Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.8 RSR - Still in the wrapper....

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 06:16 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 246 Posts
Default 3.8 RSR - Still in the wrapper....

I remember seeing poor pictures of this car, along with it's non-identical twin years ago & was never able to find much information about them. It's incredible that they even exist, but the fact that this one still has the protective coating from the factory is astonishing to me... Always wondered if the Qatari Sheikh that ordered the brace of 959's in unique color combinations through Porsche Exclusive was the owner...

Anyone have any information?

http://www.rmsothebys.com/lots/lot.c...E17&CarID=r134

Here's the twin at last year's Quail event - sans cosmoline

Name:  964RSR.jpg
Views: 2073
Size:  419.4 KB
Old 04-26-2017, 09:34 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I remember them being for sale with one of the Las Vegas museum/used car sellers a few years back.

More info here on the silver one :

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/news/a33317/porsche-964-911-rsr-for-sale/

Old 04-27-2017, 08:53 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

^^^ Amazing time capsule. The interior is not to my taste but I'm sure someone will add that to their collection.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:43 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

So this collector ordered 3 1992 turbo S Lightweights one in white, black and silver with the same garish interior wheel and caliper colors. Apparently he ordered two or is it three 3.8RSR's in these same color combos?

I am not sure what to say. Bad taste but smart move. So are there three RSR's with full interiors?

I have all the factory order documentation for the RS/RSR. A friend of mine imported a couple for customers and gave me all the documentation. Another purchased the last white RSR tub from the factory.

These cars appear to be spec'd more as RS's with RSR upgrades than RSR's. I have a copy of a letter signed by Jergen Barth stating that only 45 RSR's were built and 55 RS's. They are claiming 51 produced. Does anyone know the actual number?

I am also confused about the cosmoline. Did they spray the exterior of the cars I was always under the impression it was only applied to specific parts of the underside.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:01 PM
RADONCulous
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 67 Posts

http://jalopnik.com/you-can-buy-this...1-c-1794702094

I was about to post this...someone is getting an incredible time capsule car there. I actually love the garishness of the bright red interior for that particular car.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:12 AM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've worked at dealerships in the 90's, including Porsche, VW, Audi, BMW and Jaguar. Never saw a new car with cosmoline, or any other spray on "coating", applied to the exterior.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:11 PM
Madturk
Three Wheelin'

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Sick
Old 04-29-2017, 04:44 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Nurburger
Always wondered if the Qatari Sheikh that ordered the brace of 959's in unique color combinations through Porsche Exclusive was the owner...
Nope, different person.

AFAIK the Sheikh still has the seven 959s (he also has a Turbo S Leichtbau). The Sheikh's cars can all be identified by the stripes and crests. More info here.

Originally Posted by cobalt
So this collector ordered 3 1992 turbo S Lightweights one in white, black and silver with the same garish interior wheel and caliper colors. Apparently he ordered two or is it three 3.8RSR's in these same color combos?
Two 3.8 RSRs. They are, supposedly, the only two RSRs with a fully upholstered street interior.

I think there are four Turbo S Leichtbauten (plural). Two are RHD, and probably two in LHD.

All the cars have a purple wheels, gold calipers, red interior, and either silver or white exterior.

On Youtube there is some very rare footage of the two RHD Leichtbauten sitting at Porsche Cars UK. Sounds like they'd been sitting on the lot for two years and still hadn't been picked up!

I am also confused about the cosmoline. Did they spray the exterior of the cars I was always under the impression it was only applied to specific parts of the underside.
Originally Posted by Dan V
I've worked at dealerships in the 90's, including Porsche, VW, Audi, BMW and Jaguar. Never saw a new car with cosmoline, or any other spray on "coating", applied to the exterior.
I don't see any cosmoline. It is just a lot of dust and dirt. Cosmoline may be on the underside of the car. But considering all these cars were most assuredly air-freighted to their destination, such cosmoline would have been specially requested by the owner.

The only confusing thing is the two black marks fore and aft of the right rear wheel: because they are clearly some sort of grease or oil. Likely from exhaust pipes of an adjacent car in warehouse (or wherever).

