Sponsored by:

Trip Report - Doin' the Texas Hill Country Twisty

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 08:06 PM
fasterlaster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Trip Report - Doin' the Texas Hill Country Twisty

It's 2017 and the crew was back again for more. As posted elsewhere in the forums The unofficial loosely organized 964 group was back on the road. This multi-day excursion included a trio of red 964s, along with some other motorsports eye candy. Most of this group are college chums from way back at A&M, but inclusion is the name of the game with car guys.

I myself missed the trip last year, but was certainly not going to miss it this year. The previous weekend was spent on a few needed maintenance on my '89 including swapping out the power steering fluid, and installing those little plastic nuts at various body panels which had either become stripped or lost over the years. I also found I have a CV boot up front which needs some attention, but was unable to get the time or part to replace it prior to the drive. With the 911 all ready and packed up I headed out. Spring weather in Texas is always a crap shoot, but things were looking up for me so far.

Believe it or not, I'm actually excited about this trip....and here is why.

Blue skies and open road!

Our destination? Fredericksburg, TX. Home of a lot of shops and wine, but not what we were there for. Our destination was the Twisted Sisters group of roads. Those following along with the other annual trip may note the same location. It's just that darn good. Some of the best roads in Texas. Here is the bulk of the crew. Three 964, a Mustang Shelby GT-H, and a Corvette Z06. Later in the day the crew was rounded off with two classics Mustangs, and a Honda CR-V. I know what you may be thinking, CR-V? But when parking is limited at the restaurants a multi passenger econo-box is a good car to find. Besides, the Honda wasn't invited on the main event. The evening was spent catching up, discussing tasks that didn't get done before the trip (nobody managed to find time for a good wash/wax for example).

The next morning found three little Porsches nestled in their bed waiting for the day.

At the mandatory drivers meeting all of us made sure to fill the tank with some great breakfast from Andy's.

Our first leg was down the very unpredictable but fun OSR. Plenty of things to look for as we found bumps, jumps, damaged roads, and (dangerous for that Vette) cattle guards.

It wasn't long till we were out on the open interstate for a few miles, naturally obeying all applicable traffic laws

Exiting the interstate is kinda the start of the fun. The sisters are just fantastic, and this year everything was dry and overcast. Our aircooled engines appreciated the cooler temps, while the lack of moisture on the roads increased the thrill just a wee bit. In addition to some spirited driving, there were a few spots to stop and soak up the hills. Here is the full crew and the vehicles that were on the drive.

One soaking a bit more of the surroundings in.

All this driving was making me and the crew hungry. Fortunately only 10 miles away was Leaky, TX home of some great food and excellent pie. The pie alone is worth the drive.

If you end up in Leaky, check out Friends Grill. It's good food, but not necessarily quick. They did warn us.

I guess that last group shot wasn't everyone. This little guy got some cool footage while at the stops.

Here is one of the most 964 on topic photos of the trip. No American iron, only Texas hills and German engineering.

We could only keep those guys out of the shot so long, so we let them join in.

Unfortunately, the '69 started to develop an issue with the throw out bearing and was driven pretty gingerly the remainder of the trip. Hood up shots always work well for a trip report. Here is what the look of 'concern' as the driver identified the bearing issue. You can tell by the turned around hat.

The crew continued back on the roads. I was close to 90k on my 964 when the trip started and was hoping to photo it rolling over. I also got it pretty close to 90mph at 90k miles for the shot. Naturally that was a metric mile and I was certainly not exceeding any posted speed limits.

As part of the slower group we meandered the 2nd half of the trip enjoying the scenery, tfitch even put the top down to soak up those rays.

Riding around checking out Tom's butt I noticed that his spoiler was moving around a lot more than it should. When the group stopped we took a look and found it had lost a mounting screw. Fortunately I happened to have a bolt which worked, and got that spoiler locked down.

As the day winded down, we posed for one more photo before heading home.

The following morning we all rose a bit later than normal, and were slow to get going. Perhaps it was the impending end of this years trip. Our local four legged buddy stopped by to say hi one last time as we headed out our own ways.

And you thought I was kidding about the CR-V...

Hope some of you can join us next year when spring rolls around and the itch to drive becomes strong. Thanks to tfitch03 and vagluv for including me again this year.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:52 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up and pics! Thanks Jason!

Once a year may not be enough anymore. We may need to increase to twice annual for this excursion! Life is short.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:59 AM
tfitch03
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great write up and a great trip! Here are a few more pics.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:06 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Very nice! Good inspiration for the rest of us to organize a group drive also...
Old 04-25-2017, 08:55 PM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Very cool write up!!

Going to be driving my 964 on a 1k mile excursion from NY back to GA soon... these pictures got me excited for the drive again!
Old 04-28-2017, 09:06 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Great write up and pics, looks like a lot of fun.

Quick Reply: Trip Report - Doin' the Texas Hill Country Twisty