Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Speedlines or RH for sale?

Old 02-01-2019, 12:26 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Speedlines or RH for sale?

Anyone looking to sell a set of genuine Speedlines or RH wheels for the 964 Turbo?

sberger6@gmail.com
Old 02-01-2019, 03:54 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 657 Posts

sberger6,

Do you have your RL account setup to prevent PM's? .. (I see you have 550 posts, so it cannot be the new-member issues with too few posts)

Anyway,... I've seen this request come so many times over the years,... and I'm just not sure its economical. The stars would need to align to make it worth while. And the reasons why you want a set on your car play into it too ... meaning, are you Ok with used ones? .. or would you sooo-prefer new ones, but just don't want to pay for new ones,.. so would prefer to get a set at half cost.... which will probably never happen. A new set is only like $3,500 right? Why not just go new? ... Most times I've seen guys asking to buy someone's used set,.. they end up going new anyway.

sure I'd be willing to let go of mine,.. but only because I'd love to get brand new ones,... and I need a new set of tires anyway (mine are aging out at 8 yrs. Ugh, plenty of tread too. But as I drive mine hard, I worry about old rubber),... I'm a Concours nutt,.. and want them to be perfect, and mine are not. Mind you they are in great shape no doubt (all true & straight & have Ceramic Pro on them inside & out),... but 2 of them have small light scratches in the center silver, and one of them has a slight 1/8" nic in the very outer edge of one of the rears. I keep telling myself they are really not worth replacing. But it just keeps nagging in my head. And even though my car has won quite a few {stupid} trophies over the years (cuz it's just fun to hang out w/ folks on the golf course!!), I still TRY to think of it as a "Driver",... because I NEVER want to be afraid to put miles on it (25k miles over the 15 yrs I've owned it).

So in the end, you live in Fla,.. and I'm in MD. The cost of transport, etc would probably make it prohibitive anyway.

Just my thoughts.
=Steve
Old 02-02-2019, 01:45 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

I actually didn't realize they were still sold new. After doing a search are these them on ebay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-new-RH-3-...UDFx:rk:3:pf:0
Old 02-02-2019, 08:23 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those are sold through GMP out of Charlotte, and another vendor in Germany advertises often sets for sale. Speedlines cost over twice as much as the RH 3 piece 18" wheels look pretty good, but are not the real deal. Last I checked they are still available new through Porsche parts departments expect to pay about $9500 for a set. I have (4) used centers from a trade in set, and I do custom size builds. jdorociak@gmail.com

RH sets are a very value wheel set that looks close, but not exact. jim

I just had a radical prostatectomy this week and just got notification from the Dr. today the Path report came back clean on my lymph nodes so today is a pretty exciting day. Everything was contained in my prostate.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:11 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

I updated my PM to allow messages. I don't remember disabling that.....

Jim: Happy to hear all is well. As we get older health is the most important thing we need to be thankful for.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:50 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Wow, Jim D,... Certainly happy to hear the good news on the path report. But also sorry to hear you've had to go through that. Your extended Rennlist family is here for lots of car conversations to help keep the spirits high. Heal fast. All our best.

OP,... those eBay rims from die FELGENwerkstatt are in Gummersbach Germany (about 1.5hr drive north of the Nordschleife Nurburgring). So the shipping would make them cost ineffective imo.

As Jim said, GMP is where mine were purchased. East Coast (Charlotte NC) - MUCH closer to you!! https://www.gmpperformance.com/

You can also read up on Alurad rims at: https://rh-rims.com

As as Jim mentioned the original speedlines (purchased from your local Porsche dealer) will be the "real deal" (or have Jim build you a set!!),... but they are also slightly heavier too. So your unsprung weight will be slightly higher than the Alurad RH36 rims (which is one of the reasons I run them). Plus, since I still drive my car a lot on tours, etc,.. I'm not too worried if I damage them.

Anyway,... you'll also want to be sure you get the right offsets (as they are different on the originals, verses RH36's). The RH36 offsets are: Front ET52, and Rear ET54.

Let us know how you make out,
=Steve
Old 02-03-2019, 02:57 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Built them on the GMP site and comes out to roughly $4,500 shipped. I will call and see if they offer any discounts. I am looking at 225 40 18 and 285 30 18 tires. I have read I can go 5mm spacers front/rear for a more aggressive look but that seems to be hit or miss: some people say it works, others don't. Lastly, I have to decide upon just lowering the car with springs or moving to a coil-over setup. Oddly enough, I have not even gotten the car yet. Being delivered this week.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:40 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Very cool. Congrats!!

I thought your RL name looked familiar. I've seen prior posts on other sub-forum's from you. Congrats on selling your 968 so fast too. Nice swap going from a 968 to a 965!!,.. and will be a nice edition to your Viper.

