Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Severe vibration 40-45 mph. Need ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 06:57 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Severe vibration 40-45 mph. Need ideas.

So- driving along, no vibrations , or very limited, until approx 40mph and then severe vibration btw 40-45 mph. Then vibrations lessen as I travel above 45...

This happened with three different sets of wheels and tires. I thought all winter it was my snows, but I just changed to conti dw summer tires and it's as bad or worse on the summers. They are brand new. So still soft.

I thought maybe it was wheel bearings in the rear, so I took out my rear axles today. Wheel bearings are fine (new last summer). One axle has a tiny bit of play in the outer CV, but both were rebuilt by cv of Ocala last summer and they gave me a clean bill of health when they rebuilt them. I thought maybe a bent or out of round rotor, so I switched my rear rotors to my old set of sebro rotors that are like new. I had a function first transmission mount stiffener in, and took that out. Noise and vibration are still present.

Noise and vibration are the same at 45 mph with the brakes depressed. Noise and vibration are the same if the clutch is in and the car is idling at 45 mph. Noise and vibration are the same on varying road surfaces.

Tomorrow I'm taking the front axles out to check them. But I just can't get a handle on what this could be.

I had thought for a moment maybe it's the planetary gear, but that wouldn't be a frequency issue - i.e. My guess would be that if the planetary gear were going I would have vibration and noise through the entire speed range. And not just severe vibration at 45mph.

Anyone have any thoughts or similar experience?
Old 04-15-2017, 07:53 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

My first thoughts were wheel balance or tires but you have eliminated that. Have you tried changing the side loads during the vibration by swerving left/right?
Old 04-16-2017, 12:44 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Front? Rear?
Old 04-16-2017, 10:25 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

C2 or C4?

Look into the differential. Ever change the gear lube? What does the drive shaft look like ( one from trans to diffy).

I tore off all of the teeth due to low lube.
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2017, 10:55 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Front? Rear?

Steve, I think it's the rear, but it's impossible to tell- the entire cabin vibrates.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:59 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Originally Posted by LouZ
C2 or C4?

Look into the differential. Ever change the gear lube? What does the drive shaft look like ( one from trans to diffy).

I tore off all of the teeth due to low lube.
Gear oil is fresh delvac in the diff and the transaxle. If you run through suspension madness, when you get to my car, you see everything in the suspension and most moving parts are new. The axles were all rebuilt, but not new.

Could one outer cv in the rear with a tiny bit of play cause this much vibration? Cv of Ocala had given it the blessing...so I'm not sure.

Front end is getting taken apart today to explore.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:43 PM
Porschenut_Lee
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I expected there to be a little bit more lag time between fix and break in the DBFD cycle.........

Yup, a CV axle with a little play can make pretty good vibration. Did you notice the vibration right after you got the car on the road last year?

Everything else on that car is new or refurbished. I'd start with the CV axle. Do you have a spare handy you can throw in for a test drive?
Old 04-16-2017, 09:54 PM
Porschenut_Lee
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't see anything above, but what happens if you put the drivetrain under load during severe vibration? Slight or heavy acceleration change anything?
Old 04-17-2017, 02:04 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This chap went thru hell eliminating sources, some scary that I would not do, but read his final post? He had warped rotors?

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...-ideas-11.html
Old 04-18-2017, 12:33 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Originally Posted by Porschenut_Lee
I didn't see anything above, but what happens if you put the drivetrain under load during severe vibration? Slight or heavy acceleration change anything?
I've got one spare rear axle- I'm going to send that off for a rebuild and install that in the place of the one I think may be problematic...if you drove past the area, I'll throw you the keys and you can experience it for yourself. I'm pretty sure it's the rear. If it were the front I'd feel it in the steering wheel. I'm pretty sure it's being transmitted to the body through the rear monoballs...so axles make sense. It's not the rear wheel bearings and it shouldn't be the transaxle or the diff cuz I'd feel that in the shift ****. Rotors are like new...and I swapped them for the set that was in the car. And with both sets I have vibration.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:40 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

This is head-scratcher. Sounds like it began just before winter? Any projects at the time?

There aren't many things that rotate outboard of the trans/diff. You said that you suspect the rear, but I'll toss in some front contenders just in case. Fyi- My rear right outer cv has a slight play in it too. Just enough that I could feel when clamping down the axle and twisting the outer joint counter/clockwise by hand when the axle was out. But I don't have any vibrations at speed.

Have you replaced a seal on one of the trans/diff output flanges recently? Maybe you missed torquing a center bolt on one of the flanges afterwards?

Do you run wheel spacers? Maybe one of them is wonky?

Check that your inner tie rods are tight against the locknut? Check for play in the inner tie rod rubber fork connection?

The 993 folks get steering vibrations from worn front control arm bushings. I believe you're using fairly new Elephant RS bushings? Couldn't hurt to check the torque on the control arm bolts. And a visual of the bushings in case you the rubber-steel bond has separated on one.

That's all that I can think of Good luck!
Old 04-18-2017, 01:47 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

GoPro mounted in a few different strategic spots to see if you can capture ?
Seems like an axle issue to me...
Old 04-18-2017, 07:45 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Originally Posted by -nick
This is head-scratcher. Sounds like it began just before winter? Any projects at the time?

There aren't many things that rotate outboard of the trans/diff. You said that you suspect the rear, but I'll toss in some front contenders just in case. Fyi- My rear right outer cv has a slight play in it too. Just enough that I could feel when clamping down the axle and twisting the outer joint counter/clockwise by hand when the axle was out. But I don't have any vibrations at speed.

Have you replaced a seal on one of the trans/diff output flanges recently? Maybe you missed torquing a center bolt on one of the flanges afterwards?

Do you run wheel spacers? Maybe one of them is wonky?

Check that your inner tie rods are tight against the locknut? Check for play in the inner tie rod rubber fork connection?

The 993 folks get steering vibrations from worn front control arm bushings. I believe you're using fairly new Elephant RS bushings? Couldn't hurt to check the torque on the control arm bolts. And a visual of the bushings in case you the rubber-steel bond has separated on one.

That's all that I can think of Good luck!
Nick- i would love to have a talk and verbally knock back and forth the possibilities...it's causing me to scratch my head too...totally frustrating

All torques are good and right. But I do notice a little play in the diff axle flanges up front- though the bolts are torqued. I'm inclined however to think it's not the front- because I don't feel it in the steering wheel. So my head thinks the origin is the back.

Oddly enough - my car was like brand new before this became an issue. And now I want to drive it off a cliff. Terrible timing. I don't have the time at the moment to resole my own shoes....
Old 04-19-2017, 08:26 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

by coincidence, i just read a Excellence piece on 964s and it mentioned "severe vibrations" occuring around 40-45 mph could be caused by bad front control arm bushings.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:50 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Another idea. For the heck of it, lift the e-brake a little and see if that has any effect. It would at least load up the rear wheels in isolation from the front.

Quick Reply: Severe vibration 40-45 mph. Need ideas.