Sponsored by:

New "Texan" owner of a 150k+ miles 964

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 03:15 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by dlpalumbo
Make sure the penzoil has at least 1200 ppm zinc. Damage can quickly result from low zinc levels.

Tank will accumulate water from condensation and produce gunk around plug. I change oil every Spring to get rid of water.

Do you have a way to read codes? If not there are a few options from relatively cheap public domain software (requires cable), to more expensive and comprehensive Durametrics program and hammer clone PDT999.

Dan
Dan, thanks for chiming in.
I have a center warning light issue, not a check engine light. The durametric reads fault codes but I believe those would be represented by the check engine light?

http://www.durametric.com/porsche964faultcodes.aspx

From what I understand the center warning light only works in conjunction with specific lights (such as low fuel, brake pads etc) and or without the buzzer noise.
That's why I want to replace the instrument panel light bulbs as I do not any of them but I do have a center warning light.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:57 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Porsche 964 1 : Cadrega 0

tried to flush the transmission yesterday and thankfully read on here to check if the fill plug would open prior to draining.

it did not rotate one mm.

Turned the the car on and went for a drive with the 2 old cars...you know just keep the moisture out...

Old 11-27-2017, 06:39 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

What a treat to go back and forth between the two. Back and forth, back and forth...
Old 12-04-2017, 09:30 AM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

What happened this weekend? Ah yes - I took out all instruments to replace lights only to find out that the new bulbs were all destroyed during shipping...

And I also installed a secondary cup pipe but I find the car still too quiet. The pripary is going on this week

ah yes, also this happened!

https://rennlist.com/articles/a-pors...for-the-brand/
Old 12-11-2017, 11:14 AM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

I went for a drive this weekend, spirited I would say...

the car is fully original with rusty springs and unknown alignment: I had a blast! My only complaint is the tall gearing but the new gearbox will fix that. It really has personality!

Saturday I installed the secondary muffler delete but it did not sound as loud as I thought.

I also replaced the Pennzoil mineral with the Mobil1 synthetic 15w50. Car seemed quieter on the drive train, I wish I could compare temperatures but we are having a cold wave here in Texas at the moment.

i also tested the low speed fan, it works fine so I think I need to remove the front bumper to check on the pads that force air to the oil cooler.

the drive was gorgeous, perfect weather, revved the little one to redline and she did just fine. I was even surprised how easily it got to 150mph given the mileage of the engine (we went to Mexico...). I was told it smokes a bit on downshifting, which I am not surprised of.

i will install also the primary cup delete this week, I just need to find exhaust straps as the originals are just too big (any lead on where to get them?).
of course I started the car without exhaust: so gnarly!!!
Old 12-11-2017, 02:57 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

"i will install also the primary cup delete this week, I just need to find exhaust straps as the originals are just too big (any lead on where to get them?"

I took some original exhaust straps from an earlier car and we cut them down and welded to fit. I have stainless fasteners on now, but also have some yellow zinc plated ones too. Looks much more factory....plus legit Porsche part numbers still on them 901-111-157-04 !!

Old 12-11-2017, 03:05 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

That looks really nice!
Almost too nice I will be completely changing the exhaust setup so this primary delete will be temporary.

I think it would be enough for now to go get some stainless zip ties (although it's bitch to cut them up once I want to replace them. !!)
Old 12-13-2017, 01:20 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

I am evaluating several options for the parts list to ask Santa!

Interior:
- Seems that Momo mod 07 is the way to go?
- Seats: I am looking at several options, either Recaro Pole Position (proven combo) or something more custom like the STATUS seats.

Suspensions:
- I have the Koni setup but I am looking for something more "aggressive". The Bilstein PSS are again a proven combo but I am also exploring options with Ohlins.
- Camber plates are still a question mark - I really like the Ground Control ones ( https://groundcontrolstore.com/colle...-spring-option )
- Front poly bushings will go on once I decide on the suspension setup. Will leave the rears alone for now. ( https://powerflexusa.com/9641989-1994.aspx )
- Bump Steer kit ( http://www.rennline.com/Front-Tie-Ro...S-111-993.008/ )
- Sway Bars - Eibach got me covered front and rear http://eibach.com/us/c-306-product-r...rrera-964.html
Old 12-18-2017, 10:36 AM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by The Italian Pursuit
I am evaluating several options for the parts list to ask Santa!

Suspensions:
- I have the Koni setup but I am looking for something more "aggressive". The Bilstein PSS are again a proven combo but I am also exploring options with Ohlins.
I like my KW V3s. You may wan to consider those as well.

- Camber plates are still a question mark - I really like the Ground Control ones ( https://groundcontrolstore.com/colle...-spring-option )
These look they have a lot of adjustment. Does anyone have any experience with these? Anyone using them with KW V3s?

I think you'll need Evo uprights and 993 inner tie rod to use these.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:19 AM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by HalV
I like my KW V3s. You may wan to consider those as well.

These look they have a lot of adjustment. Does anyone have any experience with these? Anyone using them with KW V3s?

I think you'll need Evo uprights and 993 inner tie rod to use these.
I had KW clubsport once on my old S2000 and never fully liked them. I did 3 trackdays to try to dial them in and never succeeded, that's why I am a bit hesitant.

You are correct, I linked the wrong BSK - http://www.tarett.com/items/993-964-...0#ITEM_2892266 + http://www.tarett.com/items/993-964-...9#ITEM_7107120

I edited my post above. I do not want EVO uprights at the moment, I think these 4 little steel parts are already expensive enough...!
Old 12-18-2017, 11:21 AM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

And I am still fighting with the big red exclamation mark sign.

Not sure what it means as there are no other dash lights on (and I have even replaced the light bulbs!)
Old 12-19-2017, 08:22 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts

Or or this BSK- which I like because they are regular ball joints with boots: https://www.elephantracing.com/porsc...-rods-for-964/

Pete
Old 12-19-2017, 09:13 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

And I am still fighting with the big red exclamation mark sign.

Not sure what it means as there are no other dash lights on (and I have even replaced the light bulbs!)
Maybe a long shot but have you checked the handbrake switch?
Old 12-19-2017, 10:59 AM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Marine blue, That's a possibility:I have not driven the 964 in a while and will follow the procedure below to eliminate question marks. Does anyone know if the ! light is on if there are battery charging issues? O2 sensors?
The I light will be on after the car is started,
IF the E brake is pulled ,
release E brake it should go off.
If not then the switch under the E brake handle may need to be adjusted

also the brake light warning will be lit till you step on the brake,
if the I light stays on after this then you need to check the warning lights,

to do that get the owners manual and see what the warning lights are then turn on the key and see if they are all lighting up,
if any of them are out then that system may be suspect as triggering the I light .
Old 03-01-2018, 05:06 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

2018 updates:
The engine I imported from Italy has arrived!

Now I am awaiting for the rebuilt tranny with shorter R&P and LSD to arrive as well, probably in a couple of weeks. Then the LEGO assembly will start.

I still need to purchase
- bump steer correction kit
- a arm bushings
- camber plates
- anything that will brake when the engine is taken apart.

Haven’t driven it in 2 months and I miss her dearly. The 993 tries to make up for it but it is such a different animal than the 964!

Quick Reply: New "Texan" owner of a 150k+ miles 964