Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 03:35 PM
citychap26
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear spoiler stuck up.

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been covered before.

So wanted to take the 964 out for a spin the other day, I had actually put a new battery in the car. However when I tried to start it the engine was just turning over and not firing.... I filled it up with a gallon of fuel, it worked fine.

However I noticed that the rear spoiler was up. Now I thought perhaps it was something to do with car having lack of petrol.??

I've checked the fuse number 37 and it's fine, the spoiler will not go down manually either.

What do you guys think??

Cheers

Sunil
Old 05-07-2017, 04:13 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

The spoiler not going down wouldn't have anything to do with lack of fuel. It could be jammed you could unplug the spoiler drive motor and put 12 bolts to the plug positive on one side negative on the other for one direction and switch them for the other that will show you if the mechanism is ok
Old 05-07-2017, 05:12 PM
citychap26
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnK964
The spoiler not going down wouldn't have anything to do with lack of fuel. It could be jammed you could unplug the spoiler drive motor and put 12 bolts to the plug positive on one side negative on the other for one direction and switch them for the other that will show you if the mechanism is ok
Thanks for the reply John, is there a dummies guide?

Cheers

Sunil
Old 05-07-2017, 05:57 PM
ffc
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You can lower the spoiler by hand if you can't lower it electronically by disconnecting the drive cable from the motor and winding it down.

Have a look at the switches that detect maximum up and down for the spoiler. These sometimes need cleaning and adjusting. They can be found under the plastic cover over the gear mechanism.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:36 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

Was your spoiler down when you last drove the car or had you left it up? If the limit switches are having issues the controller would not know when to stop it on the way up or down and it could be jammed up. The controller also could be having issues has your spoiler always worked? There is a lot of info on this site and the internet do some google searches and you should be able to find the info. What year is your car? 89 and 90 cars have 2 different controllers or relays 91 and up have one. On the 91 an up cars they are above where your feet would be on the passenger side small grey box about the size of a pack of cigs the earlier car they are under the passenger seat
Old 05-07-2017, 08:18 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Generally if the spoiler controller is having issues, the spoiler will still go up and down with the manual switch. So if your fuse/relay is OK, then your issue is likely in the mechanism itself.

Quick Reply: Rear spoiler stuck up.