There are a few people on the 964 Turbo forum that know a handful about these cars and even saw them in person (years ago inside).

These cars appear to be spec'd more as RS's with RSR upgrades than RSR's.
I don't know much about the RS and RSR. But I would say RSR given the presence of fuel cell, centerlock Speedlines, cutoff switch inside/outside, valve to pressurize airjack system, fire suppression with switch inside/outside.

The only thing that might arouse suspicion is if the RSRs came fully seam-welded. There are clearly spot welds in the roof interior. That said, I would imagine seam-welded cars get spot-welded first anyway, then seam-welded afterwards.

It is akin to going to Porsche Motorsports today and ordering a GT3 R, but with a full interior.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 04-29-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:33 PM
jimmyriviera
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These cars appear to be spec'd more as RS's with RSR upgrades than RSR's.
Why do you say that cobalt? Interested to hear what's given you that impression.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:59 PM
salty87
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

yes, please

Old 05-01-2017, 02:23 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

....the car is just "dirty", not cosmoline.
It looks like any car that has sat for a long time where dust settles on the car, then it gets humid/damp and drys and the process repeats itself and then over time it looks like a "coating".
Old 05-01-2017, 03:48 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts

It's interesting to note the differing in facts (cobalt). From the pictures, I can seen no evidence of a bolt in cage. Yes, there is carpeting. But the appearance of a bolt head that's up to snuff (sheer size) isn't poking about in any of the photos. Cosmoline on a clear finish I've heard of not. It's not the hardest stuff to get off, but certainly isn't the easiest without hazing......

The color is wild for sure. I dig it. Red and Silver are best friends.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:05 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FrenchToast

Two 3.8 RSRs. They are, supposedly, the only two RSRs with a fully upholstered street interior.

I think there are four Turbo S Leichtbauten (plural). Two are RHD, and probably two in LHD.

All the cars have a purple wheels, gold calipers, red interior, and either silver or white exterior.

On Youtube there is some very rare footage of the two RHD Leichtbauten sitting at Porsche Cars UK. Sounds like they'd been sitting on the lot for two years and still hadn't been picked up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GT6nMIDXFM

I know that there were two left hand drive 92 turbo S's ordered by the same collector one in Silver and I meant to say the other in midnight blue instead of black with these interiors, brake calipers and speedlines. A third one was in white and I never paid attention but it would appear to have been in Right hand drive.

I am posting pictures I had back about 8 years ago or so when they were in the original owners warehouse full of goodies. You can clearly see the silver car is RHD and I will try to post pics of the midnight blue one later that show the same. I don't believe there were more than the three but who knows. the other pictures are when they were for sale. I guess he sold too early.

I was guessing that a third RSR might have been ordered since he ordered three turbo S's two in the same combinations as the RSR's. I was assuming he did the same for the RSR. Wo knows a third might show up?

I don't see any cosmoline. It is just a lot of dust and dirt. Cosmoline may be on the underside of the car. But considering all these cars were most assuredly air-freighted to their destination, such cosmoline would have been specially requested by the owner.

The only confusing thing is the two black marks fore and aft of the right rear wheel: because they are clearly some sort of grease or oil. Likely from exhaust pipes of an adjacent car in warehouse (or wherever).

There are a few people on the 964 Turbo forum that know a handful about these cars and even saw them in person (years ago inside).
I was questioning the cosmoline because it makes no sense yet if they are trying to sell these cars I would think they would try to be precise. I have seen a number of RS's and RSR's up close and never did I see cosmoline on the underside on the paint would make no sense but figured someone might now.

The black marks are a concern. As you can see by the pictures the turboS's were stored in a decent environment. these look like they were left in a warehouse and forgotten for all these years which doesn't seem like the owners approach.

I don't know much about the RS and RSR. But I would say RSR given the presence of fuel cell, centerlock Speedlines, cutoff switch inside/outside, valve to pressurize airjack system, fire suppression with switch inside/outside.

The only thing that might arouse suspicion is if the RSRs came fully seam-welded. There are clearly spot welds in the roof interior. That said, I would imagine seam-welded cars get spot-welded first anyway, then seam-welded afterwards.

