Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pad Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 03:16 PM
fftfk
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Alright - so I got the car up on jack stands and took off the wheels to begin the brake pad replacement. Both front suspension boots (not sure if that is the correct term) have tears in them. Is this a cause for concern?

In addition, one front wheel hub (not sure on the name) has a gouge out of it:

I'm pretty sure both of these repairs are beyond my skill level. Please let me know your thoughts.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:52 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 339 Posts

The hub damage is unusual but unless there was evidence of it spreading I'd leave it until another day.

That said the suspension cover split and more particularly the bump stop deterioration suggest that is well worn. I'd be replacing the struts if it was my car.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:36 PM
fftfk
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Yes, textar is fine, no need to by from the factory.

Anything else? It depends on the condition of the rest of your brakes. I would inspect your rotors if they have a lip of 1mm, then you need new rotors. I don't run the mushrooms nor the brake wear sensors on my cars but if you do, you may want new ones. You should flush your brake fluid every few years. When you do, don't forget to bleed the clutch slave too.

While you have the car up in the air, I would inspect the CV boots and sway bar drop links for cracks. Also check your tires for uneven wear.
Alright - stupid question time. I have a tiptronic so there is no clutch slave, right? The clutch slave is specifically related to manual transmissions. In the class of my tip, all I do is replace the brake fluid and bleed the brakes?

Thanks for all of the help.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:17 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by fftfk
Alright - stupid question time. I have a tiptronic so there is no clutch slave, right? The clutch slave is specifically related to manual transmissions. In the class of my tip, all I do is replace the brake fluid and bleed the brakes?

Thanks for all of the help.
Correct, no slave for Tippy. Just use turkey syringe or similar to extract as much old fluid as you can then refill reservoir with new fluid then bleed calipers.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Questions