964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Need: Instructions for changing spark plugs/belts

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 10:09 PM
964T
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Need: Instructions for changing spark plugs/belts

Does anyone have a link DIY spark plugs and belts on 91 964 Turbo? Most instructions I see are for naturally aspirated 964.

Seems to be a lot of things in the way
Old 11-26-2018, 11:50 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by 964T
Does anyone have a link DIY spark plugs and belts on 91 964 Turbo? Most instructions I see are for naturally aspirated 964.

Seems to be a lot of things in the way
These are all straightforward jobs.
You will have to take the air block tray off the sides of the engine to access the spark plugs underneath the car.
You will need the spark plug tool to remove the passenger's side forward plug. All other plugs can be removed with a conventional plug socket.
To change the AC/alternator belt you will have to slide the compressor toward the center of the engine and remove it. Then you can take the fan belt pulley apart and replace that belt.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:53 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Spark Plugs are pretty straight forward for Cyl 1-5. It's #6 (pass-side fwd) that required removing the engine tin back there.

when you say belts, can we assume you are not including the power steering belt, nor egr belt, both of which require you to drop the motor.

Probably referring to the main alternator/fan belt, and the A/C belt, both of which you can see spinning at the pulley attached to front of fan assembly.

The A/C ribbed belt is fairly easy too, with a simple loosening of the A/C unit from it's base bracket.

It's the alternator fan belt that cause frustration. I ended having that one done separately once my motor was pulled out of the car. But the BIG thing to remember on that belt, is that you should definitely also replace the plastic guide pulley (lower left side of the upper pulley), since it is regularly the main reason that belt gets cut & disintegrates (ask me how I know). That black plastic guide pulley gets old & brittle. Replace that too.

I never actually looked on line for DIY guides,... but maybe some exist on Pelican for the 964Turbo?

=Steve
Old 11-27-2018, 03:23 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Spark Plugs are pretty straight forward for Cyl 1-5. It's #6 (pass-side fwd) that required removing the engine tin back there.
That's why I say use the thin walled, spring handled socket in the tool kit.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:13 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Spot on Paul.

... our posts were 3 min apart. I was typing mine up & finishing, as you hit send....

=Steve
Old 11-28-2018, 01:18 AM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Spot on Paul.

... our posts were 3 min apart. I was typing mine up & finishing, as you hit send....

=Steve
LOL
Old 11-28-2018, 09:19 AM
964T
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Guys, thanks so much for your help!!! The passengers side spark plug removal look fine. I am wondering if I need to remove the waste gate or lines and soft braided hose to access the drivers side spark plugs.

Quick Reply: Need: Instructions for changing spark plugs/belts