It is akin to going to Porsche Motorsports today and ordering a GT3 R, but with a full interior.
A late friend of mine purchased the last white tub RSR from the factory and raced it for years. I could have purchased the car in pieces a few years back for $200k. They were seam welded first but all the RS, RSR's both 3.6 and 3.8 were seam welded.

I don't think Porsche would sell you a GT3R today with full interior no matter how much you were willing to pay. I know a lot of people who have purchased RSR's and other like cars recently and they were lucky to get them never mind have an operating system someone didn't need to come out an down load before each use. Back then was another story as we know by Bob Linton's One off America GS and last 930 turbo with more options than any other Porsche produced.

Originally Posted by jimmyriviera
Why do you say that cobalt? Interested to hear what's given you that impression.
I say this because I have original factory paperwork on these cars including the option codes and original order forms in one of my many boxes of literature I have collected over the years. A friend of mine helped import a couple of them to the US including a Black RSR and a speed yellow RS that I believe was used on a Pirelli poster.

The order forms show all possible options and part of the RSR was the "Reduced interior equipment" You could spec out an RS with full RSR options such as center locking wheels, air jacks additional brake cooling, fuel cells and more. It clearly reads that the RSR cannot be used for street use, the RS "may" (not in US) be used for street use even fully optioned. The RSR came with a single drivers seat and fire suppression system and all the racing options. The RS could be spec'd out in several ways.

It would seem to be easier to option an RS with full interior and all the RSR options than the other way around.

When I have the time I will try to pull the paperwork and see what else I can learn. IIRC the order form did not include options for color either and we know that is not the case. The only colors offered were Indish red, Grand Prix white, Maritime blue, Speed yellow and black.

We know there was at least one Cobalt blue RS and an Amethyst red one produced. So back then anything was possible but we can only speculate on these nuances.

here are pictures of some of the cars

Originally Posted by Earlydays
....the car is just "dirty", not cosmoline.
It looks like any car that has sat for a long time where dust settles on the car, then it gets humid/damp and drys and the process repeats itself and then over time it looks like a "coating".
that is what concerns me. With the price this will sell for who knows what condition the paint or the car in general is in and if this will clean up.
Attached Images       

Last edited by cobalt; 05-01-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:51 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Picture of the Turbo S in midnight blue and red interior. The blue and white cars seem to have more of a matador red interior vs the lipstick of the silver car and I hate to say it but I like the Turbo S interior better at least it has some black contrasting pieces.

pulled the photo from Ilko's post years ago.
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2017, 10:46 PM
jimmyriviera
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say this because I have original factory paperwork on these cars including the option codes and original order forms in one of my many boxes of literature I have collected over the years. A friend of mine helped import a couple of them to the US including a Black RSR and a speed yellow RS that I believe was used on a Pirelli poster.

The order forms show all possible options and part of the RSR was the "Reduced interior equipment" You could spec out an RS with full RSR options such as center locking wheels, air jacks additional brake cooling, fuel cells and more. It clearly reads that the RSR cannot be used for street use, the RS "may" (not in US) be used for street use even fully optioned. The RSR came with a single drivers seat and fire suppression system and all the racing options. The RS could be spec'd out in several ways.

It would seem to be easier to option an RS with full interior and all the RSR options than the other way around.

When I have the time I will try to pull the paperwork and see what else I can learn. IIRC the order form did not include options for color either and we know that is not the case. The only colors offered were Indish red, Grand Prix white, Maritime blue, Speed yellow and black.

We know there was at least one Cobalt blue RS and an Amethyst red one produced. So back then anything was possible but we can only speculate on these nuances.

All interesting stuff.

This silver car has the RSR cage in it, the fire extinguisher pull on the inside mounted in the ash try hole, it looks like it has the line lock hydraulic brake, it has the RSR non-repeater front fenders. It doesn't have the fuel reserve button on the centre console.

I'm not saying you are not right at all, it is amazing the accommodations that the factory would make to please their customers...... cool car and always great to see these kind of myths rise to the surface.

Cobalt blue 3.8 RS owned by a distant acquaintance back in the day.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: 3.8 RSR - Still in the wrapper....