Off topic: extended vehicle warranties

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 03:08 PM
repguyMN
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Off topic: extended vehicle warranties

Hello,
Just bought a 2017 Passat TSI SEL Premium for my everyday car and was curious if anyone has purchased an extended warranty outside the car purchase/dealer?
The dealer pushed hard but the last one I purchased was a real pain. That and I think they mark them up pretty high.
With all the bells and whistles this car has I figure it might be a good thing to get an extended warranty. Any suggestions?
TIA
Old 01-20-2017, 05:50 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Mods...let move this thread
Old 01-22-2017, 02:05 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't have any personal advice, but I've been eyeing the Macan lately (seems ideal for me, outside of the cost ) and those guys talk about this subject frequently. Macanforum.com is the one I've been looking at; a scan of topics there might get you some good info.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:16 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2014 Mercedes GL 550. I'm pondering the same question. Basically $700 a year. So two grand for three extra years or 3500 for five years. I've got one more year on the factory warranty. It's got 32,000 miles. I only put about eight 9000 miles on it a year
Old 01-23-2017, 12:11 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

If you're buying a brand new car with a 3yr/36k mile warranty or whatever, why would you buy an extended warranty on the front end? What if you don't end up loving the car (or worse, it's a lemon) and sell it within the first 3yrs?

You can add an extended warranty down the road, maybe the price will go up (assumption because I have not researched pricing), but at least you're not spending thousands of dollars now when you won't even start to get a potential benefit from those dollars for a few years.

Those of you with expetise in this area, let me know what I'm not understanding, because that's been my thought process.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:35 AM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to buy within a month of buying car is my understanding. I drive my cars a long time so i know i will have car 6-7 years. Tax alone was $5k on this thing. Cant afford that every couple of years! My car only has one more yr factory warranty left. I had a bmw ( bring money with you) that killed me before. Every trip to the dealer was $1k... no matter what it was. So, 700$ a year doesn't sound too bad.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:00 AM
repguyMN
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vandit, very good point! The dealers never start the extended warranty after the factory warranty so you are double covered for a 3rd of the term. This is my first objection and where I start saying no. It still took an hour to get the guy to understand NO.
Thanks everyone for the constructive replies. I know it is not Porsche related or Mod related but we all love cars so I figured why not ask the group.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:15 AM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

In my opinion, extended warranties are just money makers for the dealers. You could be one of the unfortunate people that end up needing costly maintenance when the warranty expires, but that's not likely. If you play those odds (not buying the extended warranty) over your lifetime of vehicle purchases, you're likely to be way ahead financially.

Quick Reply: Off topic: extended vehicle warranties