Best Oil Cooler upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 07:57 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Oil Cooler upgrade

So I finally got back into a 964. Out of all the different 911 that I have owned this model is by far my favorite. This will be my first non turbo 964 (92 Carrera 2). I am looking to upgrade the oil cooler as summer is now upon us here in Texas. It is hot! Please give any suggestions that you might have.

Mike

Last edited by SA Mike; 06-06-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:56 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

This one

http://www.carnewal.com/products/P64.../GT-Oil-Cooler

It installs behind the factory ac condenser.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:23 AM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
This one

http://www.carnewal.com/products/P64.../GT-Oil-Cooler

It installs behind the factory ac condenser.
Wow definatley priced like it's the best, lol. Thanks!
Old 06-07-2017, 09:29 AM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

I dunno.....

Ad says it mounts in front of AC condenser. Do you really want to pre-heat the AC exchanger ??
Old 06-07-2017, 01:05 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by SA Mike
Please give any suggestions that you might have.
I would wait and see how the existing cooler functions. Even in 100F degree heat these tend to do just fine except for when sitting in traffic at idle for extended periods of time. And even then...

I am looking to upgrade the oil cooler as summer is now upon us here in Texas
When the CCU detects a fault with the oil temperature sensor, it will automatically switch the oil cooler fan to high speed mode. You can take advantage of this by installing a switch that will turn the fan on @ high speed and more than cover any cooling concerns that you have.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:13 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
I would wait and see how the existing cooler functions. Even in 100F degree heat these tend to do just fine except for when sitting in traffic at idle for extended periods of time.

When the CCU detects a fault with the oil temperature sensor, it will automatically switch the oil cooler fan to high speed mode. You can take advantage of this by installing a switch that will turn the fan on @ high speed and more than cover any cooling concerns that you have.
Good advice here. Also, be sure the current cooler is clean. Likewise make sure the cylinder cooling fins are clean. Unless someone has done that recently, I'm betting they are not. After you are sure of that, monitor and then see if you need additional cooling capacity. Most likely not needed once all is back close to "as designed".

Keep us posted!
Old 06-07-2017, 03:30 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Congrats on getting back into a 964.
Didn't you once own a Signal Green 3.6T? What a car, can only imagine what that car is worth now.

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
I would wait and see how the existing cooler functions. Even in 100F degree heat these tend to do just fine except for when sitting in traffic at idle for extended periods of time. And even then...

+1

Originally Posted by Super90
Good advice here. Also, be sure the current cooler is clean. Likewise make sure the cylinder cooling fins are clean. Unless someone has done that recently, I'm betting they are not. After you are sure of that, monitor and then see if you need additional cooling capacity. Most likely not needed once all is back close to "as designed".

Keep us posted!
Good advice, I recently had mine cleaned too.
They were clogged and looked horrible!
Old 06-07-2017, 04:50 PM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

several DIY instructions out there. I did a own kit with a heavy duty cooler and some dash hoses and fittings for small amount of money. I replace the ac condenser (AC removed) and works very well.. also at hot track-days...
Old 06-07-2017, 05:49 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

the stock cooler works fine in 100 degree temps for street use. IF YOUR FAN IS WORKING! My fan trigger was nearly 270F and just too hot. Fixed that with the resistor mod, and wired in a manual switch.

The extra oil cooler is there for track days. The stock system struggles after 20-30 mins.

Oh, and the AC works fine.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:47 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Congrats on getting back into a 964.
Didn't you once own a Signal Green 3.6T? What a car, can only imagine what that car is worth now.
Yep sure did and when I sold it at sub 100K I thought that all the money in the world for that car. Hindsight....
Old 06-08-2017, 03:54 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the replies. I was sitting in traffic for a while and the oil light flickered on and then went off when I started to accelerate again. Since then I heard that this is normal in hot conditions. It was very hot at least 100 degrees and I was sitting for 5 minutes every now and then for 30 minutes. Usually I don't drive the car in traffic like that but can't remember ever that happening in the turbos I used to have.

Last edited by SA Mike; 06-08-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:19 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Fixed that with the resistor mod, and wired in a manual switch.
This for street driving
Old 06-13-2017, 02:21 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chsu74
This for street driving
This mod is for street driving. Fan triggers lower temps to auto cycle. Keeps oil at or below 9 o'clock in the gauge.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:07 AM
Rstrada
Former Vendor

Received 90 Likes on 37 Posts

So I finally got back into a 964. Out of all the different 911 that I have owned this model is by far my favorite. This will be my first non turbo 964 (92 Carrera 2). I am looking to upgrade the oil cooler as summer is now upon us here in Texas. It is hot! Please give any suggestions that you might have.

Mike
Mike,

We add an additional cooler in the middle only for complete project build/restoration project since the front tub needs to be modified a bit for correct airflow. also the spare tire will no longer fit in the space after. We think for additional cooling that's the best option. just a bit labor intensive.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:09 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Make sure the cooler is free from debris, make sure your oil thermostat is working properly, make sure the bumper sealing wedges are intact to force air through the cooler rather than around it, and do the resistor mod so that the fan keeps the car at or under 9 o'clock when idling in traffic.

SA Mike: To date, what is the hottest temp you've observed and under what conditions?

Quick Reply: Best Oil Cooler upgrade