Correct Radio for 1994 Turbo 3.6

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 09:55 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts
Default Correct Radio for 1994 Turbo 3.6

I would like to buy an original radio head for my '94. What would be the correct radio for the car please and a photo would be appreciated so that I don't screw things up.
FYI: It has an aftermarket head, but the wiring is NOT butchered

(I hope to post some photos of my '94 in the next 4 weeks. Some of you may recall when I bought my '94 around 3+ years ago I think? It was a 2-owner car, and I broke every rule that I have learned the hard way over the years. ...Anyhow, glass out and near full restoration, 2-3 years later and lots of money gone, but I love this car...)
Old 09-17-2018, 12:20 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

well,... I have a picture of Cobalt's radio,... but certainly know better than to post it. He will be the best to describe what it is & hopefully a pic along with it.

I'm interested in this, even if it's just more curiosity (for all the 964 Turbo years of radio's). This is primarily because I had always thought mine was an original 1991 Blaupunkt Miami. I had been told that by several folks over the years. But then, while at the Ozarks Parade last July, I stopped by the Porsche Classic tent and had DJ took a quick look at my radio. His first inclination was to say it was not original,.. although he could not tell me why he thought that.

He said that I could contact Atlanta Classic, and they would do some research to determine exactly what was available back then. I have not done that. At this point of owning for 14 years, with zero intention of ever selling, I guess I'm both afraid, and kinda don't give a sh$%. Oh well, there goes my quest for originality. This last round of PCA Parade judging might be the reason for my recent 180 & exit from caring about the originality of my car. It kinda left me wondering whether I'll put myself through the judging again. The judges were stodgy, they argued amongst themselves on what was right for the car, and in the end disqualified me for "preserving" the paint with Ceramic, when in fact I was entered in the "Preservation" class. ..... Afterwards, it was hilarious to hear from one of the original writers of the PCA's PCR's,.. as he said to me, "Did your car come waxed from the factory? What's the difference between waxing your car after it left the factory, verses wiping on a newer technology ceramic coating?" ... I simply "agreed". Lol.

I digress & don't want to hikjack the purpose of this thread.... so I'll stop.

Looking forward to hearing all the guys that believe theirs is original, and what it is.
=Steve
Old 09-17-2018, 09:18 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

The 94's came with either the CR-1 Cassette player or CD-2 CD player. There was also an optional 6 disc CD player that went in the frunk.

I hate to say it but these are some of the worst sounding head units i can think of. Considering Alpine (maker of these) made some great sounding head units back then I would have expected better. Although I rarely turn on teh radio in these cars.

These are very hard to come by assuming you can find one with a code to turn it on. Make sure it comes with the bezel which is also hard to find.

I don't seem to have a picture on file so Steve go ahead and post if you want.

I can look up the technik info for what radio you should have.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:56 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
This last round of PCA Parade judging might be the reason for my recent 180 & exit from caring about the originality of my car. It kinda left me wondering whether I'll put myself through the judging again. The judges were stodgy, they argued amongst themselves on what was right for the car, and in the end disqualified me for "preserving" the paint with Ceramic, when in fact I was entered in the "Preservation" class. ..... Afterwards, it was hilarious to hear from one of the original writers of the PCA's PCR's,.. as he said to me, "Did your car come waxed from the factory? What's the difference between waxing your car after it left the factory, verses wiping on a newer technology ceramic coating?" ... I simply "agreed". Lol.
I'm glad that you have a sense of humor about it, Steve, because if had been me, I'd be pissed after taking hours to prep my car to get judged in such a ridiculous manner.
My former neighbor trailed his pristine Boxster to to the Parade from California to Colorado a few years ago for the judging. He was disqualified because he didn't drive the car there.
All this sums up my attitude about the PCA in general. Snotty people doing snotty things to others.
In a way, I prefer the Ferrari guys; at least they are up front about their narcissism.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:06 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

^^ It wasn't always this way. It has become more so these past years or so and mostly at Parade level. The problem with concours is it is purely subjective. I have seen multiple times where heavy favoritism has made it easy for some to win while others get screwed. It's not supposed to work that way but it is a silly sport anyhow. As though nobody cheats in AX or Club Racing. LOL

You have a couple of the old timer Manhattan trophy winners still trying to call the shots at Parade. You have to play the rules and if there is nothing addressed in the rules for use of clear films or coatings to protect your paint when wax is the same general concept. (sacrificial barrier) you have to protest which does take the fun out of it. It all depends how important wining is to you. As Steve may recall when I was at Jay Peak Parade the Judges played all sorts of stupid games and the winning car was a joke. They deducted 5 full points for incorrect addition and I had to argue it. When it was finally resolved they wouldn't let me protest the rest of the BS deductions because they waisted too much of my time. My mistake for not arguing the BS deductions first the addition would have come out after they corrected their BS. The best was I Judged with the head of the concours program and he owns a 91 turbo and had no clue the tool kit he was looking at was for a boxster and not an early 993.

