Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

How to test fuel lines without air box and intercooler installed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 04:29 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts
Question How to test fuel lines without air box and intercooler installed?

I've finished the valve adjust (they were all very evenly in need of a small tighten which was nice, Franz Blam did the last one in 1999 - used backside method which one should be careful with >pls wiggle the no-go feeler< you may be getting a false read), installed new injectors and replaced all the sensors, spark plugs, vacuum lines and triangle of death seals. Tips: replace your IC to throttle body intake seal if it's been in place a few years, and make sure the metal rings inside the air intake tube to turbo connection are in place. I must have had some air leaking in underneath the clamp out of sight with the metal ring just sitting down the tube a bit.

Question: I am suspicious of the fuel line connections to the injectors and want to test for good seal before I reinstall everything on top. Is there a way? Or does the engine have to run? Should I just drop the IC into place to make the air meter connection and fire her up?
Old 10-14-2018, 05:18 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

You wouldn't want to be working on a 911 engine while it is running unless you have a death wish.
So here's how you can do it without putting yourself in danger:
(1) you need a service jumper with which you will trigger the fuel pumps to "on" for a short time. You can make one with a switch and two 16 gauge wired about 12 feet long each. Crimp spade connectors onto the wires at one end to insert into the relay receptacle and switch is at the other end. This is the only way to run the pumps without the engine running as the Turbo Control unit will not enable ignition or the pumps until it senses the engine being turned over.
(2) turn on the ignition, stand at the back of the car and flip the switch. You will hear the pumps running. Now push the air meter plate down for 5 seconds or until you hear the tone of injectors change. When the tone changes, all the air had been pushed out of the injectors and supply lines and the lines are pressurized. Don't get crazy with this or you could hydrolock your engine.
Have fun.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:17 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

Well, on my 73 car, working on while running is imperative, so that doesn't bother me. #mfi

I shall use this method, thanks.

Quick Reply: How to test fuel lines without air box and intercooler installed?