Jolt on lift off - low gears

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Dodgy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jolt on lift off - low gears

G'day

As very recent owners of a 964 Turbo 3.3 we have noticed that a sudden lift off of the accelerator after heavy acceleration in low gears results in in a noticeable jolt/jerk from the engine. I raised this with the local PSC (where we purchased the car from) and was told that was normal with the 964 T and in fact was worse on the 993 Turbo. Something about dumping fuel....

So is this normal?

The car has been fitted with a 1.0 boost spring? Sorry, not too flash on the techo stuff.

Cheers
Old 12-03-2006, 11:18 PM
turbo 3.6
Racer

G'day Mate,

FYI, My 965 3.6T does the same jolty thing. Hope you are enjoying the car ;-)
Old 12-04-2006, 04:08 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Hi guys,

I sold my 3.3 Turbo earlier this year and experienced the same jerk as mentioned. After a lot of digging it was said that the CIS cars were more prone to this but also that the "air bypass valve" (blow off valve) which is plastic is prone to failing in the diaphram. Replacing this can substantially help reduce the jerking. So take your pick as to which theory you believe. If I still owned the car I would change the BOV as it's an easy cheap fix. The replacement metal BOV is a plumb-back so you don't have to put up with the Pssshhh. It did teach me a lot about throttle control as I learnt to deal with it through careful throttle inputs.

To be honest I think the dumping fuel thing is a load of bollocks. I can't see how excess fuel would give that symptom.

Hope the 3.6T is treating you well Clint
Old 12-04-2006, 04:16 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

This should help https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turbo-forum/229796-throttle-lift-jerkiness-any-thoughts.html

BTW... My 3.3T went to Auckland and was also White. There's a pic of it here http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nzpsh9...94.jpg&.src=ph
Old 12-04-2006, 05:55 AM
turbo 3.6
Racer

G'day James,

Yep all is well mate, loving it!

Just been reading thru all those linked threads re the lift off jolts and BOV etc. I must order one of those Forge Billet BOV's - sounds much better.

Just noticed your old 3.3t had a rear wiper? I thought they only came out on the 3.6t???

Clint.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:06 AM
asimler
Racer

I had the jerking too - had the BOV replaced with a stock new one (was very cheap) and its way better in terms of the jerk.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:49 PM
Dodgy
Track Day

Thanks for the advice.

Will check into getting the BOV replaced.

Was at CCS yesterday picking up the car after ABS repair, ABS pump failed. I thought we had a car in great nick but there was another white 3.3 turbo there getting a service that made ours look a little tired. Had a peek at the speedo and couldn't believe it had only done 17,000 kms. Suggest that was your car. Ours has done 32,000kms, ex South Island car.

BTW our 3.3T also has a rear wiper.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:33 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgy
As very recent owners of a 964 Turbo 3.3 we have noticed that a sudden lift off of the accelerator after heavy acceleration in low gears results in in a noticeable jolt/jerk from the engine.
Have you pulled the motor mounts and checked them?
Old 12-04-2006, 04:33 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the advice.

Will check into getting the BOV replaced.

Was at CCS yesterday picking up the car after ABS repair, ABS pump failed. I thought we had a car in great nick but there was another white 3.3 turbo there getting a service that made ours look a little tired. Had a peek at the speedo and couldn't believe it had only done 17,000 kms. Suggest that was your car. Ours has done 32,000kms, ex South Island car.

BTW our 3.3T also has a rear wiper.
Yes that would have been mine. It had 3300km on the clock when i brought it and @ 15000kms when I sold it. Was a VERY tidy example and ex Brunei car. Funnily enough I had a full ABS system as a spare which I just recently sold for $150 on TradeMe. Brought it in case I had an ABS failure as I know they are expensive to repair. I sold it to Steve Rasmussen a Porongiahia.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Have you pulled the motor mounts and checked them?
It was something that has previously been mentioned but i don't believe it is the problem with all 965T's although new mounts would hurt. Personally I would have gone to solid or semi solid mounts if I was to have changed.

My 965 was like new, with rubbers etc all in excellenent nick and the car still jerked. You kinda have to own it/experience it to understand it. It wasn't that kind of ****** but more like a fuel cut snap! Very scary in corners
Old 12-04-2006, 04:50 PM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

I have found that if you flat foot it and get heavy into the boost and lift pre-maturely, the car is not happy...hence "the jerk." Kind of like lifting in the corner - not good. So, I always remember if I'm going to get on it, make sure the path in front is clear.

Personally, I like it because it forces you to be smooth and as we all know, the smooth driver is usually the quickest!

Last edited by JRRSA; 12-04-2006 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Dodgy
Track Day

Having lived in Brunei I understand why it only had 3,300 kms. Only one decent(ish) highway in the country. Car still looks like new!

Would not have even considered looking on trade me for ABS parts. Must get in the habit of checking trademe for parts.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:38 PM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Had same issue when my car was stock. Now it's completely gone with the EFI + mods - more torque, wider power band, yet smoother and more driveable than before
Old 12-04-2006, 09:46 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Well boys there's your answer. I guess you'll all be booking your cars in tomorrow
Old 12-05-2006, 02:41 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Having lived in Brunei I understand why it only had 3,300 kms. Only one decent(ish) highway in the country. Car still looks like new!

Would not have even considered looking on trade me for ABS parts. Must get in the habit of checking trademe for parts.
Bad idea, I've been picking odd parts off there and don't need more people bidding against me

Quick Reply: Jolt on lift off - low gears