Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left Rear Bumper Valance for Dual Exhaust

Old 12-21-2016, 07:04 PM
Pkblu
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Left Rear Bumper Valance for Dual Exhaust

Preparing to do a dual exhaust set-up on my car, and am looking for a left rear bumper valance with an exhaust exit already cut. Found the following, does any one have any experience, or recommendations, on any of these?

FVD:

http://www.fvd.de/index.php?VID=3840...12205&x=7&y=12

Design911UK:

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod60...-LEFT-Section/

Werks911:

http://werks911.com/products/body-co...r-dual-exhaust
Old 12-21-2016, 07:33 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

FVD..needed some work to get it to fit properly
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
DRIVE2020 (03-10-2020)
Old 12-25-2016, 09:30 AM
Pkblu
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02m2
FVD..needed some work to get it to fit properly
Wow, gorgeous color on your car. Cool plate too. Can you elaborate on the fitment of the FVD piece?
Old 12-25-2016, 01:59 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I personally did not do it but did go look at it during the fitment and painting process. I think it needed to be trimmed and the attachment points reworked to get it to align properly. I didn't like how far out the fvd exhaust tips stuck out from the back bumper. Fvd supplied me with another set of tips but they were in too far. I just took the car to an exhaust guy and had him cut the pipes and put the tips where I wanted them. 0ne of those little details that few notice but bugged me.

Originally Posted by Pkblu
Wow, gorgeous color on your car. Cool plate too. Can you elaborate on the fitment of the FVD piece?

Last edited by 02m2; 12-25-2016 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-14-2019, 10:34 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Bump. I’m planning a dual exhaust and would like to know who makes the best left rear bumper valance with an exhaust cutout. Design 911? FVD? Werks911? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:37 AM
Jostein Werner
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried the one from FVD. It looked like something they had picked up from the garbage. It was no way near to fit with the original Center piece, they had also cut away too much on the area where the mountings to the Center is. The fibreglass was very thin and fragile in several places. Not worth a professional paint job.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:14 PM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I got the one from Design 911. It arrived in good overall condition. well constructed and with an even thickness throughout the piece. Fit was better than expected but not perfect as the holes that connect the end piece to the centre panel of the bumper needed to be drilled out slightly. Fitting it to the car was straightforward. I'd give it an 8/10 and given the price it was reasonable value for money.

Neil

Last edited by rotorheadcase; 12-17-2019 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:44 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input Neil, the car looks great! Did you also buy the center section from 911? I like the lines, but I don’t see it on their website. Thanks,
Old 12-17-2019, 01:09 AM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Oddly enough I got the centre RS panel from a guy in Hong Kong advertising on a 964 Facebook page. It was a bit of a risk as he had no history selling 964 parts but somehow was offering this in GRP instead of fibreglass. It was cheap enough so I took a gamble. It took a few weeks to show up but it was perfect. Clean lines, accurate size and fit. I did give him some feedback that a left exhaust panel would also be highly popular if made to the same standard but never heard from him again.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:39 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Get in quick Foxy!

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=135656

Actually not such a bargain it would seem;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-9...UAAOSwK0pbvLXh
Old 12-21-2019, 11:52 AM
Moriartyhlms
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

I actually used a jig saw to cut an exhaust tip hole in my left bumper corner. It looked surprisingly acceptable, just missing that bevel that goes around the rim of the stock cut-out. I made a template from the right side cut-out with a thin piece of cardboard, then just flipped it over and traced it on the left side.

I also used a RS centersection from Cultwerks, purchased on eBay. The material and fit were good, but it arrived with a crack and be advised that the RS towing lug location is different from stock (I tried to move the hole and did a poor fiberglass job).

