2 Oil Filters on my 964?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 06:11 AM
GP964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2 Oil Filters on my 964?

Hey Guys,

Today I had a buddy of mine put up my car on the lift just for kicks and I noticed 1 oil filter (OC54) in the engine bay on the right side next to the a/c compressor, and a 2nd oil filter (OC142) underneath forward of the right rear tire between the engine and tranny area.

Just curious anyone have this setup? and if so, what's the purpose?

Many Thanks

GP
Old 04-16-2017, 07:59 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

The 993 engines have a second oil filter. Do you know if your engine is original?
Old 04-16-2017, 09:01 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

993 engines have the main filter at the thermostat housing under the oil tank, and a secondary filter that serves the hydraulic lifters.

Andreas
Old 04-16-2017, 11:18 AM
CBR786
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

strange seems like maybe the oil tank and thermostat housing along with the oil line pipes to the front oil cooler might have been changed for 993 parts why ? I have no idea maybe availability issues at the time of the fix. if the housing is a 993 thermostat then the oil pipes push into the housing while the 964 oil pipes are a nut fixing. clearly you need to see what engine you have in the rear it might have had a swap out then you might even find a 3rd oil filter depending on how pipe work was routed or what modifications have been made.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:24 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by GP964
Just curious anyone have this setup? and if so, what's the purpose?
Protomotive bolt-on turbo kit with the engine mounted oil filter console from the 964T?
Old 04-16-2017, 01:50 PM
GP964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, Jason it does have a Protomotive Turbo, but why the secondary oil filter?
Old 04-16-2017, 02:55 PM
tdiquattro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

because it is before the engine instead of after like the daft original position.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:07 PM
AVI_8
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're lucky you have the second filter, it should have been fitted to all Porsche engines, surely it's a daft idea that the oil is filtered AFTER it's been through then engine, I can't think of any car which has this standard arrangement.
I believe the 993's had this filter which filters the oil before going to the engine and hydraulic lifters so it seems that Porsche knew of the potential problem that unfiltered oil is going to the engine which would cause problems with hydraulic lifters. The 964 turbo had the same arrangement I believe.
My own car is in my garage waiting to be stripped down due to unfiltered oil blocking the camshaft spray bar causing damage yet fully unknown. I'll be fitting the second filter when I rebuild mine.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:04 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by AVI_8
You're lucky you have the second filter, it should have been fitted to all Porsche engines, surely it's a daft idea that the oil is filtered AFTER it's been through then engine, I can't think of any car which has this standard arrangement.
I believe the 993's had this filter which filters the oil before going to the engine and hydraulic lifters so it seems that Porsche knew of the potential problem that unfiltered oil is going to the engine which would cause problems with hydraulic lifters. The 964 turbo had the same arrangement I believe.
My own car is in my garage waiting to be stripped down due to unfiltered oil blocking the camshaft spray bar causing damage yet fully unknown. I'll be fitting the second filter when I rebuild mine.
A good point. When you see how many ways there are or foreign objects to get in the oil past the filter and that they have to go through small galleries before they are filtered it seems crazy.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:23 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Is the problem of putting a filter between the oil tank and engine the fact that this oil flow is not under pressure. If you put a filter in the line at this point it would restrict oil flow to engine. Not sure of how to resolve filtering oil between tank and engine other than the forward engine filter used on the 993. But this still does not filter tank oil before it gets into the engine. If the oil pump was external with a direct line from tank. But the pump is a pick up in the crank case presenting direct filter issues.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:32 PM
AVI_8
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the oil filter fitted to the 993 and 964 turbo filters the oil before it goes to the oil gallery's. So the engine is protected by filtered oil.
A conventional car engine with a wet sump has unfiltered oil going through the pump which is then sent via the pump through the filter before going to the oil gallery's
The oil has to be filtered via the high pressure supply after the pump.
Fitting an inline filter from the tank is probably not a good idea.

Quick Reply: 2 Oil Filters on my 964?