964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Won't start when hot debug

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 09:44 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts
Angry Won't start when hot debug

This problem has quickly evolved into a complete no-start when engine has been run longer and everything (including fuel system) is hot. 4 hours before cool enough to re-start. If I re-start within the first few minutes after long hot run, starts fine. If I wait 10 mins or more...4 hours.

So, reading other threads it sounds like the problem is 99% a CIS fuel pressure/boiling/vapor lock issue. Based on that, and the car's circumstance (34K miles, parked the last 10 years, fuel pumps and filter recently replaced) in what order would your best guess say I should replace:

- Warm up regulator
- Check valve
- Fuel accumulator

And what else?
Old 06-03-2018, 12:57 AM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

Fuel accumulator for sure
Old 06-03-2018, 01:18 AM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

First thing is hook up fuel pressure gauges so you can see if the system holds pressure. The manuals will tell you (sorry don’t know offhand) what residual pressure should be after x minutes, I believe.

But my first thought is accumulator and check valve.

I see no reason to get a new WUR, but I strongly suggest having it made adjustable so you can fine tune (in CIS standards) the car.

Always keep in mind the 3 most important things in terms of CIS working properly. In this order:
1. Fuel Pressure
2. Fuel Pressure
3. Fuel Pressure

i doubt its vapor lock. I just don’t hear about that much on these cars - unlike the old Audi 10 valve 5 cylinder turbo motors. Loved that motor but notorious for vapor locking.

Brandon
Old 06-03-2018, 08:41 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by urquattro20Vt
First thing is hook up fuel pressure gauges so you can see if the system holds pressure. The manuals will tell you (sorry don’t know offhand) what residual pressure should be after x minutes, I believe.

But my first thought is accumulator and check valve.

I see no reason to get a new WUR, but I strongly suggest having it made adjustable so you can fine tune (in CIS standards) the car.

Always keep in mind the 3 most important things in terms of CIS working properly. In this order:
1. Fuel Pressure
2. Fuel Pressure
3. Fuel Pressure

i doubt its vapor lock. I just don’t hear about that much on these cars - unlike the old Audi 10 valve 5 cylinder turbo motors. Loved that motor but notorious for vapor locking.

Brandon
Minimum pressure after 10 minutes - 1.6 bar
Minimum pressure after 20 minutes - 1.4 bar
Brandon, you doubt it's vapor lock? That's exactly what is happening here. Wicks states that the car won't start after a 10 minute heat soak. If it were the WUR, the car wouldn't run at all.
Hard or no starting after heat soak is frequently caused by a faulty accumulator.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:11 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Thanks muchly - I'm going to replace the accumulator and check valve while I'm in there. As well as plugs, cap/rotor and such, and maybe tackle the valve adjust and possibly pull the injectors to go for clean/flow.

What else should I clean/check/replace/adjust while I have the cooler off and such?

Do soft fuel lines go bad causing pressure issues? (a frequent issue on the old MFI cars)

- check vacuum lines
- pressure relief valve?
- ?
- ?
Old 06-04-2018, 01:31 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Minimum pressure after 10 minutes - 1.6 bar
Minimum pressure after 20 minutes - 1.4 bar
Brandon, you doubt it's vapor lock? That's exactly what is happening here. Wicks states that the car won't start after a 10 minute heat soak. If it were the WUR, the car wouldn't run at all.
Hard or no starting after heat soak is frequently caused by a faulty accumulator.
Yes you are right. My bad. Not sure where my head was at. Nice to have a fuel systems engineer on the board to keep us in line when we (I) say stupid stuff.

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'00 Audi S4 highly mod'd DD
Old 06-04-2018, 04:13 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wicks
Thanks muchly - I'm going to replace the accumulator and check valve while I'm in there. As well as plugs, cap/rotor and such, and maybe tackle the valve adjust and possibly pull the injectors to go for clean/flow.

What else should I clean/check/replace/adjust while I have the cooler off and such?

Do soft fuel lines go bad causing pressure issues? (a frequent issue on the old MFI cars)

- check vacuum lines
- pressure relief valve?
- ?
- ?
Fuel filter.
New fuel lines are expensive. A hydraulic shop could crimp new hoses on the old lines. You probably would have to supply the hose.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:14 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by urquattro20Vt
Yes you are right. My bad. Not sure where my head was at. Nice to have a fuel systems engineer on the board to keep us in line when we (I) say stupid stuff.
I am a known offender too.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:57 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Any tips on removing the rear fuel lines from accumulator? 17mm wrench on em, won't budge. And not a lot of levering space. Front one came off by circumstantially having the special 17mm tool for old MFI pump handy. It doesn't fit around back.

Do people remove the lines from where they go rather, and drag the accumulator out with them attached? Seems tough with the hard lines.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:13 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Got this one. Still NTK if distrib gets greased/oiled...

Last edited by wicks; 06-05-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:27 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

deleted
Old 06-06-2018, 01:51 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Haha! It was good though. Yes was just talking getting the hoses loose was sorted. Pls help with distrib question and vac hose question!
Old 06-06-2018, 02:26 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

Thnx Wicks. I saw your other thread re: Vac connections -
>>> https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turb...tion-hose.html
.. so I'll reply over there, since I just looked at my car.

Re: Distributor, I'm interested in this answer re: grease too,.. since I've never messed with mine,... so it may need it.
=Steve
Old 06-07-2018, 10:41 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wicks
Any tips on removing the rear fuel lines from accumulator? 17mm wrench on em, won't budge. And not a lot of levering space. Front one came off by circumstantially having the special 17mm tool for old MFI pump handy. It doesn't fit around back.
Usually, if you have short wrenches, you can put one on the line and one on the counter force fitting on the accumulator and position them so that you can squeeze them together with one hand and loosen the line. Also, if it will fit, always try to use a fuel line style wrench on the fuel line fitting so you don't round it off.
I'm not near my car a the moment so I can't check what I'm saying until tonight.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:40 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Replacement of Accumulator solved this issue. Thanks Helio and all. Stragely, I have a little bit of dieseling now, which I can live with. Still more tune-up work to do.

Quick Reply: Won't start when hot debug