The larger question is, are 964 dual exhausts any good? My own experience with a B&B system, is that it’s definitely not. Between drone, volume, and a large dyno-proven power loss vs stock I’m back with a stock-ish single exhaust tip set-up and bumper. There are a lot of threads on this including my own. I’d only go dual if it was a 993 system or maybe something from Cargraphic.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:16 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm using the FVD left side cutout. Was not difficult to clamp in place and drill for the mounting holes. I left off the lower mounting strut. Paint shop charged $175 and said it needed just a little work finishing work. The result is as good as anything factory. Been running it in all kinds of weather and events for almost 3 years. I didn't notice any thin glass or issues, but glass parts are known to be inconsistent and maybe this one just came off the mold better than others.

As for dual tips, it entirely depends on the system. I've got no drone and can definitely feel a seat of the pants difference when I open the left-side outlet. Volume with the left outlet closed is about the same as stock with a cat-bypass, and I'm running a sport cat. With the left side open, it's more like a cat+cup bypass. Someday I'll get to the dyno for a real open/close left side test.

What system are you looking at Foxman? You're not limited by needing heat, or caring as much about volume, if I recall

PS- remember to use a no-foreign-fee credit card with FVD as they charge from Germany. I always forget and get stuck with the goofy credit card fee.

The following users liked this post:
DRIVE2020 (03-10-2020)
Old 12-22-2019, 08:44 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the great input Guys. I think I’m going to take my chances with the FVD bumper valance. I see they also make an RS Center Section that’s made out of ABS plastic, not fiberglass. I’m planning on deleting the bumper bar and supports, and will try and fabricate something that lines up with the hole for the tow hook.

I’m planning on running with these B&B headers, with heat. I do drive the car in the winter, and I’m hoping to get the car out on Lake Champlan for some ice laps. I’m not expecting any major gains with the dual B&B, but I certainly don’t anticipate any loss of power.

“New” B&B exhaust

With heat
Old 12-22-2019, 03:59 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

I just ordered the FVD valance and RS center section and will report back on the results. If you pay via PayPal linked to your bank account there are no extra fees. Shipping charges were steep at $83, but the code Renn10 yielded a 10% discount.

I seem to be going down the same path as Moriartyhlms. The B&B exhaust system came right off your car! I read your thread on the drone at 2,500 RPM’s. I honestly try to never let the RPM’s fall below 3,000. So I’m not too worried about drone. But I didn’t see anything in your B&B thread about power loss. My mechanic swears by the B&B system, and he’s never let me down. Did you really experience power loss??
Old 12-23-2019, 10:31 PM
Moriartyhlms
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

Hello Jim, I made the rookie mistake of not realizing this was your thread when I commented on it. In short, the end of my story with the B&B is this: I was coming off a big engine rebuild, we did an initial dyno tuning session, I then failed the CA smog check, so I decided to go back to the stock exhaust (albeit, with Cup Pipe) in hopes of passing, then I did another dyno tuning session and at the end of that we were surprised to see a clear power difference between this second session with the stock exhaust and the first session with the B&B.

Take that with a grain of salt though. I can’t speak for the tuner, maybe he just knew what he was doing a lot better that second time around. Also, my engine is heavily modified. However, what my dyno sessions do prove is how good the stock headers/exhaust actually are; I got 382 whp on a mustang dyno with that set-up, stock cat, and I pass CA smog. Details and dyno sheets here if you’re interested.

So the point I’m trying to make is that the stock 964 single exhaust is actually pretty good both in terms of performance and sound (albeit, with some simple mods for sound), while dual outlet exhausts on the 964 seem to come with the risk of some drawbacks. The only guaranteed upside with the dual outlets being style...and that’s subjective.

Having said all this, as we discussed, you car is a somewhat different circumstance because it’s track-focused. My opinion of that B&B is that it sounded really loud and dramatic at higher rpm (which will be cool on track); but it was too much for my street usage when you’re constantly setting off car alarms, blowing up parking garages, and getting headaches from drone. Regarding the power thing, that was just my experience, and it may have been distorted by the sequence of my tuning sessions and exhaust tinkering. I’m pretty confident you’ll enjoy it in your application; and if you do pre and post install dyno runs, we’d love to see the results.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Left Rear Bumper Valance for Dual Exhaust