Sponsored by:

964 Tool Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 11:34 PM
Flatsixer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 964 Tool Kit

Does anyone have a photo of a complete 964 tool kit ? How many pieces should it contain ? Regards, Brady
Old 11-19-2003, 05:17 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here you go, as far as I know this is complete.

Old 11-19-2003, 05:39 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I've also got a little 'plucker' for pulling off the covers from the locking wheel bolts. I think that was in the kit if you had 17" wheels.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:14 AM
Michael Delaney
Racer

I don't have the item immediately to the left of the towing loop. What is that used for? TIA
Old 11-19-2003, 02:14 PM
Flatsixer
Instructor

Thanks Riccardo !!! It looks like my kit is complete. I was unsure because I had a few empty pockets.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:41 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Flatsixer
Thanks Riccardo !!! It looks like my kit is complete. I was unsure because I had a few empty pockets.
I still find it rather odd that the tool pouch and the tools were apparently developed by two independent teams when the 964 was being designed, and the 2 teams failed to talk to each other.

This gave us the tool kit that we have, where nothing appears to have a natural place!
Old 11-19-2003, 09:21 PM
Flatsixer
Instructor

Does anybody know if one tool kit was designed for all markets ? I noticed one of my tools is different then what Riccardo has displayed. Regards, Brady
Old 11-20-2003, 12:54 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Roy, the tool directly to the left of the tow hook is an extension for the "star"(ribe) tool for your alternator shaft, the "L" shaped tool that has a black annodized ribe end on it, similar to an allen wrench.

Riccardo, it appears you are missing an emergency sunroof open/close tool...I'm not positive if that came in the tool kit, or was tucked away in your owner's manual, I've heard differing stories.

I have one!
Old 11-20-2003, 03:22 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

I have the 17 inch turbo cup wheels (originally on the car, as I can see in the window sticker), but am missing the "plucker" as john calls it (good description of what it does!) for the caps on the wheel lock covers. This coming spring I am replacing all the tires, so I'll probably try to pull these things off myself with a wire hanger, so the shop doesn't mess up the "pluckers" in the rear- the hole is so deep its tough to get in there. Anyone have a picture of the "plucker", or better yet know where I can buy one?

Andrew
Old 11-20-2003, 04:05 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Here's a picture...
Old 11-20-2003, 05:08 PM
Michael Delaney
Racer

Thanks Jeff, I know it's a small thing, but it's the small things that drive us crazy. I have a few of those that used to come with allen wrench sets. Same principle.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:27 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't there supposed to be some kind of crescent shaped tool to help you change the fan belts, or is that just for the ealier cars?
Old 11-20-2003, 05:43 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

That's it? Well, I guess I can just use a bent wire shirt hanger then. Thanks for the picture- I know that's no in my tool kit...
Old 11-21-2003, 03:10 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I think you'll find coat hanger 'wire' is too thick, but something of that ilk out to do.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:02 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Andy, sounds like you're asking about the rigid "spanner" wrench for the earlier 911s??

This is NOT needed on the 964 and above...all you need is the box-end wrench, the ribe tool (looks like an allen wrench) and it's extension to change the belts...all provided in the tool kit.

While we are on the subject:

When I was visiting Horst in Missouri a few years ago, he brought up a VERY good idea...every now and then, break that nut loose, using the tools...or you might be out of luck for an "easy" job when you do happen to break a belt.

We went to break mine loose, which I had NEVER attempted to do before, and it wouldn't budge. Horst went and got a piece of 2 x 4, rested the ribe tool against it by rotating the alternator fan around until it lodged itself against the 2 x 4 that was sitting in a strategic position in the engine bay and used the wrench to break the nut loose.

You DO NOT want to strip out the splines in the shaft where the ribe tool goes!

I remember thinking, "WOW, why didn't I think of that?"

What some people may not realize is that by using the wrench to break the nut loose, and not attempting to lodge or hold the wrench in one position, while planning to use the ribe tool to rotate the alternator/fan shaft - you stand a MUCH better change of providing a decent amount of force to the assembly to break the nut loose.

SO...that was the perfect day for a good lesson.

...and boy was I nervous, because NOTHING was broke - so I didn't want to fix it!! I had driven over 1000miles at that point and was headed to an event at Heartland Park, in KS.

Horst sent me on my way, with a brand spankin' new spare belt, just in case.

Quick Reply: 964 Tool Kit