Share Tips on driver detailing and concourse detailing

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 11:12 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Share Tips on driver detailing and concourse detailing

Hello Porsche friends

I'm looking for you to share your secrets on detailing your beautiful 964 Turbo either it's for show or a daily driver, show all those nooks and crannies and how you got it cleaned, Maybe help with some advice on the small visual details of what's wrong and how to fix it. Before and after pic's would be a plus.

Thank you kindly
Helio

Old 05-20-2019, 01:15 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Hey Helio.
The list is long. And I don't have pics of all those nooks & crannies.
Having judged these cars (for about 4 yrs now our Chesapeake Region has had me on their judging crew, so sometimes I get other vintages / classes), but this past Fall, since I had entered our Aqua Blue GT3 in a different class, I had the Full Concours,... so I got to stick my fingers just about any place I knew to be problem areas),... anyway,...
Off the top of my head, I would say the easiest place to find some dust/dirt is way up inside the rear deck lid. Once you know how the plastic trays are held in place, its very easy as a judge to find that little cranny up in there to very quickly find dirt. If the owner is standing there I always show my clean fingers (I keep a nice zip-lock baggie with hand wipes for between cars),... and then show them the dirt.
Another good place is in the door jam, but up under the front fender. So easy to stick your fingers up in there, and proves the owner knew to clean there.
Also, if you are entering full concours judging, make sure you get just inside the fenderwell around the tires.
Oh, and another fun place on the interior to find dirt or even crumbs (heaven forbid!),.. is inside the folds of your driver seat. Make sure to pull apart the bolster folds on the bottom seat. They are deep and susceptible.
The engine Bay? .. oh wow, there's so many "spots". With all the work you've done, I'm sure you know them all already!!
Anyway, certainly not my full list,... and at this hour, was just fun to think about & jot some stuff down.
=Steve
Old 05-21-2019, 10:22 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Make sure you get to those hard to reach places😂
Old 05-23-2019, 12:45 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

How serious do you want to get. I was asked to Judge at Parade again this year but I am busy that weekend. I will be a lead judge at the Zone 1 Concours this September but haven't been participating as much as I have in the past. The most subjective sport there is it is easy to miss all sorts of things but by now as Steve said you probably know the tough spots quite well. Simple things people overlook are the felt strip that seals the 964 and earlier cars above the door window frame. An easy place to get dinged and usually for a couple of bits of lint from dragging a rag over it. Also the door pockets can be a royal PITA especially with dark or black interior. The pedal box gets a lot of people along with the grime mentioned in between the seat pleats. Tool kits are usually a killer and any marks on the bag or rust especially between the pliers when opened can get you dinged a .1 or so. The list can be quite extensive although my suggestion since regions judge differently I would get my hands on a scoring sheet and pick your battles. Focus on the areas that can ding you for the most points and work down from there.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:58 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

good advice Anthony. And you remind me of the felt and areas up in the sunroof (when open). When the judges ask you to "open the car up", I have never actually opened the sunroof and no judges have ever asked me to. I've always spent time in the tracks to ensure it's clean in there,... but just not sure if the judges "remember" that they can inspect in there or what. My thought was that if they do not "ask" me to open it, I won't. Thereby not giving them the chance to find grease where it actually "should be". Lol.

Similar case-&-point, at the Ozarks Parade I was actually DQ'd for having Ceramic & XPEL film on the car. That's right, ZERO points given. It completely destroyed any chance I had at competing in the "Preservation" class. There was a big rukus amongst the Parade Concours PCR board, and they vowed to re-visit those rules,... which now I think they have revised and those 2 things are allowable as surface protection (ie just like WAXing your car). But alas I did not submit a protest. BadBoys Mike was there & he was the one to grab my judging sheet & discover it. For me, at the time, I was like "Meh whatever", since I really just enjoy the camaraderie of the people + having our car out on that beautiful lawn. So my bottom line resolution from that experience is that in the future I will not enter Preservation ever again (even though my car should really compete there). But rather I will enter "Touring" under "Presentation",... even though that means I am NOT considered for the next level up of judging for Weissach, Zuffenhausen, and Gmund awards. Oh well. Don't really care.

Anyway,... if you want to see some of the history of those who have won in these categories,...
https://www.pca.org/sites/default/fi...%20Section.pdf

Real point here, as Anthony mentioned, (assuming you are entering a PCA type Concours. If not, then it's up to that particular event to distribute HOW they are going to judge per each of the classes),... is to download the Parade Competition Rules (PCR), and study the class that you want to enter. That is the only sure-fire way to be prepared for it.

Hope that helps,
=Steve
Old 05-23-2019, 02:25 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

^^^ Steve it still baffles me that they dinged you like that. In my 30+ years on and off attending Concours events and Judging never once have I heard of anyone being dinged or DQ'd for having clear film or any protectant on a cars finish. Although I could understand if it was allowed to deteriorate and become unclear is one thing but your car is clean. Just wrong and you should have protested but like you say it is all about the spirit of the event and the comradery. Trophy's are nice sometimes but just another thing to take up space and clean LOL

Mike still looking for his Gmund. LOL

BTW I have never seen anyone ask or have judged an open sunroof. Although if they do it for one car they have to do it for all and then what happens when you have a car with Sun roof delete? although a clean car means everything IMO and that includes seat rails, sunroof channels and behind the license plates.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:39 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

My former neighbor had a Boxster that is competed with.
He told me that he trailed it to a Parade in Colorado a few years ago and they dinged him because he didn't drive the car there.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:48 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
My former neighbor had a Boxster that is competed with.
He told me that he trailed it to a Parade in Colorado a few years ago and they dinged him because he didn't drive the car there.
I am assuming he was in preservation class? You have to read the rules for each class and it changes.

Quick Reply: Share Tips on driver detailing and concourse detailing