Sponsored by:

Newbie- Question on potential purchase 964 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 03:52 PM
Simbad
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie- Question on potential purchase 964 Cab

Hi all. Just joined the Forum. UK guy living in Seattle. Hoping for some informed opinion. After browsing I think his is the place for that

I have been thinking about buying a 964 for a while now. Motivation is something I can drive, enjoy, play around with as a second car and hopefully not lose any money over the few years I have her. Get lucky maybe even make some.

I keep coming back to this car:
http://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal...ngId=427893714
In the event the link does now work it's a black 91 C2 cab for $48k. In very good condition, had 15k of engine work in the last 2k miles and has some mods like lowered, whale tail wheels etc.

So my questions...

- Thoughts on price? It seems the market has softened/slowed recently. It seems cabs are less the coupes. Is 48k high? What's a good price here?

- Thoughts on mods, everything is fairly simple, but whale tail versus factory spoiler, which is missing. BUT if I want to maintain/grow value over time am I better off with a fully stock car?

- Any other thoughts welcome.

I like the idea of a cab so that's my preference.

Trying the link again here just in case
http://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal...ngId=427893714
Old 12-23-2016, 04:23 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Great looking car, like the wheels. Not a fan of the tail.
I ran the VIN and that checks out. Definitely do a PPI.
Price seems a little high for a cab to me. But if that's what the market's at then great for the seller.
If you're looking to invest, I'd look elsewhere. If you want a fun ride that'll likely hold in value or not depreciate much, go for it.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:09 PM
Simbad
Advanced

Thanks. Thought the same about the tail. Though I like the look, I think original may be better. Guessing that it's not a big deal to put back.

The seller was selling me hard on the 15k rebuild he had done, telling me all the 964's need that work at some point and here it's done. Seemed fair.

I presume for investment purposes best bed is to seek out a coupe or maybe a cab in the low/mid 30's. Though that seems challenging.

Interested in others thoughts. The seller sent me lots of high quality pictures and interior and paintwork seem pretty flawless. Seemed like a well cared for car.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:17 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

That looks like a well loved cabrio. Get a Rennfax then ppi, and check records for deferred services. If everything checks out the price may very well be fair. Many times you think you bought a Porsche for a great price then shell out 5-10k to sort it out. GL
Old 12-23-2016, 08:17 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,645 Likes on 1,671 Posts

What was done in the "rebuild" ?
Old 12-23-2016, 09:03 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

$40k max. Does seller have OEM wheels, spoiler, etc. what suspension is on the car? Find out exactly what was done on the rebuild and post.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:31 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
. Many times you think you bought a Porsche for a great price then shell out 5-10k to sort it out. GL
This is absolutely correct. Doing "catch up" maintenance to get these cars right can easily absorb the $8-10k that separates a seemingly overpriced car from a "good deal." Pay now or pay later.

Alhough, as a cab owner (pics above) I am biased, for now the market does seem to be valuing coupes around $10-15k higher, all other things being equal. That is counter to the general principle for collector cars in which open cars are more sought after and highly valued than closed cars (e.g., compare 356 cab and coupe prices) and so I believe it will eventually reverse.
Old 12-24-2016, 03:46 AM
Simbad
Advanced

Thanks all. I have asked for the breakdown of mechanic work done. And will post. I feel like this is top money for this car which is not normally my style. BUT this car seems to be in top shape and with significant mechanical work done. So I am thinking it might make sense as a beautiful driver on weekends that can maintain value over the years. I wish the mileage was 20-30k lower as I feel collectors value 40k-50k mile Cars?

@jjjmcd nice looking car. Is the delta to a coupe really that high? Crazy to me as I would prefer a cab. I am not looking for a speed demon or I'd just buy a 996TT for the same money. I am looking for something I can enjoy and the cab seems perfect for that.
Old 12-24-2016, 03:59 AM
Simbad
Advanced

Sorry one more from a newbie. What's a Rennfax?
Old 12-24-2016, 06:14 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Simbad
If the vehicle is not local to you, asking someone local to the vehicle to lay eyes on it, report back on the condition, take pictures, etc... Basically, an unbiased set of eyes on the car.

PS: This cab has been for sale for quite some time with no buyers.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:35 AM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would third the pay now or pay later advice. I wouldn't look at it as an investment. Buy it, enjoy it, and if you break even after a few years that is bonus. It's a lot of fun for the dollar. You will probably do little upgrades / maintenance that will eat up your profits but thats ok.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:14 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

. @jjjmcd nice looking car. Is the delta to a coupe really that high? Crazy to me as I would prefer a cab..
Thank you. Yes, low to mid thirties for a nice cab, mid to high forties for a comparable coupe seems to be the range, but prices have probably backed down a bit over the last 9-12 months from their peak.

Targas used to be cheapest of the three, but have climbed in value lately and, some say, have eclipsed cabs. To me, they're the worst of all worlds - all the flex, noise and leaks of a cab without the true open air feeling of a cab.

I have owned and loved my cab for 16 years and over 60k miles. There is nothing quite like the sound of the engine roaring behind you and the sun warming your forehead as you wind through a twisty country road....
Old 12-24-2016, 05:08 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

If you are really interested, post a thread like this:

Rennfax Request in Alpharetta, GA...

Hopefully someone local will chime in to look at the car before you proceed with PPI. I've requested Rennfaxes and have done a few for RL'ers as well.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:30 PM
Simbad
Advanced

Got it. I am familiar with that concept as a regular BAT lurker
Old 12-24-2016, 09:01 PM
Simbad
Advanced

Default The Work Done

First off- Happy Xmas to those that celebrate it ! and thanks for all the help and advice.

I got details on the work done and can also confirm it has the original wheels with it too, but the original rear spoiler is removed and not with the car. curious how easy and how much to replace if I wanted to.

Here's the list of work, abbreviated.....

completed Jul 2014

Broken Cylinder head stud 1.
removed engine and trans, seperated, disassembled engine down to case.
Removed and replaced all case/cylinder head studs
reassembled engine using all new gaskets and seals, cylinder heads rebuilt
replaced rear crankshaft seal
engine cross support bar bent- obtained and welded in gusset reinforcement plate
painted cross bar
cleaned all engine components and trans and changed oil

Left front axle boot
replaced both from lower control arms
4 wheel alignment
sound proof insulation at firewall removed and replaced
Power steering replaced with new boots
AC recharge

Bill for all of above was $13,802
All work completed at Jim Ellis Porsche

I get that was 2014 but it seems to me like the owner had it in to get everything that needed sorted sorting. interested if folks think that this work could justify the higher price $48k that he is asking. I feel like if I could get this for $40k it's a sold buy. but at $48k it still seems at the very high end of the market, hence sitting for a while.

Cheers guys

Quick Reply: Newbie- Question on potential purchase 964 Cab