Sponsored by:

Engine rebuild or.....?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 07:02 AM
rutz964C4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Christer

My car had three small leaks, actually only one driped oil to the ground, the first one was from the the connector to the oil deposit, the fix was just to tied the connector, the second was from another connector in the rear, they changed the oil line and it´s gone, the third and most scary is from a cylinder head but it is very very small and they said it´s not worth to make the repair right now, the car also has 60.000km.

By the time I will need to make this repair which I hope is quite late, I would consider something in between like Gavin, the 3.8 conversion or even further the RUF RCT conversion (if I had right now the money I would do it now) but I would surely keep my 964 engine for this reasons:

- I know perfectly what has been done to my engine and how it has been treated.

- The exchange with a 993 engine is a nice option but it involves more additional work like new ECU for 993, exhaust (a 993TT engine would be a good idea for the work involved )

One last point, have you tried using a higher density oil? One in the ranges recommended for this engines. With a higher density the oil drip may be smaller...

ALEX
Old 11-05-2003, 07:03 AM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gavin had quite a lot done for his £5k, much of which was upgrades not related to oil leakage, I`ve been lead to believe the only way to permanently solve the problem of oil leaks at the cylinder head is to use the latter 993 P+C. Otherwise the problem is likely to re-occur, but if its re- occurring every 90K miles then it may be best to consider top end rebuilds as a service item.

Re: seats, try before you buy; I use SPG`s and they are very snug on me and I have snake hips
Old 11-05-2003, 07:25 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

A engine rebuild would cost about 10 to 12.000 US $ overhere in the Netherlands, so almost the sam in Euro's.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:38 AM
Ade - C4 91
Racer

Hi Christer,

If you have workspace have you considered rebuilding it yourself?

With all the help out there from friendly engine builders and some spare time, it would be easily achievable over a month or so. I always outsource head and machining work but most of the rest is disassembly, checking and reassembly with new parts. Certainly isn't going to cost you £5k

Ade
Old 11-05-2003, 07:39 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Christer - seats:

Depends on whether you want to retrim or replace. Southbound have a good reputation for Porsche, but there are others...I would certainly recomend the person who did my E30 M3 and I know enough about leather (I know a man who does) to make sure you'd be using the right stuff.

Re replacement, Cobra do have a good range. They are UK based and manufacture in UK (rather than others who manuf. in China etc) - which means that it is VERY easy to tailor to your requirements. I don't know your physical size, but they do race seats in GT width (ie wide). Also just about to launch a carbon recliner (like the Enzo). Lighter than standard seats, carbon back, still have recline facility.

Old 11-05-2003, 08:36 AM
Christer
Race Car

First of all I have neither the facilities or skill to do any engine work, other than wiping over with an oily rag!

John, yeah I know they always say 'through bolts' but as I said I will get some facts next Jan at the service.

Alex, I don't really know anything about my engine before I purchased it in 2001. I guess if you have owned yours from new then that is a different matter.

Tony/Rob - re the seats I would have to get some that were lighter than the standard ones. I have looked at GT3 seats but not sure how they would look in the cabin (anyone know or seen these in a 964?). At the same time, because I am concerned about how they would look I would not want any that screamed 'COBRA' or similar in decals/lettering if you see what I mean. Sizewise, I am bigger than most (at least widthwise) so again I realise that I need to try some out. I know Southbound, and the picture above from Rob looks like a nice seat. If they are lighter then I would go that sort of route.

Thanks chaps!
Old 11-18-2003, 01:53 AM
mark964
Intermediate

I just faced this dilema as well. In my case it was significant oil leakage on a 91 C2 Cab. I got tired of the smoke from burning oil on the exhaust. (Note: I purchased the car from EBay for a very good price knowing that this may be an issue).

In my case I chose to rebuild the engine. I put in NEW Mahle P/Cs (with the sealing ring). and used 993 heads. While I was at it I put in 993 camshafts that I had lying around. I checked the rod bearings and found they were fine so I just replaced the O rings on the case through bolts and did not split the case. I replaced all other seals and gaskets etc. along the way and a few rubber hoses that became too hard to seal correctly.

I also replaced the original Freudenberg DMF with a Luk DMF from a low mileage 993 and put in a fresh clutch and pressure plate.

For me this was the best option since I was able to do pretty much all work myself with the exception of machining and prepping the heads. My total cost came in at just under 4500 CDN. The P/Cs I obtained for a steal on Ebay. The rest of the hard parts I obtained from a local Porsche buddy.

The engine was out and back in the car in 3 weeks. I finished last night, turned the key and went for a spin before putting it away for the winter.

Quick Reply: Engine rebuild or.....?