Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 RS finally 25 years old...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 01:39 PM
Jamie Summers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a very difficult situation to resolve, and who knows how they actually came from the factory ?
If you regularly use harnesses then the three point belts are annoying if threaded through the seats. If used just on street then it makes sense to have the three point through the lap hole for tighter fitment over the thighs.

Last edited by Jamie Summers; 12-17-2016 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Spulling
Old 12-18-2016, 11:51 PM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by creaturecat
what model year is that unit?
magnesium wheels?
you gonna drive it on the street? how many miles per year, if so?
no a/c, correct?
nice. sourced from Japan?
Car will be on the Boat next week.

9 Early 92 Build it will be registered and ready to go late Jan.
Correct Mag Wheels, No AC, street car. Imported from Japan.
I will drive it as much as possible.... Maybe 2k a year a most...

Car will go to Bend OR to Sir Smith's shop for a love making session. minus the bubble rap....

It will be a long wait until the Gravel is off the road.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:45 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

thanks for the info.
Alex at Eurosport Imports let me take a 964 RS for a long, spirited drive.
Porsche nirvana, a seriously solid platform, that car.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:59 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Alex (from Eurosport) and the 964RS.
Attached Images  
Old 12-19-2016, 03:29 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 964Q
Very off topic. Interesting to see how the seat belt system has changed over the years.

The GT2 setup is ideal. Symmetrical and close to thigh. I don't think the older receivers are meant to bend through the seat hole though.

I wonder if the lower anchor (outboard, for belt not receiver) moves with the seat like the receiver anchor (inboard) does.

Originally Posted by azander
I've wondered to. 968 CS... Same generation and seat, different belt configuration.
I believe Porsche changed the routing at some point in the 90s. Pretty sure change is year dependent not car dependent. 993 forum might know.

These seats were used in Porsche streetcars all the way up to '98 AFAIK (GT1 streetversion). Audi used them in some streetcars thru the early new millenium.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:19 PM
MRH
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
The GT2 setup is ideal. Symmetrical and close to thigh. I don't think the older receivers are meant to bend through the seat hole though.

I wonder if the lower anchor (outboard, for belt not receiver) moves with the seat like the receiver anchor (inboard) does.

I believe Porsche changed the routing at some point in the 90s. Pretty sure change is year dependent not car dependent. 993 forum might know.

These seats were used in Porsche streetcars all the way up to '98 AFAIK (GT1 streetversion). Audi used them in some streetcars thru the early new millenium.
Yes, moves with the seat.
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2016, 10:32 AM
Jamie Summers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FrenchToast

Agreed, the GT2 set-up is the best ergonomically (and probably safety-wise), but annoying if you want to use harnesses for track work.

The seats in the 964 RS, 993 RS, 968 CS, GT1 etc are essentially a cross between Recaro Pole Positions and Profi SPG (a subject done to death elsewhere on this and other forums). By the time the 996 GT3 came along they moved to a different design.
The Pole Position type seats have continued to be used in niche, track focussed, cars in Europe until pretty recently. Cars that spring to mind are BMW M3 CSL (E46), Audi TT Sport (I think that was what it was called) and various Merc AMG Black Series. I have no doubt there were others too.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:16 PM
964Q
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OP, are you going to drive the car with the magnesium wheels on the street?

For the street, the GT2 looks to be safest. Would the GT2 seat collapse in the event of a roll over?

I know buckets are supposed to be used as part of a safety system (roll bar, bucket, harness, hans), but I've been guilty of running the Carerra GT seat belt configuration for awhile.

Quick Reply: 964 RS finally 25 years old...