Old 02-08-2017, 10:19 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts
Default 964 C4 – Safari RS Version 2.0

I want to see more of these!

Drive Channel
http://www.thedrive.com/flat-six-soc...d-porsche-game

Anything worth being done is worth doing to excess. The recent trend of off-road Porsche 911s has been knocked square on its *** by this recently-finished build from Kelly-Moss. While most of the "Safari"-style cars we've seen thus far have been based on rear-wheel-drive SC and Carrera 3.2 models, this beast is an all-wheel-drive 964 Carrera 4 underneath with some serious hardware to increase its off-road-ability. A set of rally tires on a quartet of Braid rally wheels is just the beginning. Toss on a set of wide fender flares for good measure to go with a seriously widened track width, and four beefy gravel flaps, one at each wheel. Need to see a little better? How about ten forward-facing lights to show the path even in the darkest of moonless nights? The big talking points here, however, have to be the giant metal brush guard bumpers on either end of the car with super bright LED lights, tow hooks, and even a winch integrated. This Porsche is ready for some off-the-beaten-trail exploring.

In a twitter post yesterday, professional racer Mike Hedlund humble-bragged about how great it was going to be to drive this 964, and we agree. We'd love the opportunity to get this clean Martini-liveried monster a little bit dirtier with some off-road shenanigans.
Mike Hedlund Twitter: https://twitter.com/mike_hedlund?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Kelly Moss Racing (links to an image album!!!)
http://www.kellymossmotorsports.com/...s-version-2-0/

Old 02-08-2017, 03:04 PM
emissary
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now that is awesome!
Old 02-08-2017, 06:13 PM
RADONCulous
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 67 Posts

I love these although for whatever reason I think this one is a bit too busy on the front end (tow hooks, lights in the diffuser, and winch...). I'd also love to see other iterations...
Old 02-09-2017, 12:49 AM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice... Looks like you could light up a small town, very nice....
Old 02-09-2017, 03:40 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RADONCulous
I love these although for whatever reason I think this one is a bit too busy on the front end (tow hooks, lights in the diffuser, and winch...). I'd also love to see other iterations...
Agree, but it's all needed for what I plan to use the car for... I didn't build it for show. :-)

-mike
Old 02-09-2017, 04:58 PM
s4magman
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
Agree, but it's all needed for what I plan to use the car for... I didn't build it for show. :-)

-mike
Mike, what is the plan? Great build.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:34 PM
racemor
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 45 Posts

Udo, after all these years us us bugging you about your ride hieight, I guess you were just a little ahead of your time.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:02 AM
roastbeef
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hate the 200lb bumper, but other than that... lets go wheeling!
Old 02-13-2017, 03:18 PM
porsche mania
Pro

Death race 2017! This looks like a lot of fun.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:48 PM
Rey Gunn
Burning Brakes

Been looking and admiring the safari 911s lately. But a 964 safari?!!!! Love it! This takes the cake!
Old 02-15-2017, 11:21 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

more from Flatsixes:
http://flatsixes.com/porsche-culture...safari-rs-2-0/

When the 964 Carrera 4 launched in 1989, it was a revolution. For a short time the nearly-all-new Carrera 4 sold alongside the outgoing Carrera 3.2 and the 930. Where the older cars clung to tradition, the 964 Carrera 4 pushed bravely into the future; a future Kelly Moss Road & Race (KMR) is helping to realize. Torsion bars gave way to Macpherson struts and coilovers. The body was more aerodynamic. Most importantly, the classic rear engine, rear drive layout gave way to a radical four-wheel drive system; a first on a production 911.

The Carrera 4 was fast, capable, and unflinchingly stable. The four-wheel drive system is coupled to a stability control system known as PDAS, which was derived from systems developed for the 959. Many of the ingredients which made the stock 964 so good made it more difficult than past 911s to modify. This did not deter KMR. KMR's latest creation is known as the "Safari 2.0." Radically flared, lifted, and beefed up, this go-anywhere 911 looks ready to conquer the world.

Compared to this steroidal beast, Leh Keen's Safari 911s almost seem simple. The list of modifications on the KMR car is extensive. The bodywork bulges out dramatically thanks to custom bolt-on overfenders, measuring some 11" at the front and 14" at the rear. The flares are fitted with custom fender liners to help protect the bodywork from errant debris. The overfenders are blended in to the bodywork with modified stock 964 rocker covers.

Custom Braid wheels wrapped in Pirelli PZero rally tires should give the car exceptional traction, especially coupled to the stock all wheel drive system. The AWD system used in the 964 has long proved problematic for enthusiasts wanting to modify their cars, as it couples the ABS and traction control together using an ultra-high pressure Hydroboost system. KMR retained the system for this build, and it remains fully functional.

Where most builders would be content with a beefy skidplate, KMR's go-anywhere approach demanded a more radical solution. The aerodynamic stock bumpers are long gone, replaced by custom 3/16" aluminum items that would look at home on a Moab-bound Jeep. The front bumper houses a quartet of LED lighting clusters, and the rear houses no fewer than six. A Rothmans-style light cluster is mounted to the hood. Did we mention the winch yet? We've never seen a 911 with a Warn Winch, but given the nature of this build it looks right at home.

Triple adjustable Kelly Moss spec coilovers are fitted at all four corners, and KMR has aligned the car for offroad use. The oil cooler has been relocated and fitted with an auxilliary fan to keep cool on the hottest days. The brakes are stock, but should prove effective given the size constraints from the custom wheels and the car's newfound offroad duties.

A surprising number of stock interior elements remain, including stock instrumentation, climate control, power windows, and even the stock center console with the original traction control and diff-lock switches. The stock seats have given way to adjustable Recaros, and the stock handbrake has been augmented by a tall hydraulic unit affixed to the side of the center console.

Backdates and S/T style 911s are all well and good, but we need to applaud Kelly Moss Motorsports' creativity. This Monocrhome Martini 911 dares to go where few have ever gone before; including devoted 911 rallyists. With a build like this we have just one question: When is our turn?
Old 02-15-2017, 12:01 PM
RADONCulous
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 67 Posts

WOW...I'll eat my initial words. I do appreciate the "busy" front and the purpose it serves. This is truly incredible. Also love the heavenly place the car is stored...
Old 02-15-2017, 04:56 PM
s4magman
Rennlist Member

No rollcage?
Old 02-17-2017, 11:00 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by s4magman
Mike, what is the plan? Great build.
I'm going to use it to go camping/fishing/shooting and then some all around hooligan'ing the rest of the time (and carry my dog to the office since he doesn't get to ride in the Turbo S).

s4magman, I don't like rollcages or rollbars on street cars -- too dangerous, IMO.

-mike
Old 02-18-2017, 12:36 AM
s4magman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fleadh
I'm going to use it to go camping/fishing/shooting and then some all around hooligan'ing the rest of the time (and carry my dog to the office since he doesn't get to ride in the Turbo S).

s4magman, I don't like rollcages or rollbars on street cars -- too dangerous, IMO.

-mike
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Quick Reply: 964 C4 – Safari RS Version 2.0