964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

3.6 Turbo Diagnostics

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 05:32 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts
Question 3.6 Turbo Diagnostics

Hi there - on a thread in the regular 964 forum about battery (both new and old) draining down in a few days, and testing all of the possible circuits that could be sapping the battery while parked.

I'm at the 'need to plug in to the system to read the alarm module to figure out what circuit is bad' stage, and it's quite confusing what's out there on OBD reading for this car. Can I plug in an adapter and get codes onto a regular old OBD1 scanner that will be useful? Or is this impossible on a 3.6 Turbo and I need to find someone with a Hammer to plug in?

These were my exam notes trying to track down drain circuit:

- Can the power windows be operated with ignition off out of car? NO
- Is glove box or frunk light sticking on? NO
- Door switches (int. lights) sticking? NO
- Are any relays hot? NO (I ASSUME THIS IS MEANT TO BE CHECKED WITH IGNITION OFF)
- Any hidden aftermarket accessories? NO
- Check engine lid light in the dark with lid closed NOT ON
- Does your alarm circuit throw a (double flash) of the red door buttons when you lock the car indicating a closed circuit and a small batt. drain? Ten seconds after locking, red diodes will give "quick DOUBLE flashes" if there is an open circuit. (Items monitored by alarm are: doors, engine & trunk lid lights, glove compartment, rear stowage compartment doors (rear seats delete), radio, immobilizing circuit in ignition, interior lights.) NO - THE DOOR LIGHTS BLINK 20 TIMES MORE QUICKLY WITH A SINGLE BLINK, THEN SLOWER SINGLE BLINKS
- Ash tray light? ONLY TURNS ON WHEN HEADLIGHTS SWITCH ON

- DME relay or other relay could be bad MY CAR HAS NO DME (1994 3.6turbo)
- Fuse one is CCU, which can have bad diode - see Tore B notes

Does this mean my CCU is bad or the immobilizer is acting up?
Old 09-11-2018, 12:43 AM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Last edited by wicks; 09-11-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:22 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

What is the best plan with alternator replacement / rebuild for one of our cars? Have narrowed my parasitic drain down to alternator diodes. So, I am debating whether to replace or have the original rebuilt. I wouldn't want ANY old electrical parts left in it, so wondering if I should shelve it and put a whole new one in. Anyone have experience replacing/rebuilding alternator here? FVD has a nice looking new Bosch unit (although it's $1200!).

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/9646031560...993-89-98.html

Much thanks.

Quick Reply: 3.6 Turbo Diagnostics