Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Oil Cooler upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 09:13 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

In my case after 15 mins hard track driving in 85 degree weather I was at 10 o clock and the fan still wasn't coming on. Now it ticks on at 9 o'clock on the gauge with the resistor mod. That fan moves a lot of air.

Nontrack use I've never seen about 9 o'clock. I can get it there just idling in 80 degree weather for a while
Old 06-15-2017, 01:54 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

At speed, the oil cooler should be getting a bunch of air even without the fan. Some folks don't even run a fan on dedicated track cars.

Make sure your bumper seals are intact. If they've turned to dust and disappeared, then all of the air coming into the bumper is likely going around the cooler instead of through the cooler, resulting in a big loss of oil cooler effectiveness.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...l#post10147723
Old 06-15-2017, 04:08 AM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

I would do it right and install a new OEM cooler and a secondary as add-on. I have done this fix and have never had any issues with oil-temperature with my slightly tweaked engine.
No matter if it`s a hot trackday or a flat-out BAB trip with a sudden stop in a traffic jam (this use-case is even harder than track-days). Temperature is still under 9:00.

At my convertible, i have done the temperatur hack with a resistor. I created an adaptor with two EV1 plugs and just pluged this between temperature sensor and harness and this works also quite good, but this cars is not driven like the blue one :-)

Best regards
Old 06-15-2017, 01:07 PM
tdiquattro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with the clean engine fins and clean/sealed cooler and pipes, resitor mod, works fine even on track.
Another thing to check is to seal under the cooler where it rests on the metal support plate. Just make sure the air is not going round it. Dont honestly believe a second one is required.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:28 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

All my parts are there fins clean etc. Do keep in mind this is use dependant. We often track in 100f+ temperatures as our tracks are most in the deserts or inland valleys.

But for a street driven only car I think getting the fan to trigger sooner should be all you need.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:09 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

I've got all of Vandit's list and the temp gauge never goes above 8 o'clock. Dual-driving autocross, 75sec at a time between 4000-6600rpm, 12x in a row with 5min rest intervals, on 90F days is the most I put it through. And still never hits 9 o'clock.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:20 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rstrada
Mike,

We add an additional cooler in the middle only for complete project build/restoration project since the front tub needs to be modified a bit for correct airflow. also the spare tire will no longer fit in the space after. We think for additional cooling that's the best option. just a bit labor intensive.
Thanks will consider it.

Originally Posted by Vandit
Make sure the cooler is free from debris, make sure your oil thermostat is working properly, make sure the bumper sealing wedges are intact to force air through the cooler rather than around it, and do the resistor mod so that the fan keeps the car at or under 9 o'clock when idling in traffic.

SA Mike: To date, what is the hottest temp you've observed and under what conditions?
The temp outside was about 98-100 and I was at a standstill for about 2-5 sometimes The stick was just above the 9 o'clock mark. The resistor mod is what I'll probably end up doing. I normally don't drive car in traffic like that.

Last edited by SA Mike; 06-15-2017 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:45 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I remember that feeling while sitting in Texas commute traffic during the summer. The fan is designed to kick on as the car approaches 10 o'clock. It's too high in my opinion, always made me nervous in traffic. The resistor mod keeps the car at or below 9 o'clock.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:50 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 1 Post

While the fan is important, so are the cooling fins of your existing oil cooler. Cleaning the oil cooler made a night-and-day difference for me: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...il-cooler.html

Good luck!
Old 06-17-2017, 03:23 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RSAErick
While the fan is important, so are the cooling fins of your existing oil cooler. Cleaning the oil cooler made a night-and-day difference for me: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...il-cooler.html

Good luck!
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Best Oil Cooler upgrade