Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Questions on flushing brake fluid

Old 03-18-2019, 07:37 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Questions on flushing brake fluid

The fluid in my car is pretty bad and I wanted to flush the entire system. As you know, there are chambers in the reservoir and I am not sure how to drain the system so all of the reservoirs get new fluid. Is each reservoir associated to a different caliper and I need to drain them individually? Also, we all know you don't want air in the system but it seems impossible to get rid of the old fluid entirely if you keep mixing in new fluid as you cannot control which reservoir the new fluid goes in. It just mixes and then you have slightly better colored fluid. Any help (pics are great!) would be appreciated.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:55 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

If you use a pressure bleeder you can evacuate both chambers of the reservoir simultaneously. In fact, do not attempt to bleed your brakes without one.
There is a factory procedure for bleeding that has to be followed because the brake booster reservoir has to be bled first.
Once you get past that, it's pretty much like bleeding any other old car.
If you alternate between ATE Super Blue and Super Gold fluid, you can tell when you have purged the old fluid.
Also, don't forget to bleed the clutch slave cylinder on the transaxle.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:08 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the heads up. I am using a pressure bleeder but I don't know how you can evacuate the reservoir entirely so if you know please share. Also, I don't have the factory procedure so if that is handy please share. I go by the farthest brake line to closest procedure and then the clutch but if I am missing something let me know.

Thanks again.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:11 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Below is a picture of the dilemma I am facing (I know the level on one is very low. Don't ask!). There are 5 compartments inside the reservoir and they are marked K, HA, VA R, and E. Not sure if was intentional or not (could be the brand) but that is my reference. After bleeding all 4 corners and not adding fluid I figured out that HA is the rear brakes and VA is the fronts. I am going to bleed the clutch and see which is that but that still leaves 2 compartments unaccounted for and filled with filthy fluid. I know someone knows this.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:25 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Well figured out that the front compartment is the accumulator so I bled that. That just leaves the compartment labeled R. I cannot find a bleed valve anywhere that this applies to so I am going to leave it alone. I figure that flushing out all the fluid except that small amount should be sufficient. If anyone knows please let me know.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:14 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

I believe R is for the clutch which gets bled at the tranny.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:57 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

"If you alternate between ATE Super Blue and Super Gold fluid, you can tell when you have purged the old fluid."

That option is no longer valid here in US. All brake fluids are now "amber" color. the government banned all other colors.

To OP, you cannot purge all the brake fluids including those in the ABS system. I even tried it with the Durametric function and it didn't work. I asked the dealer and they told me the only way to flush the ABS is with their tool.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:48 PM
Black_Hat
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

The rear compartment - one closest to engine- is for the clutch slave.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:27 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
"If you alternate between ATE Super Blue and Super Gold fluid, you can tell when you have purged the old fluid."

That option is no longer valid here in US. All brake fluids are now "amber" color. the government banned all other colors.

To OP, you cannot purge all the brake fluids including those in the ABS system. I even tried it with the Durametric function and it didn't work. I asked the dealer and they told me the only way to flush the ABS is with their tool.
Well, when I goggled it I saw it's still available on Flebay for "Off-road use only".
I would expect the dealer to say something like that.
As I understand it, you need a Bosch Hammer to bleed a Carrera 4 system. Otherwise, the factory manual has the procedure for bleeding the 2WD system .
Many Porsche stores don't work on or even understand the old cars so take what your dealer with a grain of salt.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:46 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

The fluid in my car was sufficiently dirty that it was very easy to see the new fluid. Did all calipers, clutch and accumulator but am getting a soft pedal. I will try t rebleed everything again but I am not happy. Will see but hopefully no air in ABS system. If there is I don't think there is a way to get it out without factory equipment. One question because I have been following the C4 bleed procedure: Turbo cars don't have a dual solenoid so nothing to bleed there? I think its pretty obvious but want to make sure.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:46 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

PM sent.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions on flushing brake fluid