Sponsored by:

Engine out and fun begins ... Let's do this

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 04:52 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine out and fun begins ... Let's do this

Was productive last week and dropped the Engine of my C4. I can only study WSM and PET diagrams for so long, that being 20+ years of ownership. This was the logical next step for me to take a deep dive into my PCar and continue the quest to learn and see first hand how those diabolical Engineers packed so much goodness in such a small space.

Project Scope: Primary - Solve drive drain problem. Believe planetary gear failure 43k miles, Will NOT be removing heads/cam towers unless I see something to change my mind... Will BE doing mini-refresh of all seals/o-rings/gaskets/hoses I can access ... Power Steering seal kit, Engine Carrier reinforcement, Injectors serviced, all on the agenda.... Hope to have engine back in car by early June ...

My workspace is about 8ft x 8ft area right next to my car, very intimate Therefore, I only bought 9ft x 9ft of the snap-in flooring stuff ... I will tidy up and store big pieces on racks in background. So, without further ado, "Hey Look, it's a yellow jacket bumblebee" ...

Won't have to go far for a wrench!

Needed bit of cleanup before opening up.

Tomorrow engine on stand, strip down begins.

Last edited by C4inLA; 05-02-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:47 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Following with interest
Old 04-13-2017, 09:43 AM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very cool, good luck with the project.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:49 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Obligatory photo of the mechanic standing where the engine should be?

My one regret on my top end was that I didn't replace the clutch fork. Mine had some light grooves worn in it from the needle bearing, but the clutch action always seemed fine. After putting it all back together and really paying attention, I can feel the notches transmitted through the pedal along with some creaking.

Be sure to buy the correct optimol lubes (one for plastic and one for metal) too. I think that I listed the part numbers for them in my top end thread and they're reasonably priced through Sonnen. They also come in handy for other projects.

Good luck with the planetary gears, I'll be interested to see what you find too.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:00 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Good luck with the project!
Old 04-13-2017, 04:16 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 04-13-2017, 07:03 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 338 Posts

Good to see you getting stuck into it Matthew. Subscribed.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:39 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Take the valve covers off and inspect the head bolts....if there's one broken, it'll escalate your job scope but at least you'll be able to plan for it.

Note: engine looks clean coming out!
Old 04-13-2017, 10:12 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Thanks all ... I know if I get stuck there are many RL community members willing to offer their experience and I would not be doing this project otherwise. It is just a pleasure to wrench on these cars, especially with ENGINE OUT! I am seeing things for the first time, very exciting. Already filled up my dang shelves

Good progress today;

It was a beautiful thing to see the lift table (with engine on it) fit perfectly inside the stand frame, just raise lift table, line up yolk to stand like I was docking Apollo 13!!! Kabella! Engine on stand, all bits off engine top, heat exchangers off without any fastener issues (Yippie!). I have found no signs of through bolt o-ring leaks or cylinder to case or head to cylinders. While all valve/cam covers still on, carefully rolled engine out for a vacuum and brush/spray bottle wash/rinse. I got good at spinning the engine on the stand.

TC boxes coming off next and access to cam O-rings. Suspect my first noticeable oil leak on the car will be this area, I was never able to find with flash light looking up from under the car.

Right after lifting off shroud, no critters

Rolled out for careful cleaning.

Cleaned enough to start removing covers.

Possible corner of gasket leaked.

Last edited by C4inLA; 04-23-2017 at 02:04 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:25 PM
apanossi
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Excuse the phrase, but it must feel great to "pop your cherry." 😜
Old 04-13-2017, 11:39 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Well, yeah! Been staring at this completely "shrouded" engine for twenty years, today the "shroud" came off!
Old 04-13-2017, 11:50 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by -nick
Obligatory photo of the mechanic standing where the engine should be?

My one regret on my top end was that I didn't replace the clutch fork. Mine had some light grooves worn in it from the needle bearing, but the clutch action always seemed fine. After putting it all back together and really paying attention, I can feel the notches transmitted through the pedal along with some creaking.

Be sure to buy the correct optimol lubes (one for plastic and one for metal) too. I think that I listed the part numbers for them in my top end thread and they're reasonably priced through Sonnen. They also come in handy for other projects.

Good luck with the planetary gears, I'll be interested to see what you find too.
Okay, Pic in engine bay will happen .... probably gonna replace sound pad..

I have ordered all bits, PP, friction disk,TOB, kit for fork shaft, bearings, bushings, but not the actual Fork? I will snap a pic soon, 43k on fork, I may keep it. DMF flywheel and friction disk were changed at 30k miles along with RMS..

Last edited by C4inLA; 04-14-2017 at 02:21 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:04 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Part washer, yeah I got a parts washer, MY two hands and five different nylon, plastic brushes...

Found what I hope is the mystery leak that I was unable to locate from under the car.

Last edited by C4inLA; 04-23-2017 at 02:08 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:22 AM
ffc
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Great thread. Please keep posting.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:31 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Shifted gears and decided to rebuild PS pump and install PS belt while TC covers off.

Last edited by C4inLA; 04-16-2017 at 07:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine out and fun begins ... Let's do this