Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Reducing 3.6 lag possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 08:01 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

If your talking that much budget and no engine yet(?) you have a myriad of options. I am confused to your reference of it being a 3.2 and not a 3.3?

You can turbo a stock N/A 3.6 change out the P&C's to low compression twin turbo, arp studs new valve guides custom exhaust, etc etc and have a monster of car for that budget.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:29 PM
There's no Sub!
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
If your talking that much budget and no engine yet(?) you have a myriad of options. I am confused to your reference of it being a 3.2 and not a 3.3?

You can turbo a stock N/A 3.6 change out the P&C's to low compression twin turbo, arp studs new valve guides custom exhaust, etc etc and have a monster of car for that budget.
Cobalt I know you are in the know.
I want a long lasting engine with these parameters.
If your going low compression is there an advantage to doing Twin turbo? How would you build one if it was to remain streetable. What compression?
This is for mostly street/ backroading. Unfortunately in south Missouri not a track within a couple hrs.
yes 3.3 brain fart.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:43 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

I am currently rebuilding my track 993 engine due to a defective valve. It let go for no reason and we are scratching our heads to why. We are leaning towards a week valve spring that caused the failure. The engine was otherwise clean so I need a new head and P&C's to get her back up and running.

It looks like my budget will use Manley custom pistons with a 10:1 or 10.5:1 CR using a vram intake or possibly a later 996GT3RSR or 997GT3RSR intake and keeping the twin turbo IC setup. I already have the haltech installed so it is just tuning once it is back together. Engine was being detuned before it let go but we were seeing 450 torque to the wheels and never got the HP numbers finalized but could have easily reached 600 to the wheels but I doubt the sock rods would hold up to long term abuse. With the 8:1 compression P&C we can dial it into whatever we want. Thinking 4-5 pound WG springs and then using a boost controller to optimize it. I will have a better idea how it works in a few weeks hopefully.

I will also be installing the Ti valve spring retainers and stiffer valve springs to make sure this doesn't happen again. It can get very pricey but you should be able to easily build what you want within your budget. The trick is to have working knowledge or someone who does to tune it. there are endless options with these new ECU's. You can add traction control, drive by wire throttle, knock controls how you want over revs to kick in (Soft cut in early) and whatever you can think of if you reach deep enough into the wallet.

BTW I am not looking for huge HP. I would be happy with 400 to the wheels using pump gas. The car only weighs 3650 wet and with the short geared box really moved with the 336tq and hp to the wheels it put down before.

Last edited by cobalt; 08-08-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:56 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by There's no Sub!
I was thinking $40-$60K type of budget. Are any of the turbos listed ball barring turbos? Thoughts on those?
Like Anthony said, $40-60k opens up a lot of possibilities.
I have no direct experience with the Garrett GT3r ball bearing turbo (the most popular Garrett for a 930/965 due to it's size) but a friend of mine here in Detroit has one installed on his 930 and he is very happy with it.
I went with the hybird K27/K29 because it was almost a direct bolt-on (but I did have to make a new turbo bracket) and I didn't feel like going through a lot of custom fabrication work. Re-working my exhaust twice cured me of that.
Just remember the farther you get from stock, the more reliability issues you will experience.
The stock engine was durability tested by the factory in the desert and in sub-Artic Canada (or maybe it was Norway ) The hot rodded stuff doesn't get developed that way for obvious reasons.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:04 PM
SG5
2nd Gear

I'm interested in your mods, could you review with little more detail how do those decat and wastegate spring upgrades improved your car's performance?

is it worth to do over OEM? I have no idea of how hard is the stock turbo spooling, any idea of what psi is giving? I'm sure it has a lot of room for a remap also

I don't care about lag either as long as I have endless power above
Old 07-01-2019, 11:39 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SG5
I'm interested in your mods, could you review with little more detail how do those decat and wastegate spring upgrades improved your car's performance?

is it worth to do over OEM? I have no idea of how hard is the stock turbo spooling, any idea of what psi is giving? I'm sure it has a lot of room for a remap also

I don't care about lag either as long as I have endless power above
No cat, custom headers, dual wastegates set at .8 bar, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Leask WUR, lightweight flywheel.
I have excellent acceleration that kicks in at around 2800 rpm. I do not have "endless power" as the turbo is sized for low end power and I couldn't fuel a big turbo like a K7006 at high engine speeds with K-Jet.
If you want big power at the redline, you sacrifice low end performance and vice versa.
Big power at the redline will necessitate a lot of changes. That kind of engine won't be "stock".
The following users liked this post:
SG5 (07-01-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 05:44 PM
SG5
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
No cat, custom headers, dual wastegates set at .8 bar, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Leask WUR, lightweight flywheel.
I have excellent acceleration that kicks in at around 2800 rpm. I do not have "endless power" as the turbo is sized for low end power and I couldn't fuel a big turbo like a K7006 at high engine speeds with K-Jet.
If you want big power at the redline, you sacrifice low end performance and vice versa.
Big power at the redline will necessitate a lot of changes. That kind of engine won't be "stock".
well, for me the 964 turbo 3.6 has very good power even stock when I said endless power I wanted to say big top-end power. It's enough for me.
By the way that's a very good improvement you made to your car, sounds interesting, did you remap it also, didn't you

I don't wanna go too crazy with this project, I have to keep almost stock it's my first Porsche project also it's not for myself but for a relative, I was thinking of doing few easy mods I was thinking about upgrading the wastegate spring, throwing a high flow panel air filter, perhaps decat and headers as well, not sure and remapping it altogether would give me a nice noticeable power increase, how difficult is to remap those cars? recently I built a 291 bhp subaru forester and tuning it up was easy, not sure about these German glories
Old 07-02-2019, 09:47 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SG5
well, for me the 964 turbo 3.6 has very good power even stock when I said endless power I wanted to say big top-end power. It's enough for me.
By the way that's a very good improvement you made to your car, sounds interesting, did you remap it also, didn't you
Turbos used Bosch K-Jetronic fuel injection until 1997. K-Jet is a hydro-mechanical continuous fuel injection system.
Enrichment for more mass flow is done via modification to the warm-up regulator (WUR). If you know what the new setting is, you can buy a modded one from Flowtech. If you don't then you need a Leask adjustable WUR and a Innovate Motorsports exhaust analyzer (or dyno time and pray the dyno operators don't blow your engine up) to find the correct enrichment.

Originally Posted by SG5
I don't wanna go too crazy with this project, I have to keep almost stock it's my first Porsche project also it's not for myself but for a relative, I was thinking of doing few easy mods I was thinking about upgrading the wastegate spring, throwing a high flow panel air filter, perhaps decat and headers as well, not sure and remapping it altogether would give me a nice noticeable power increase, how difficult is to remap those cars? recently I built a 291 bhp subaru forester and tuning it up was easy, not sure about these German glories
If you like it stock, keep it stock.
When you get tired of the way it runs, go with the bolt-on parts. Sounds like you can turn a wrench so if you stay with the bolt-on stuff, K-Jet can provide the fuel.
The following users liked this post:
SG5 (07-02-2019)

Quick Reply: Reducing 3.6 lag possible?