Welcome to our little underworld here.
=Steve

Last edited by bweSteve; 02-04-2019 at 11:47 AM. Reason: fix spelling
Old 02-03-2019, 09:29 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtmx
Built them on the GMP site and comes out to roughly $4,500 shipped. I will call and see if they offer any discounts. I am looking at 225 40 18 and 285 30 18 tires. I have read I can go 5mm spacers front/rear for a more aggressive look but that seems to be hit or miss: some people say it works, others don't. Lastly, I have to decide upon just lowering the car with springs or moving to a coil-over setup. Oddly enough, I have not even gotten the car yet. Being delivered this week.
Don't add spacers until you have lowered the car. Eyeballing my car, 5mm in the rear will be fine.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:49 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

bweSteve: Thanks very much. I have had a few Turbo's already but I wanted something cheaper that I could drive around and not care about which is how I got to the 968. Despite liking the car I didn't love it and grew tired of it after about 3 months. So back to an air-cooled Turbo and one I have not had before. I bought the Slate Grey car that is in the classifieds and was on BaT. Had it fully inspected and bought it right. Should arrive by the end of the week.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:18 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

One last question. My car does need a little work as per the PPI and may hold off on wheels until I get other issues resolved. But can you run spacers on stock wheels for a bit more aggressive look? Definitely will be redoing the suspension so the car will sit lower but as a stop-gap am considering this option.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:56 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

Try driving the car for a bit before you decide to tweak the suspension/offsets, etc? Stock is nice looking as long as it is set as original spec, and a bit fun the way the car moves around on the original suspension, while still being able to go over a speedbump without killing the mood.

Steve - is this the stuff you have on your wheels? https://ceramic-pro.com/en/shop/prod.../wheelcaliper/

Can I DIY or does one need airbrush skills?
Old 02-04-2019, 07:26 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bmwtmx
bweSteve: Thanks very much. I have had a few Turbo's already but I wanted something cheaper that I could drive around and not care about which is how I got to the 968. Despite liking the car I didn't love it and grew tired of it after about 3 months. So back to an air-cooled Turbo and one I have not had before. I bought the Slate Grey car that is in the classifieds and was on BaT. Had it fully inspected and bought it right. Should arrive by the end of the week.
Then I'm thinking that you bought the 1-owner vin# 480497. The Doctor that owned that car lived right down the road from me. Car was there its entire life. I have a friend who services diesel generators (took me along one year) & we were at the house of that family & saw the car there (Eastern Shore of MD). Unfortunate for that older gentleman who came down with Alzheimer's. The wife was selling,... as the car was just not getting used. I crawled in & around that car when it was for sale at CPR Classic East.
https://rennlist.com/forums/marketpl...are-color.html

Originally Posted by wicks
Steve - is this the stuff you have on your wheels? https://ceramic-pro.com/en/shop/prod.../wheelcaliper/
Can I DIY or does one need airbrush skills?
Hey Wicks, .. multi-faceted answer to those 2 questions....

First, yes, the CeramicPro line of products is what I have on my Porsche's,.. but I also have other cars where I used a different product because I wanted to DIY.
..... The DIY product I have used on my '68 & '69 Camaro's, as well as some DD's in our family (our 2 kids are in their early 20's, so we did theirs last summer too) is NanoBond (from Amazon. When I bought it was $24/bottle. Now $18). Easy stuff to work with,... keeping in mind that the prep work is 80% of the battle. Once you've done paint correction (rims too), it goes on easy, wipes off easy. 3 coats worked for us. The oldest vehicle (2000 4Runner with 190k miles) we did over 2 years ago now, & I can still tell that it is on the paint when I wash it.

And yes, the CeramicPro "Wheel & Caliper" is what my installer used for the calipers themselves, as well as the Centers, AND Back-Barrels of my RH36's. They did not use it on the bare aluminum outer rim barrels. They had {poor} experiences with trying to use wheel&caliper on raw polished aluminum surfaces, where it would streak and not flow out well enough so that you could not see it after it was done. So they used the regular 9H product on that polished part of the outer rim. {Wheel&Caliper is a slightly harder rating than 9H. I had heard something like 10 or 11. the scale goes from 0 - 16, where 16H is like a kiln fired ceramic plate in your kitchen}.

Also of Note: Currently CeramicPro products can only be bought through a certified installer. For years now they have tried to corner the market by tightly regulating the Certifications they gave out to shops. But we all knew that market would be a relatively short window. Word gets out, and chemical engineering is just chemical engineering (meaning other companies & distribution arms were bound to eventually catch on, and start producing & selling their own comparable stuff). My sources (birdies on the wall) say that market & business models are morphing right now. Other companies are getting in on the act.

Anyway,... if you really only want to DIY, there certainly are products out there for you. The Best?? .. who knows. Searching the web comes up with tons of choices. But I can only go with what I hear from the guys using the stuff (or at least "trying" various brands (Kenzo from IGL is the latest I'm researching).

It is all wiped on - no air-brush skills necessary. The good installers do use heat lamps though. When you do multiple coats, there is a specific amount of dry time to put the next coat on,... otherwise the product rejects itself. hence the reason I allowed the pro's to do my nicer cars. My garage doesn't have the clean room environment, with heat lamps, etc to do so many coats at once & have it all stick well to each coat.

Hope that helps!!
=Steve

Last edited by bweSteve; 02-04-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:49 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Yes, that is the car. He took a bit of abuse for trying to flip it but I kept my eye on it for a long long time until I was ready. I really wanted a modded car but sellers want top dollar and, while maybe they are worth it, I wanted a deal I could walk away from feeling happy with room to improve. I had it inspected by Callas Rennsport in California so I have every issue listed out and nothing is really bad. Worst thing it will need is maybe a clutch, some leaks to fix but nothing major, and an exhaust. Few other nits here and there but I love working on these cars so those will be mine to cover.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:53 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

bmwtmx - photos! slate grey sounds awesome, solid single stage or flaked?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speedlines or RH for sale?