Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phase one build questions - How’s my recipe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 07:13 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Phase one build questions - How’s my recipe?

As a new 964 owner I’m just getting started building the car up. At this point the car is completely stock except for the PSS10’s. On the upgrade list is to go from 205 in the front to 225 keeping 255 in the rear (17” cup ones though I have been lusting for a set of silver e88’s...) That said I will eventually be getting a set of track wheels and Yoko A050’s and hope to get to the track once a month. For general use use I’ll stick with the 17’s and AD08R’s Car has just over 100,000kms on the clock. My goal is to strike that very subjective balance between sport machine and being able enjoy a day long cruise without feeling beat- leaning towards the sport machine side a bit- it is after all a 964!

Heres what ive already completed:

964 sport seats installed with only 30,000kms of use excellent condition.
New coils/ cap and rotors,
Wevo engine mounts-blue to be switched out to black
​​​​​​​Ruf strut bar
Conti radio from Tore
New mixer servos again from Tore
​​​​​​​Focus 9 Dme relay (pump prime)
Pad keeper
Cat removal- keeping the mufflers for now.

Here’s my current suspension list to be done this winter:

Elephant tie rods to see how that helps with the bump steer correction.
Tarret rear spring plates (I like the adjustability.)
Alignment/ride height adjustment
​​​​​​​Stiffer steering rack bushings
Sway bars front and rear.

​​​​​​​Considering the upgrade to harder rubber bushings but for now I think I’ll keep the stock bushings If they prove to be in excellent condition. I do not have access to scales so I will not be corner balancing yet- sticking with stock drop links. Also would love a wider light pattern for the headlights for those curves at night.

Also on the list are some feel good mods-

Rs shifter, G-rod and
Wong chip
new slotted rotors and sport pads all around.
​​​​​​​Oh- and my daughters name is Momo so obviously I need a steering wheel with her namesake. Holding out for a 380mm Monte Carlo if one ever pops up.

Questions:

First off is there any other low hanging fruit in terms of the suspension? Mostly looking to improve feedback while maintaining some amount of comfort as the car does see highway travel as well.

Secondly though I have not measured it PET shows my rear stock sway bar to be 18mm- same as the RS but without adjustment holes. Are those additional 4 holes worth $300? I’m seriously tempted to weld tabs with 2 additional holes onto the existing bar.

3rd: The one item I’d really like to add to this list is a LSD and Medium weight flywheel- if there is such a thing. Might do those instead of the E88’s but I’m scared of the slippery slope......

4th- should I go straight to Motec or stick with the Wong chip for now? Reasons being that future mods may make the chip obsolete- so recommends my mechanic but he has no experience with Wong chips.....

Sound like a good phase one list? Any additions or subtractions?

Pete

​​​​​​​

Old 12-22-2017, 03:16 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Steve Weiner at Rennsport offers a mid-weight flywheel. See http://rennsportsystems.com/3-6-engines/
Old 12-23-2017, 06:53 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts

Thanks- I’ll look into that. Bet I could get the LSD there as well.

Pete

Quick Reply: Phase one build questions - How’s my recipe?