Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homemade head – cylinder gasket???

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 05:31 AM
MA7008O
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Homemade head – cylinder gasket???

Hi there,

I’m in the process of a top end rebuilt due to a head stud failure.

My car is from 1991 and have not the updated head to cylinder gaskets. No failure sings at this point. 145.000 kms. Running perfectly.

If I’m not mistaken, to do the gasket upgrade, I need cylinders and machine the head. This is not possible at this point (primarily due to budget).

I have two options:

- Mount the engine as it was, with no gasket.
- Custom built a gasket with some resistant material (for example exhaust gasket material).

Please, I need some ideas and opinions on the options or alternative ideas.

Thanks!!!!
Old 04-11-2017, 06:41 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I f you don't have any leaks, why bother? Most of the ones that leaked, were fixed by Porsche.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:21 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

I replaced broken head studs on my MY91 and for similar reasons used exsisting cylinders and heads and have no leaks at the heads. I think Steve Wiener (spelling ? ) At Rennsport modifies exsisting heads to hold a gasket but doesn't modify cylinders that might be a route you could go
Old 04-11-2017, 09:08 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Might consider spending up for ARP studs if your not doing the gaskets.
The following users liked this post:
JP-"S" (10-08-2023)
Old 04-11-2017, 11:23 AM
MA7008O
Racer

Thanks all of you for your kinds inputs.
I’m just thinking on a better way to make sure no leaks appear in the short term.
By Rennsport you mean the workshop at Barcelona (Spain)???
About the stud, I actuality was looking at ESP ones, but will also looks at the ARP. Any differences?
Old 04-11-2017, 11:38 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MA7008O
Thanks all of you for your kinds inputs.
I’m just thinking on a better way to make sure no leaks appear in the short term.
By Rennsport you mean the workshop at Barcelona (Spain)???
About the stud, I actuality was looking at ESP ones, but will also looks at the ARP. Any differences?
I think Rennsport is located in Washington state check out Raceware head studs also that is what I used in my car
Old 04-11-2017, 11:44 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

I'm confused I used Supertec head studs not Raceware
Old 04-11-2017, 12:29 PM
MA7008O
Racer

OK, because there is one in Spain also called Rennsport, but I doubted that that was the one.
Sending head from Spain to USA is probably not worth it.

About the head studs, there is so many opinions over the options that it’s impossible to really find out which s the best option, or at least I am not able to.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:08 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MA7008O
OK, because there is one in Spain also called Rennsport, but I doubted that that was the one.
Sending head from Spain to USA is probably not worth it.

About the head studs, there is so many opinions over the options that it’s impossible to really find out which s the best option, or at least I am not able to.
Didn't realize you were in Spain. A better than factory head stud will help.

These are a commonly used upgrade. I am sure you have a local equivalent.
http://arp-bolts.com/kits/ARPkit-det...?RecordID=1194
Old 04-11-2017, 02:28 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Steve is in portland oregon - rennsportsystems.com but I would imagine if you make sure the mating faces are very well prepared and mated (by an engineer) you can achieve the original P design of max surface mating for heat transfer and no leak .. I went with steve's approach with 993 rings he supplied me to ensure no leak or blowby, and used a thin layer of the wurth/loctite 574 orange hitemp RV gasket sealer.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:02 PM
onevoice
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont worry about it. To hear the Internet talk about it, a car without the head gaskets is a leaking mess, and it just isn't true. Of the many potential places these engines can leak, the head to cylinder surface is waaaaaay down the list.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:04 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onevoice
Dont worry about it. To hear the Internet talk about it, a car without the head gaskets is a leaking mess, and it just isn't true. Of the many potential places these engines can leak, the head to cylinder surface is waaaaaay down the list.
Actually most of these early 3.6's leaked like a sive. It is a matter of time with the early engines. Although You can rebuild the top end without the major expense and rework it to factory spec with some improvement and I have seen some of them last a long time without leaking. It is a chance some take.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:33 PM
onevoice
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobalt
Actually most of these early 3.6's leaked like a sive. It is a matter of time with the early engines. Although You can rebuild the top end without the major expense and rework it to factory spec with some improvement and I have seen some of them last a long time without leaking. It is a chance some take.
I sure would love to see data, because I just don't believe "most" leaked from the head /cylinder interface. There is nothing liquid in the combustion chamber to leak enough to be a big problem. Maybe a little moisture from water and gas on cold starts, which would likely burn off before it even dripped. Small potatoes compared to the countless number of pressurized oil passages that can leak. The question wouldn't keep coming up if most leaked and were fixed years ago. It's not like the head gaskets on the later cars are a liquid proof seal anyway, I have a a set laying on the bench in front of me, they are a metal ring. With perfect fitment, they will seal and be a little insurance, but if the head wasn't flat to start with, I bet they would leak also.

Head gaskets always get the blame for dripping oil on early engines, but dripping OIL is a sure sign it isn't actually the head gasket leaking. Engines get rebuilt, head gaskets get added, along with sealing every other surface, and the leaks stop, so it must have been the head gaskets.

If someone wants to spend the money, I guess it wouldn't hurt, but lots of other places I would prioritize, especially in a situation like the original poster, who indicated the expense was important.
The following users liked this post:
abarthguy (10-17-2023)
Old 04-12-2017, 04:00 PM
Dick964
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

50.000 km ago I have had a broken stud.
Replaced al studs with 993 dilavar studs, no gaskets and now still no leaking cylinder-heads.

As wrote before above here: oil leaks will not come from leaking cylinder to head surface...
Old 04-12-2017, 04:40 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.rennsportsystems.com

Quick Reply: Homemade head – cylinder gasket???