Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reuse caliper mounting bolts

Old 12-12-2016, 10:18 AM
nickyv
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reuse caliper mounting bolts

My 90 C-2 has 58k miles on it. Rebuilding the front brake calipers. Seeing some discussions on other sites on reusing the caliper mounting bolts. Mine appear to be in good shape. Can they be reused? Does anyone know if these are considered one time torque use bolts? Also, the use of loctite blue is recommended quite a bit on other sites. Agree? Disagree? Lastly, optimoly HT lubricant. Found a thread that said should he lightly used on the guide plates which I have cleaned up. Anyone know where to buy it or an acceptable substitute? Thanks much.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:27 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Optimoly HT is basically "copper antisieze"- so any automotive store will have a suitable replacement. HT is "high temp".

The bolts are re-use. And there is a curvy lock washer that sits behind the head of the bolt. I've seen a few cars where these are missing.

Clean the threads in the upright and on the bolt, use the antiseize as prescribed in the manual. Torque is something like 63-65 ft/lbs. can't remember - but look that up and all good. If you are missing the lock washers, replace. Make sure if you don't use oem that there is some corrosion resistance- yellow zinc cobalt plated is how the oem are...
Old 12-12-2016, 11:32 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

I seem to remember reusing mine when installing plastic bushings in my C2's front A-arms.
And before that when installing new disks at all four corners?

I don't recall using loc-tite. (Though in hindsight, a little of the blue would've been nice insurance, I guess.)

But that's just 'shade tree' experience.
I'm looking forward to what a pro has to say.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:10 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by nickyv
Seeing some discussions on other sites on reusing the caliper mounting bolts. Mine appear to be in good shape. Can they be reused?
The reason Porsche started to warn against reusing the caliper bolts was because the corrosion coating (originally zinc-dichromate, then dacromet and now some advanced version of dacromet (geomet, protekt, etc.) that meets their latest corrosion performance specification) is removed from the fastener when you remove the fastener from the caliper/suspension. So if you reuse the fastener, two years later when you try to remove it, the thing seizes in place and rips the threads out, making for a big and sometimes expensive mess. It is rare but it happens.

Also, the use of loctite blue is recommended quite a bit on other sites. Agree?
Don't use loctite, as it only makes the problem worse. These bolts will not come out unless you install them incorrectly.

Disagree? Lastly, optimoly HT lubricant. Found a thread that said should he lightly used on the guide plates which I have cleaned up. Anyone know where to buy it or an acceptable substitute? Thanks much.
You can buy Optimoly (HT/TA/MP0/3EP/ETC) from any Porsche dealership. There are other cheaper substitutes however most will effect the torque applied to a fastener, which is (i'm guessing) one reason why it has always been specified by Porsche. Obviously on the spring plates it won't make a difference. But for fasteners you will have to calculate a new torque specification.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:26 PM
nickyv
Intermediate

Thanks much. Jason, is there anything I can or should put on the current bolts that would alleviate the corrosion issue on a re-use basis but would still be acceptable from a safety + torque standpoint?
Old 12-12-2016, 04:04 PM
apanossi
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just did a major refurb on my brakes. I decided that my 20+ year old caliper bolts were ready to be replaced. The threads were looking a bit worn but still holding well. They aren't necessarily cheap.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:35 PM
nickyv
Intermediate

Greetings Apanossi. FYI from my other thread I went with new discs up front. Still trying to get the rear calipers off. Do you know if those bolts can be picked up anywhere?
Old 12-12-2016, 04:36 PM
anto1150
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Antisieze paste will prevent corrosion and help threads last longer.
Loctite will melt at 140°, so it's useless.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:15 PM
nickyv
Intermediate

Default My local dealership

Never heard of Optimoly. I had to give them the part number and they didn't carry it. Had to order it, which I didn't. Hoping to find some locally real quick. I want to keep pushing this project along. It's drive time in AZ.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:26 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Never heard of Optimoly. I had to give them the part number and they didn't carry it. Had to order it, which I didn't. Hoping to find some locally real quick
As mentioned by Goughary, the closest you'll find locally is Permatex® Copper Anti-Seize Lubricant. Optimoly HT is just a higher quality (and stickier!) paste made by Castrol. I have no idea about their silicone and ceramic brake part lubricants.

If you plan to work on your 964 it so much easier to just order the right stuff in the beginning from Sunset Imports. And forget about the urge to drive around and try to source anything locally (especially from the local Porsche dealership). The prices are probably cheaper and the quality will be a huge improvement. Especially when it comes to things like fasteners, just forget about the hardware store variety. The thickness of the corrosion coatings is almost non-existent.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:05 AM
anto1150
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never heard of Optimoly. I had to give them the part number and they didn't carry it. Had to order it, which I didn't. Hoping to find some locally real quick. I want to keep pushing this project along. It's drive time in AZ.
Some good alternatives to Optimoly are:

LOCTITE 8150
MOLYCOTE GN PLUS
CHESTERTON 725
Old 12-14-2016, 10:13 AM
apanossi
Banned

Agree with Jason above. Sunset is where I get all my parts from. Some items might take some time to get in, but still some of the best pricing around.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:23 AM
nickyv
Intermediate

Default Agreed

I would like nothing better than to have all I need up front. It's been a learning experience. Things like Optimoly, re-use of mounting bolts, the lock washer etc more or less came up after my original research and parts order was done. I just kept researching and these things popped up. Like anything in life, experience always helps the second time around. Thank goodness for you guys! Do you use Sunset because of price? I've been using Pelican.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:49 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

I would like nothing better than to have all I need up front. It's been a learning experience. Things like Optimoly, re-use of mounting bolts, the lock washer etc more or less came up after my original research and parts order was done. I just kept researching and these things popped up. Like anything in life, experience always helps the second time around. Thank goodness for you guys! Do you use Sunset because of price? I've been using Pelican.
Yes, I use Sunset because of price. They give discounts to the factory parts.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:23 PM
apanossi
Banned

Nickyv, you describe what we all go through when we take on a project on our 964s. Sometimes, it's hard to come up with a definitive list of what you will need. These days I will "over-order" parts for a project and send back what I don't absolutely need. That way, you will not have to wait another 2-4 weeks for factory parts to arrive just so you can finish what you were doing. After the first couple times I did this, I learned my lesson. You also save on shipping costs.

As for the Optimoly HT, just get yourself standard copper grease. There are various vendors for this...Loctite, Permatex, Liquimoly. AutohausAZ is a great source for some aftermarket parts and lubricants/greases/fluids. Here's a link to Liquimoly copper anti-sieze for under $7. Can't beat that. http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/2012 . Don't waste your money on the factory recommended greases/lubricants. Some of those don't exist in the same description, and in many cases, have been improved upon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reuse caliper mounting bolts