Sponsored by:

My Rennline valve cover saga

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 08:53 PM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Rennline valve cover saga

I had previously posted here https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...s-leaking.html and here https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ve-covers.html about my trials with a set of leaking Rennline valve covers. The issue has been resolved. I posted a summary in the latter link, but it seems to have gotten buried. To make sure sure Rennline gets credit for thier above and beyond support, I thought I'd start a new thread to increase visibility. Here's my last post to the latter thread.

A lot has happened. First, I learned I can't tell powder coated from anodized finishes. I have been used to anodized finishes appearing as a thin, dull, film. My original covers (black) had a thicker glossy finish I assumed to be powder coated, especially since they apppeared similar to the red covers on the Rennline site that are said to be powder coated.
Rennline Rennline
reps have assured me that the original black covers were anodized. The new covers (supplied by Rennline) are also black and anodized and appeared (as far as I could tell) to be identical to originals. All underside surfaces of original covers were black. Don't know about new covers as I never had the chance to inspect them.

My tech said the rocker arms were not leaking. RS seals were not installed. New covers went on with supplied Victor Renz gaskets. These are what I used when I tried hylomar sealant. Several hose couplings were leaking. These were replaced.

Results: Car idled long time in shop on lift. One remaining leak is thought to be a return tube. I drove home 45 mIles in 85 degree rush hour traffic and parked car over clean drip pan. Next morning a few dots of oil. One is known leak. Others are probably isulation bleeding out. I left that day for travel, so this is all I have to report, but wanted to post what I had to make you all know how Rennline supported me in this maddening cavalcade. I have no idea what caused original leak. Maybe Rennline will chime in with what they find during examination of original covers.
​​​​​​
Thanks again to Rennline not only for their support, but for their patience with my ignorance. I'm sorry to have misled the forum and hope this post sets things straight.

Also thanks to all forum members who offered their experience and know-how.

Dan

Last edited by dlpalumbo; 04-24-2017 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-24-2017, 09:56 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Thank you for summarizing the saga and glad to hear you had a happy result.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:49 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to hear positives on support from providers. Thanks guys.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:02 PM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Default Once more into the breach

My car went back to shop to get oil cooler installed and 'last' leak fixed. I had noticed what seemed like larger oil spots on drip pan oil pad over last few weeks.

Confirmed. The valve covers are leaking.

Again.

I asked about installing the RSR seals. They estimate it'll take 7 hrs @ $110 to do job. But, they are adamant that rocker arms are not leaking.

So now we're talking about milling covers.

This should not be this hard.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:10 AM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Default Update

Thanks to intervention by Tom Ritt of Rennline, shop engine builder has now agreed to install RSR seals.

Thank you Tom.

Engine builder said he has never had to use the RSR seals in the past on street cars and couldn't be convinced (by me) that my car needed it. So Tom's intervention saved me from (1) Having to get new covers as the shop was going to mill (and most likely ruin) them , and (2), Having to take car to second shop and start all over again.

The engine builder was acting on his long experience. I understand his reluctance to act counter to this. I am thankful that Tom was able to get him straightened out.

I have always hated oil leaks. The adage, "they all leak", didn't make me feel any better about it. So I sprung for the rebuild and have been nagged by the persistent leaking covers. This has not been fun for me.

Will update when I get car back next week.

Cheers,

Dan
Old 07-21-2017, 11:12 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by dlpalumbo
Thanks to intervention by Tom Ritt of Rennline, shop engine builder has now agreed to install RSR seals.

Thank you Tom.

Engine builder said he has never had to use the RSR seals in the past on street cars and couldn't be convinced (by me) that my car needed it. So Tom's intervention saved me from (1) Having to get new covers as the shop was going to mill (and most likely ruin) them , and (2), Having to take car to second shop and start all over again.

The engine builder was acting on his long experience. I understand his reluctance to act counter to this. I am thankful that Tom was able to get him straightened out.

I have always hated oil leaks. The adage, "they all leak", didn't make me feel any better about it. So I sprung for the rebuild and have been nagged by the persistent leaking covers. This has not been fun for me.

Will update when I get car back next week.

Cheers,

Dan
When I had my engine apart I put RSR seals in just in case seemed like pretty cheap insurance
Old 07-23-2017, 07:41 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Johnny come lately here...

RSR SEALS?

is this something that just works better with rennline covers? Or are there RS seals that work better for all of us?

Can you shed some light and throw out some part numbers for us?

Thanks- I have a valve adjustment in my future, happy to use a better seal.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:06 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
Johnny come lately here...

RSR SEALS?

is this something that just works better with rennline covers? Or are there RS seals that work better for all of us?

Can you shed some light and throw out some part numbers for us?

Thanks- I have a valve adjustment in my future, happy to use a better seal.
They are an oring type of seal but flat that goes around each end of the rockers shafts in a groove at each end of shaft
Old 07-23-2017, 09:31 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Here's my short saga on the rocker shaft seals aka rsr seals

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ker-shaft.html
Old 08-24-2017, 12:48 PM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Default Current status

Got my car back and after 2 long drives the covers are dry. I can't thank Tom Ritt of Rennline enough for convincing the mechanic to install the RSR seals. He had never had to put seals in before and has built a lot of air cooled engines over the years.

He did uppers and lowers and had estimated 7 hours. He said it took a lot longer. I wish he knew about this when engine was out.

Found and fixed a split hose on top and the engine's pretty much dry except for LH timing cover.

This appears to by the 'easy' side so I may tackle this myself. Not sure why its leaking. Mechanic has been grumbling about the covers being magnesium but from what I read they should be fine.

Dan

Quick Reply: My Rennline valve cover saga