Sponsored by:

Front Crankshaft Seal Pops Out

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 10:12 PM
Roy Patterson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Crankshaft Seal Pops Out

I found a number of post about this problem but no one posted a solution.
The engine pushed the front crankshaft seal out losing oil. Replaced the seal (BTW I am experienced Porsche mechanic) immediately after starting the engine the seal is pushed out.
Oil pressure normal, engine internal pressure normal, oil pressure regulator normal. clean engine so assuming no obstruction of oil passages.
I have yet to blow out the oil passages with air or run a wire into them to check for a blockage. Oil filter blocked up or resticted???
I have replaced these seals and the seal itself seems to fit well but not tight usually easily installed. And usually no problem.
I have read posts where the oil pump has been replaced with a new pump and still the problem persists.
There are two different seals one early and one late but they are hardly interchangeable because of their size one is 52mm outside and one is 55mm outside.
My thought is the milled inside diameter of the oil pump housing is too large to retain the seal.
My second thought is what is going on with the oil pressure. These seals are not designed to retain direct oil pressure but then again the crankshaft is the drive for the oil pump.
At any rate it is my conclusion that replacing the pump seal and replacing the pump as well as the drive gear etc is not the solution.
Any one out there who has fixed this issue?
Old 01-14-2017, 10:42 AM
prschmn
Instructor

Are you talking about a 944 engine? Might get more answers posting in that forum.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:29 AM
Roy Patterson
Intermediate

Wrong Forum!

Quick Reply: Front Crankshaft Seal Pops Out