964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Injectors replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 08:02 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Injectors replacement?

Has anyone pulled their injectors on their C2 Turbo's before? Were they in good shape, bad shape? I am thinking about doing an injector replacement and/or cleaning, but wanted to know if anyone has any experience doing that.

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2003, 06:05 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Farzaan, did you get an answer to your question elsewhere ?
It's a very good question, strange that there are so little information about replacing injectors on these cars, I would like to interpret this as they last.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:21 PM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

I bought new injectors and fell that this is an over looked area of maintance & opertunity.

The old squirted more than sprayed. Felt like I picked up some low end response.

I'd send them out to a shop that can clean them and test them for balance.

Brent sent his out and after the cleaning they did not ballance well. The shop had a bunch to pick from so they assembled him a matched set.

W new it would still be interesting to have them checked for balance if you are going all out.

Of cource, if your fuel head is not delivering matched flows?

Keith
Old 12-18-2003, 04:23 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Thanks Keith

I found a Bosch service station in the neighbourhood, will have them check pressures, spray patterns, pump capacity, etc. the whole thing.

I guess I will have to remove the IC before giving them access to the engine compartement, is there anything else I should know about ?

Just waiting for the snow to melt away, at least temporarly, so that I can take my car for testspin after replumbing the EBC, valve adjustment, oil change and cleaned air filter.

The good thing with a long, cold and dark winter is that there is plenty of time for maintenence....
Old 12-18-2003, 04:49 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

My shop wants four hours labour to re&re the injectors. Firstly, does sound about right and secondly, Kevin, did you feel any difference in idle quality, performance, etc. after replacing the injectors?

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2003, 09:52 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

FC, I'd send your old injectors to C&C Fuel Injection at 775 329-9974. Ask for Dave and tell him I sent you. You'll definately notice a difference, especially at the lower duty cycle of the injection (Idle, cruise)
Old 12-18-2003, 05:19 PM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

Geoffrey,

Do they do CIS injectors also?

Only ask caus you mentioned duty cycle which is more of an EFI term.

Keith
Old 12-29-2003, 04:56 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Thanks for all the great replies. I am convinced that cleaning the injectors properly should be on the schedule for the new year. My next question is, what is involved in removing the injectors and sending them off for clearning? Is this a DIY job that will take "X" number of hours or is this something best left for the repair shop?

Thanks,
Farzaan
Old 12-29-2003, 07:00 PM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

Disconect battery, you will loose some gas on your motor.

Remove intercooler,

remove pipe from air box to turbo,
use claw foot to hold injector w open end to remove supply.

Now use socket to unscrew injector.

Watch for the coper washers under the injector.

After reinstall, check they don't leak.

A good time to replace your plugs, wired & cap.

Keith
Old 12-29-2003, 07:02 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Thanks Keith, do you have a estimated timeframe for this work. Sounds like 2 hours???
Old 01-14-2004, 04:56 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

I'm going to tackle the injector cleaning/replacement this weekend. Does anyone know the part number for the injector o-rings?

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2004, 11:20 AM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Fc-racer,

I believe it's the following: 999 701 395 50 (o-ring)

Best regards

Emilios
Old 01-18-2004, 05:02 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Thanks for all the help and replies. Worked on the injectors today; took out the intercooler, intercooler pipe to turbo and the metal airbox to get to the injectors. There is one that is almost impossible to get to.

The injectors in general seemed to have rather poor spray patterns, although I didn't have any new ones to compare to. I was expecting them to look pretty good with one being obviously bad (contributing to my inconsistent lumpy idle). Testing them one at a time, I finally found one that had horrible spray patterns under low load (pressing down slightly on the plate with the pumps on). It had no atomization at all, just a straight line of fuel shooting out at low load. At high load, it sprayed decently.

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to get new injectors ordered so I put that bad one in the easiest to reach location so I can replace it within 1hr once it comes in. I cleaned the injectors by blasting them with cleaner using the small red straws that come with brake clean, etc. That seemed to work well, then dried them out using air. Even in that situation, the bad one would spray 6-7 individual lines of liquid instead of a nice cone shaped atomized spray.

The total time to re&re was 3hrs including learning along the way and taking it really slowly.

Even with the bad injector still there and only cleaning, the car runs smoother and has more low end torque. We found an exhaust leak before the turbo which I will be fixing shortly. The new injector, cat by-pass and fixed exhaust leak should give me some new found low end torque and response. Maybe that will allow me to hold off on the 993T purchase for another year

Thanks for the help. When I replace the bad injector, I'll let you guys know if that solves the idle. If not, I'll replace all of them and see if that does it.

Take care.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:04 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Oh, another interesting thing. I ordered the injector o-rings, they came as thin black soft o-rings. When I took the injectors out, they were metal crush washers. I decided to use the crush washers because they looked to be far more sturdy in that hostile environment than the rubber ones that I just ordered.

Has anyone had rubber o-rings on their injectors on the turbos?
Old 06-27-2018, 08:09 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Injector replacement

Hello Porsche friends

I am thinking about doing an injector replacement , I

Last edited by heliolps2; 06-27-2018 at 10:23 PM. Reason: delete started new thread

Quick Reply: Injectors replacement?