You go and have fun and who needs the cheap piece of plastic trophy there a PITA to dust. You know your car is stunning.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:30 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

well to be honest,.. I guess I have a light hearted approach to the whole thing, because {you are right} the "trophy" is not really why I am there. In the early years the judging actually DID help, because I was being judged by guys who had owned our cars, and knew them. AND they were very helpful with constructive criticism and knowledge of what-should-be-there & why. I learned a lot (plus the help from guys like BadBoys Mike who went out of his way to help me before our first national judging event. Big lesson there, was that IT WAS A GREAT WAY TO MEET COOL PEOPLE too. Sure there are the snoty folks, but they are easy to sniff out & stay clear. But there are golden nugget people out there too, and THOSE are the people worth me sticking my neck out to meet. Anthony & Mike are two of those people, and if it were not for PCA I would have never met them, played with their cars, partied with them, passed out in their living rooms! (I digress).... Oh, & I look at Rennlist the same way,... sure there are knuckleheads on here too,... but the good ones are easy to spot. Their writing gives it away immediately.

Anyway, if for NO OTHER REASON than to continue seeing cool cars out on beautiful golf course fairways,... yes I will enter a PCA Concours again. It is the cheapest BEST parking spot for the day. And the rest of the week is fun driving & parties. ... I might just go for "Touring" instead, and go easy on the cleaning prep.

Back to Igooz OP,... I just pulled out my external hard drive and found the pic of the Cobalt that I was thinking of. Unfortunately the radio is partially blocked by the steering wheel & from back far enough that when I zoom in, it gets fuzzy. Not worth posting & won't help. False alarm. Sorry bout that. You'll have to take some close ups that show the bezel as well.

=Steve
Old 09-17-2018, 06:01 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Yes we have had some good times. Next year we need to do more.

As far as the radio since we got so far off track the CD-2 without bezel shown. I keep all my old parts.

My 94 with the CR-1. I also have the 6 disc changer.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:54 PM
Laura
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic Radio

I would check out the radio that Porsche has released as a updated replacement with all the modern features we all want but with a retro look. (Sorry about the picture quality)
Old 09-18-2018, 03:10 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Thank you very much for the photo. I will try and track down an original radio. This is mostly for looks at this point. I’m guessing that they are the same for all 964s.

bweSteve, congratulations on GT3. They really are great cars.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:50 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I believe the early 964's came with the Stuttgart radio although for your 94 the ones I posted are correct.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:43 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
Thank you very much for the photo. I will try and track down an original radio. This is mostly for looks at this point. I’m guessing that they are the same for all 964s.

Igooz,

I have a spare CD2 with a broken CD player. The original in my car is this one, I then in 2010 bough another one that fully worked and it's stupid CD player broke also! So I cannot recommend these at all. Now I own 2 of these with broken CD players. Radioman says parts are available and he can repair them. Anyone use him and are parts available??

Steve
Old 09-19-2018, 09:09 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steven C.
Igooz,

I have a spare CD2 with a broken CD player. The original in my car is this one, I then in 2010 bough another one that fully worked and it's stupid CD player broke also! So I cannot recommend these at all. Now I own 2 of these with broken CD players. Radioman says parts are available and he can repair them. Anyone use him and are parts available??

Steve

these guys have done some work for friends with excellent results.

​​​​​​https://www.beckerautosound.com/
Old 09-19-2018, 09:13 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
these guys have done some work for friends with excellent results.

​​​​​​https://www.beckerautosound.com/
Thanks!
Old 09-19-2018, 02:16 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

My 94 came with a CR-1 with the CD player in the frunk. Also mated to a power amp under the passenger seat (the radio's speaker wires were left just dangling and the power amp connector carrying the audio signal to the amp, which the speaker wires run directly to. I upgraded the speakers with the new sets from Porsche Classic and the system sounds pretty good. But I'm actually using the tape player for fun, so I'm sort of going for the vintage sound. #duranduran
Old 09-21-2018, 05:00 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 506 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz

First step would be to be 100% sure of the kind of the radio that was fitted to your car. So, you could either order a certificate of authenticity, or more easily provide the equipment codes of your car.

Quick Reply: Correct Radio for 1994 Turbo 3.6