Sponsored by:

Function First - My 1990 964 C2

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 01:23 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

very cool story. Subscribed.
Looking fwd to hear & see the progression over time.
Well done on this purchase.

and uh yea,... I'm partial too,...red cars rule ( .. screw the po po, they're gonna see or hear me anyway!! Lol. & since I was a kid I've always been in love with the color red .... ).
=Steve
The following users liked this post:
NoSub Dan (05-12-2020)
Old 05-15-2017, 03:37 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Looks like a nice coupe, I would keep it stock.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:42 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Ok, I've owned it for two days now and already have a couple of updates.

So when I first looked at it and first drove it, it had two keys. By the time I got back to look at it again and drive it again it still had two keys but only one worked. So that was part of the deal, they had to get me a second key. Well they did technically get me a second key. A key blank. Not their fault as by this time I was in a hurry and it was either pick up the car saturday or wait another two weeks.

Anyway, your major Home Depot and Lowe's type stores can't cut a Porsche key. You need to go to a lock smith or in my case the local Tru-Value hardware store that I have been going to for 20+ years. They cut the blank for me no problem and no charge.

I feel so much better having two keys now.

I also started a FUNCTIONAL upgrade of the stereo that I will share once I get it back and can take before and after photos.

Couple of small things but still fun.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:44 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pcarfan944
Looks like a nice coupe, I would keep it stock.
Wise and good advise. Would have been nice to find a beater and then just do what I want with it. But you are correct, this is a very nice starting point to have just a nice clean stocker.

Or.... almost stocker. Maybe a few mild mods with all the stock parts still in a box and ready to go.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:52 PM
ronone10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the club. Nice Car. Enjoy the Tip!
Old 05-19-2017, 11:44 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

My wife has yet to even ride in the car. However, she sees it constantly as she goes into the garage to do laundry or from the kitchen as there is a window in the door between the kitchen and garage.

Last night she put her foot down, "Under no circumstances are you to sell that car."

Apparently she REALLY likes the red.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:51 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

but does she like the smell of the interior?? That is the true test.

Ask her to stick her head in through the door window, or sit in the car,.. and take a BIG WHIFF.

That will give you a good indication if her love for the car is really growing. ;-)

... to most of us, it is an aphrodisiac ... haha!!
=Steve

P.S. This is SO FUNNY to me,.... case&point - when I finish taking a drive, and pull it back into the garage, I MAKE SURE to shut my windows so I can trap that early 90's leather smell & not let it float out the window. That way the NEXT time I jump in the car,... it's strong!! hahaha!!!
Old 05-19-2017, 03:16 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Haven't asked her about the smell but yes, that is one of my favorite things about the car as well. I do the same and get frustrated when a passenger rolls a window down while driving.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:31 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Default And Now the Problems Start

So as will EVERY used car I have ever bought, no matter how thorough the PPI, once I get it home the problems start.

Sure enough while running errands the driver side door lock continued to work but started spinning in the handle.

So I used this link: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...fun-stuff.html

I pulled by door panels and the lock and cleaned everything up and used locktite to hopefully not have the problem again.

I haven't put the door panel on again as I want to replace the moister barrier.

In these photos you can see the loose screw and the tape I used on my door to keep from scratching it.
Attached Images    
Old 05-21-2017, 10:52 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
So as will EVERY used car I have ever bought, no matter how thorough the PPI, once I get it home the problems start.

Sure enough while running errands the driver side door lock continued to work but started spinning in the handle.

So I used this link: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...fun-stuff.html

I pulled by door panels and the lock and cleaned everything up and used locktite to hopefully not have the problem again.

I haven't put the door panel on again as I want to replace the moister barrier.

In these photos you can see the loose screw and the tape I used on my door to keep from scratching it.
Once you get that sorted, install the T-Lock. Save the key & key lock.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:49 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

From experience, replace the moisture barrier with the Porsche part. It can be removed many times and still stick. The cheap ones are one use. You pay your money and take your chances.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:26 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Yes to both. T-Lock will be installed and I ordered the Porsche barrier. It's like and inch thick. lol.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:17 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

So my car came with a Becker CDR220 head unit. I believe this was a factory unit in the 1999 or 2000 + Boxsters. It's a good radio with a ton of features, I had one in my 01 C4, yet it still works well with the classic 964 interior. But, in those 1999 + cars the radio is mounted low in the center console. In the 964 it is mounted much higher. As a result, it is pretty much impossible to see the display while you are driving. The LEDs are designed for a higher viewing angle.

Anyway, I found a fellow RL member jcorenman who knows all about these radios and the display issues. I sent him my radio and for a very reasonable fee he modified it so that the display can be read from a lower angle. I went ahead and paid a couple of bucks more so that I can fine tune the angle via a small screw in the back of the faceplate. Mr. Corenman has done a few of these though so when I got it back it was pretty must set to the perfect angle.

Anyway, here are before and after photos of the radio. The before shot looks like the radio is actually off but it was not.
Attached Images   
Old 05-26-2017, 01:03 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received and installed a solid state DME from F9T. Car started fine before. Starts fine now. I'll use the old one as a spare just in case but doubt I'll ever need it now.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:37 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Figured while I was waiting for my door parts to arrive I would do some other maint and clean the ICV.

So pulled it off and sprayed with carb cleaner. Let it dry. Re-installed. Car won't start without throttle and will not idle.

Seems I broke it. So I ordered a new ICV. Looks like this one was the original anyway and probably due for replacement.

Quick Reply: Function First - My 1990 964 C2