964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Car magazine(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 04:36 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Car magazine(s)?

Hi all - I'm polling a few forums I frequent (here...Pelican...and Audi forum) - I'm curious what car magazine(s) you subscribe to?

The only magazine I felt was worth subscribing to stopped production several months ago :-( and I'm looking for ideas....

What is it about that magazine(s) that make it worth subscribing to?
Old 12-02-2017, 03:07 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Back in the days of brick & mortar bookstores, I would buy Excellence (almost always), 911 and Porsche World (usually) and GT Purley Porsche (sometimes). I never had a subscription to any of them.
Now, nothing.
All the ones I liked are still around.
Which one quit publishing?

Last edited by Metal Guru; 12-04-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:05 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Hemming's Sports & Exotic. Was a great mag. Pretty much all cool old stuff. Good variety. No new cars, no minivans, crossovers etc etc.
All the P-car magazines - seems like they all each have an article to appeal to each of the P car types, an air cooled article, a Cayenne article, a water cooled article...etc.
I like the variety of other marques, too....
Old 12-05-2017, 10:52 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

I enjoy reading about some of the newer stuff as well a the old stuff.
I bought one issue of the Hemmings mag some years ago b/c it had an article on a cool Mexico blue 930. Too bad it's not around any longer.
Is Octane still being published?
Old 12-05-2017, 01:29 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by urquattro20Vt
Hi all - I'm polling a few forums I frequent (here...Pelican...and Audi forum) - I'm curious what car magazine(s) you subscribe to?

The only magazine I felt was worth subscribing to stopped production several months ago :-( and I'm looking for ideas....

What is it about that magazine(s) that make it worth subscribing to?
A lot of magazines have stopped production. A number of good ones mentioned above are still going, Octane among them.

I used to go to newsstands and do the very same thing as Paul. Now, not so much—and I'm in the business of magazines. I tend to see magazines on sale only at airports and grocery stores, neither of which are terribly conducive to the kinds of niche publications I am most interested in. So a few colleagues and I designed a magazine for the "after" of the newsstand era. You can check it out via the Instagram or Facebook link under my avatar, or directly at 000magazine.com. It's a totally different business model, and a very different kind of magazine. Fewer issues, fewer ads, more pages, a lot more content (260 pages with 93-95% editorial content), and more time to work through an issue at your leisure before the next one comes.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:10 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stout
I used to go to newsstands and do the very same thing as Paul. Now, not so much—and I'm in the business of magazines. I tend to see magazines on sale only at airports and grocery stores, neither of which are terribly conducive to the kinds of niche publications I am most interested in. So a few colleagues and I designed a magazine for the "after" of the newsstand era. You can check it out via the Instagram or Facebook link under my avatar, or directly at 000magazine.com. It's a totally different business model, and a very different kind of magazine. Fewer issues, fewer ads, more pages, a lot more content (260 pages with 93-95% editorial content), and more time to work through an issue at your leisure before the next one comes.
Seems to be reminiscent of the old Automobile Quarterly magazine.
Nice.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:39 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

I still love print magazines. I know I'm in the minority tho. I like to take a break from work - go get lunch and read a good car magazine. Or sit on my front porch on nice afternoons and read a magazine. Not into reading on my phone if I don't have to.

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'00 Audi S4 highly mod'd DD
Old 12-07-2017, 09:18 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I also appreciate a good magazine now and again although most of my time does end up scouring forums and the internet for information.
000 Magazine that Stout references above is excellent. I have a subscription and will be renewing. At $250 it’s not cheap but you won’t find that content anywhere else and its something you’ll need to read more than a couple of times to really capture and retain all the detail unless you have a photographic memory. Lots of great history and very detailed articles.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:50 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 590 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Seems to be reminiscent of the old Automobile Quarterly magazine.
Nice.
Kind of. There are even some talk about doing horizontal format early on, but I never loved the idea. 000 is kind of meant to be a car magazine for people who love car magazines, done to a different level. Some do say we should call it a book, and we pursued that level of paper quality and printing (it's actually printed at a book printer) but we wanted to preserve the engagement and breadth of topics found in magazines. 000 definitely isn't for everyone, but readers seem to dig it. And I can tell you, I was very scared the night before we launched!

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I also appreciate a good magazine now and again although most of my time does end up scouring forums and the internet for information.
000 Magazine that Stout references above is excellent. I have a subscription and will be renewing. At $250 it’s not cheap but you won’t find that content anywhere else and its something you’ll need to read more than a couple of times to really capture and retain all the detail unless you have a photographic memory. Lots of great history and very detailed articles.
Thanks, and thanks for renewing!
Old 12-07-2017, 06:34 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Funny enough - the current issue of GT Porsche mag has an article on the 964 Turbo - it's a positive article, but overall just another magazine article that skims the surface - provides some data and story we've all heard 10 times - very little in the way of saying anything new or providing updated editorial insight or thoughts about the car. In my opinion.

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'00 Audi S4 highly mod'd DD
Old 01-20-2018, 10:48 PM
gbgastowers
Rennlist Member

Location: Holden Beach and Winston-Salem, North Carolina 82 928 Euro S 5spd MOSS GREEN/CHAMPAGNE-04 996 C4S CONV TIP POLAR SILVER/METROPOL BLUE
Received 283 Likes on 162 Posts

This is a good one. Also enjoy Auto Week. I get them all​​​​​​​
Old 01-21-2018, 10:26 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 246 Posts

Octane (although I'm not a fan of the recent revamp)
Classic & Sportscar

Quick Reply: Car magazine(s)?