm system is dead! I manually grounded a plug an there is no spark at all. Does the alarm system disable the ignition? i know it disables the fuel pumps but not so sure on the electrics.

I have had the jetronic out and there is no visable damage, same goes for the enrichment module and turbo control module.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-21-2007, 05:25 PM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

Oh boy; I have story for you...

A local shop who has done work on my car did a motor conversion on a 964 n/a. They put in a 993 motor/tansmission complete with all harnesses and computers. For some reason, they couldn't get it to start. Then finally after talking to Porsche and recieving new wiring schematics along with a new computer, (possibly a new set of keys too) the car started up.

I hope this isn't your problem, but I thought it would be worth throwing out there.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:23 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Youcef, does your car have a crank sensor for the EZ? Wonder if it is damaged.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:44 AM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

Man I am amazed at these cars.

I discovered that I had left unconnected the large plug assy under the seat near the Jetronic, it's the one that basically connects to another of the same size with 5 wires into it. I thought is was seat related but is seems it is the main line to the engine bay. Anyway I thought I will plug it in and see if it fires, after giving everything else a try and without changing anything yet. First click of the key the engine fired and ran like the day it was born!! I have dropped the oil again in the engine and transmission, need to put the seats back in, finish cleaning the underside around the rockers, wheel arches, clean the radiator fans(which run fine) and put back all the underside I took off to clean the tunnel and the gear change assy.

Truly amazing cars!

Last edited by Youcef; 06-27-2007 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:19 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

That's great news!

Quick Reply: Cyclone Gonu water damage?