964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 11:28 AM
Doms964TurboII
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!

Please help! I think this is one of the fuel pumps, but I really don't know.

Car stars fine and then dies immediately, unless I keep holding the key in the start position (starter gear not engaged!) then it runs fine and will rev with no issues, until the moment the key is released.
Also awful noise was coming from the back (thought it sounded like one of the pumps making a racket) I would really appreciate a few more opinions before spending again!
Many Thanks
Old 11-21-2017, 01:34 PM
Doms964TurboII
Instructor

Apparently both fuel pumps in the front, so strange noise from rear not fuel pump
Old 11-21-2017, 01:41 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 659 Posts

so if you're holding your key all the way in the starting position, then it occurs to me that your starter gear is still trying to engage your flywheel,... which would indeed make a racket of a noise while the engine is running. I would recommend NOT doing that, as your starter gears & flywheel gears engaged are essentially trying to hold your motor back from running freely. Especially dangerous if you are revving the engine too. But I'm also thinking that if you really are doing all that, by revving the engine it would probably blow your starter motor (or strip the gears).

This sounds like 1 or 2 things: 1) It could be an electrical problem that when your key snaps back to its normal run position (& your starter motor disengages), the engine dies quickly (without any stumbling), then it could be a key ignition problem in your dash.
or
2) If, when you release your key back to normal run position, the engine stumbles as it is dying,... then yes, it could still be a lack of, or reduction in fuel.

=Steve
Old 11-21-2017, 03:23 PM
Doms964TurboII
Instructor

Thanks BWE but no I wouldn't be doing that, noise was nothing like that, plus the motor revs out fine with the ignition over to the start position. ie starter gear engages, engine fires up no problem, starter gear disengages, then if you release the key it stops, Keep the key turned and its fine. (revs out and can be driven)
Thought it must be something electrical and/or fuel pump, (always thought there was one in the front and one in the back, but apparently they are both in the front. -only ever had to change one before)
Also the factory PA 2000 alarm system is being refurbished and is out of the car, but it ran without it before (not far tho)

Anyone know the answer to these questions?
What is in the back that sounds like a fuel pump just before starting and running? (That sound is a constant and it was suddenly much louder and now I can hardly hear it)
Is there a different electrical or fuel circuit that runs only when starting?
Old 11-22-2017, 02:32 AM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

When you turn the ignition on(pre starter) you will hear the fuel pumps and the break booster accumulator come on and "hum". Once you engage the starte and the eminent fires and you release the key, only for the engine to die sounds li,e an issue with the ignition switch in the dash ( bad contact). When you turn the key to the ignition position do you see dash lights and hear pumps ETC start up or is it silent? If nothing happens with key in that position it would lend credence to ignition switch issue. Noise in the engine area could be anything, blower motor bearing, alternator bearing, ac compressor bearing ETC etc....hard to tell from words on a page I'm afraid....if you have a good mchanic I'd take it to them.....it's a valuable asset and guessing at issue will cost time and money and not a solution...she's an expensive asset worth the time to get her looked at. Don't think I would,drive her until you understand what's going on.
Good luck and remember this advice is only an opinion....
Old 11-22-2017, 10:44 AM
Doms964TurboII
Instructor

Thanks
re
When you turn the key to the ignition position do you see dash lights and hear pumps ETC start up ?
Yes

It will be going to a mechanic, I just like to have a good idea myself first. I have a lot of professional experience with 80s 911s and I bought the car over a R32 (great decision in retrospect lol) because I thought I could do a lot of the work myself! I should be able to work it out, however electrics are not my forte really.
clearly lol
Thx again guys
Old 11-29-2017, 07:52 AM
Doms964TurboII
Instructor

Turns out it was the solenoid in the starter motor
Old 11-29-2017, 08:22 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad you got it sorted....and the part was available��
Old 11-30-2017, 01:09 PM
Doms964TurboII
Instructor

Bosch, apparently fits all from late 80's to the end of 993
Didnt call a stealership but did shop around, people that said they were cheap online £330 odd.
found one brand new £119 inc P&P!
We must remember 80% of the original sale value of the car is contracted to 3rd parties !
Hard work finding out who made turbo head studs tho !

Quick Reply: Help!