964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Another oil leak thread, plus a valve adjust question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 07:54 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Another oil leak thread, plus a valve adjust question

Found oil leak I was worried was a cylinder base. Any reason this would blow out, apart from just an old o-ring? Oil pressure reads normal ranges.

Regards valve adjusting on our cars - can it all be done from underneath? I'm thinking the top valve covers may be hard to get to, so I was planning to do it while I've got the top of the motor disassembled to replace alternator and fan bearing, injectors, vac hoses, spark plugs and fix this oil leak, etc. But if it can all be done from under I may save that piece for later.

Anything else I should replace / check / clean while I've got access up top?
Old 10-04-2018, 10:08 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

This is pretty common failure with these engines. I can't tell you how many people I know who paid for a full top end because their mechanic claimed the leak was more serious. Usually it is the washer/gasket at the base of the oil pressure sending unit but hard to tell it might be the oil temp sensor. Although I have seen on earlier cars where the oil temp sensor fails and it leaks out the top where the metal is crimped around the plastic top. Yours seems to have a ding or impression. You may consider changing all the gaskets and sensors while your at it just to be safe just be careful not to drop anything into the openings. It is cheap insurance vs pulling everything apart again.

Valve adjustments are a PITA with the engine in the car. Since you have it apart you might pull the side tins and have access from both top and bottom to do the top.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:32 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

You could just replace all the seals in that area - AKA Triangle of Death - or clean it up and do a couple drives and locate the exact source.

Typically the intake valves get adjusted from the top - some disassembly required to get decent access.

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
Old 10-04-2018, 03:43 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys - yes I decided to replace every sensor, sender and seal in the area (6 of em!). Couple of them were not cheap! But, I do like insurance. Will also do valve adjust while she's apart getting all the rest replaced.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:46 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Although I have seen on earlier cars where the oil temp sensor fails and it leaks out the top where the metal is crimped around the plastic top. Yours seems to have a ding or impression. You may consider changing all the gaskets and sensors while your at it just to be safe just be careful not to drop anything into the openings. It is cheap insurance vs pulling everything apart again.

Valve adjustments are a PITA with the engine in the car. Since you have it apart you might pull the side tins and have access from both top and bottom to do the top.
Anthony, you brought back one of my fondest memories. My oil pressure sensor was the first thing that failed on my '81 SC when I bought it.
I've done valve adjustments both ways (engine in and out of the car). I prefer engine out
Use the backside method to adjust valves. Here's a thread that Brandon and I were talking about it on: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turb...ng-valves.html
Old 10-04-2018, 03:49 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by urquattro20Vt
Typically the intake valves get adjusted from the top - some disassembly required to get decent access.
You must have long arms with two elbows in each arm.
Next time you do it all from the top, make a video because I want to see that
Old 10-04-2018, 04:39 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

WORKED THIS OUT - THE PET IS A BIT OFF HERE. SAME #40 ON MINE AS IN THE PET FOR 3.3.

There is one questionable sensor part number issue - sensor #40 on this picture - the diagram shows it only for the 3.3, but my 3.6 definitely has a switch there...hmmm which is it?

Last edited by wicks; 10-05-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:40 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
You must have long arms with two elbows in each arm.
Next time you do it all from the top, make a video because I want to see that
I said intake valves not all valves :-)

Personally I'll be doing the exhaust from the bottom.

Quick Reply: Another oil leak thread, plus a valve adjust question