Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Small Fixes

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 09:49 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for the kind words. The car definitely needs a little work to get it back where it should be and I want to do as much of it as possible. I am always looking for DIY's and sometimes have a hard time finding what I am looking for so I figured this thread may help someone out in the same boat. I just got the springs in and I am hoping they lower the car or I will be pretty bummed. I am still waiting on the bump stops and boot covers so I can't install anything until they come but I have my fingers crossed. I did note that the spring shape is much different from the stock ones so even though they may be the same size the rate will be different and they should sit lower. I also have a strut tower brace to install with it.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:34 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

So I have a question that may be a little silly but I honestly don't know the answer. Does it matter which way the spring is installed as long as they line up correctly? The springs are progressive so there is a tighter bunch of coils on half. I spoke to Elephant Racing where I got them from and they said it doesn't matter but the internet says it does and there are articles for both directions. Image below.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:11 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtmx
So I have a question that may be a little silly but I honestly don't know the answer. Does it matter which way the spring is installed as long as they line up correctly? The springs are progressive so there is a tighter bunch of coils on half. I spoke to Elephant Racing where I got them from and they said it doesn't matter but the internet says it does and there are articles for both directions. Image below.

IIRC the bottom perch has an indent that is designed for the end coil to sit in so it doesn't rotate the other side should be somewhat flat and sits towards the top. Or it is the other way around. It has been too long to be sure but it should be apparent.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:35 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Well progress is slow but moving. Finished the rear brakes today and fixed the frown now that I got the new hardware. I was able to do one front strut M030 spring as well and the install was a breeze. Cordless impact wrench made the top nut easy and didn't need a spring compressor. Installed new boots and bump stops and cleaned up the strut so one side looks fantastic! If anyone is looking to do this it is not that bad at all.

Kind of nasty and worn.

Rebuilt

Nice and new. Still have a little to do but the bulk is done
Old 03-16-2019, 02:55 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Well finished a lot today but I feel defeated by the smallest clip and I have given up on it. Just can't get this clip to sit straight so any ideas let me know. It is the clip that holds the brake line to the front strut. Anyways, finished the brakes and front suspension and installed the strut bar. Lots of bloody knuckles but I am satisfied. It doesn't seem like I can do the rear springs as I just cannot get the car high enough for a long breaker bar to loosen the bottom nut. I am going to try my air-impact wrench this week but I don't think my compressor has enough juice to get it off. . I still have to fix the sunroof guide rails, install the new rubber smile and replace the rubber on the rocker panels.

This clip will be the death of me.

Last edited by bmwtmx; 04-03-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:28 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Did you cut the shock bracket or separate the brake lines? The clip could use replacing but try it from a different angle and rotate it. It isn't inserted in the grove properly on the left side causing it to twist. As far as the rears if you can't break the lower bolts free you won't be able to torque them properly either.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:19 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

I just separated the brake the line so when I went to reinstall the clip the line with the groove doesn't go in perfectly straight. I will try again today but needed a day off to regroup. My plan on the rears was to install the new springs and then tighten the bolt as much as I could. When I bring the car in in 2 weeks I was going to have them properly torque it. But it is not looking likely as I cannot get it off. My compressor doesn't have enough juice to get it off either.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:11 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Well it has been fun but I am finished with what I want to do now. Installed the M030 springs on the front and they do lower the car by exactly 30mm, new rotors and pads up front and just pads out back. I have bled the system enough times that I am done with that but it is still a little soft I will have that checked out when it goes in tomorrow. I ran 1 gallon of fluid through it and still it's not where I want it to be but I am out of patience and time. When the car is back from the shop I am going to install the new rubber rocker seals and front rubber "smile" and then I believe it will be where I want it to be. And that means driving it and enjoying it.

Quick Reply: Small Fixes