A really dumb question only I can answer

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 08:58 PM
apanossi
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
Joe,

Build a race car out the the damn thing- asking that question around here is like holding an AA meeting at a bar.

Phil
+1 LMFAO funniest thing I have read in a while. I took a perfectly stock, collector grade 1994 factory widebody and stripped it out, threw out the belt driven power steering pump for an electric one, rearranged the accelerometers, on and on. I drive it everyday and wouldn't want it any other way.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:07 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

No, I would not do it.

First with nasa the 964 is in a strange place from a classing standpoint. You either put a crapload of cash in building up a motor, better suspension, crash diet and gearbox, and still get outgunned by BMWs that can be had for half of what you put in to your car, or you do lighter mods and run in GTS3 or ST4 and still ger outclassed by the BMWs in those classes.

At 120k you are going to be pressing on a pretty tired motor, so factor in the risk of major engine work. There is a big difference between running a de or a TT and coming in when the motor starts running hot VS I'm in second place reeling in first with third place all over your *** at the end of a season... Racing is a different deal and it's harder on stuff. Let alone crash repair on a 911.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE my 964 race car on the track, LOVE it. But if you are racing you need to look at the right weapon to take to the bar fight....

I would look into the local classes and see where 10.8pwr/wt (2700lbs/250hp) puts you and see if there's anyone to run with and what the lap times look like, are you close? But if you have to do much to be competitive I would seriously look into a M3 or water cooled pcar. You'll spend less, have more fun not worrying about bending it and still have a fun car for the street.....

Ask me how I know....
Old 01-29-2017, 10:49 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I'll agree BMW's are the way to go in GTS2 or 3 for NASA. I've shoped on and off for one for a couple years- I ended up with a GTS3 Cayman S that would probably be better converted to a spec Cayman. The good thing about running in Utah is GTS classes are pretty slim- if you head over to the Colorado tracks the GTS fields are much bigger and more competitive. Joe come back did we scare you off
Old 02-07-2017, 12:35 AM
ValveFloat
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, thank you for all the responses. Definitely some good insight here.

For the moment I have decided to keep the 964 and keep flogging it at the track.

I had thought seriously about buying and/or building a Spec Boxster, but in that case I would want to keep the 964 or have another 911 of some sort. I just can't imagine not having a 911. Problem is I don't have the time, space, or money for two sports cars in my life. Also, I just don't drive my 964 on the street very much at all. It goes to and from track events on a trailer, so besides local autocrosses it doesn't get driven on the street.

As Phil has pointed out the NASA GTS group in Utah (Miller being my "local" track) is pretty small. I know the guys currently running GTS2, the class my car would fit in, and we would be very competitive. If/when we go to Colorado, we will get spanked by the GTS2 E36s there.
Also, my plan is to be careful how I modify the 964 so that it can be in a stock PCA club race class with some ballast.

Again, thank you much for the input. Who knows if I will change my mind, but my plan is to put the cage in next winter after another season of track days and time trialing.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:37 AM
ValveFloat
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
I'll agree BMW's are the way to go in GTS2 or 3 for NASA. I've shoped on and off for one for a couple years- I ended up with a GTS3 Cayman S that would probably be better converted to a spec Cayman. ...
Wha?! You have a GTS3 Cayman? I can't wait to see it.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:17 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ValveFloat
Hey guys, thank you for all the responses. Definitely some good insight here.

For the moment I have decided to keep the 964 and keep flogging it at the track.

I had thought seriously about buying and/or building a Spec Boxster, but in that case I would want to keep the 964 or have another 911 of some sort. I just can't imagine not having a 911. Problem is I don't have the time, space, or money for two sports cars in my life. Also, I just don't drive my 964 on the street very much at all. It goes to and from track events on a trailer, so besides local autocrosses it doesn't get driven on the street.

As Phil has pointed out the NASA GTS group in Utah (Miller being my "local" track) is pretty small. I know the guys currently running GTS2, the class my car would fit in, and we would be very competitive. If/when we go to Colorado, we will get spanked by the GTS2 E36s there.
Also, my plan is to be careful how I modify the 964 so that it can be in a stock PCA club race class with some ballast.

Again, thank you much for the input. Who knows if I will change my mind, but my plan is to put the cage in next winter after another season of track days and time trialing.
Since you're casually thinking about SPB in Utah:

Tatum is trying to build 1-2 new SPBs a year and really hoping the class will gain some traction here as they really like it.

I'm doing a slow SPB DE to race car build here in Utah while working to earn my race license. I'm a new father so I get tied up a lot these next few years but I still make it to 5-6 Saturday events at Miller/UMC a year. If you see a pale yellow boxster with a black top, that's me

Hopefully in a few years we can have 4-5 SPBs show up here regularly and have a Spec Boxster/986 scene to break up all the 350Zs. So if you're on the fence, keep an eye out. I'm hoping the class grows here!
Old 04-14-2017, 07:46 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Joe,

Sounds like a solid plan. Email me when you have time I can show new car. If the spec boxster thing takes off in SLC - I'll buy one those -

Phil
Old 07-25-2017, 09:28 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Not $25k but looks like a nice car- https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-for-sale.html

Quick Reply: A really dumb question only I can answer