Sponsored by:

Advice Please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 05:15 PM
nickyv
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Please!!!

I'm am just about done with my first DIY. 1990 C-2. Vacuum brakes. Rebuilt all four calipers, replaced all discs and pads, pad sensors. Started the brake bleed process and successfully navigated my way around the car, went fairly well. Now bleeding the clutch. That was going ok but each time I thought I had it bled a bunch of air started rushing through the system. Using the Motive Pressure bleeder dry method. Each time I top off the reservoir and start the process, the level gets just below the ridge on the reservoir and I start to get air. When doing the brakes this would happen if I let it get halfway down the reservoir, figured that out and did ok. But with the clutch I can't seem to get enough pumped through the line before the air enters. Here's a pic of my reservoir from my last effort. I was getting fluid, saw I still had just a small bubble or two so let it flow to be sure, and boom, air. Tried three times. Is it time to go the wet method??? I have read the left side of the reservoir is the clutch side and it goes before the right side as a warning you're getting low. I'm almost home folks, I need some advice. By the way, I'm filling the reservoir all the way up to the top to just before it spills out. The level indicates the car might be tilted toward the front end, but I'm on Esco Jack stands and they are all leveled at the same height. So I can't do much about the slight angle being created. Sorry for the sideways shot, I can't figure out how to rotate it. Wouldn't you think the level would have to go lower before air started coming through?? One other quick question. I've been using Super Dot 4 Pentosin fluid that I have been ordering on line. Does it hurt to switch to a different brand as long as it's Dot 4? Thanks for any advice.
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2017, 05:32 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Or you could stop trying to do it all in one shot. Take a break, open up the resevior, top off again, then repressurize, bleed out a bit more.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:04 PM
nickyv
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll give it a go Vandit. Thanks. Frustration leads to not thinking clearly and a lack of patience.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:41 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Always use the wet method myself, no problems with air bubbles.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:01 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

The clutch is a little different beast too me. I have never had much luck trying to power bleed it. I always get someone to work the pedal. It is important to allow time between pumps for the fluid to come back in. Rapid pumps seem to cause issues and I don't get as strong a pedal compared to a slower pump cycle. I also made a clutch bleed extension so I can bleed the clutch from the rear of engine bay without having to get under car.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:42 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Yes, you can change brands of fluid if needed. I use a pressure bleeder when I do it, with approx 1 quart of fluid in the pressure bleeder itself. The clutch supply line is near the top of the reservoir so if you are not at the top you will get air in the system.

I agree, take a short break and try again.

Quick Reply: Advice Please!!!