The making of a Porsche rest-volution - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
964 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The making of a Porsche rest-volution

Old 07-02-2017, 01:47 PM
Santa Cruz Red
User

It's pretty plain to see you're doing this project "on the cheap"... insert HUGE smiley face! The engine work looks remarkable, are those billet heads?
Old 07-02-2017, 06:35 PM
Nylasurf
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Santa Cruz Red View Post
It's pretty plain to see you're doing this project "on the cheap"... insert HUGE smiley face! The engine work looks remarkable, are those billet heads?
Yeah..."on the cheap" for a porsche owner now means you aren't willing to build a Singer...if I could I would...plus Rob Is a true stand up guy as he entertained my wishful insanity years ago when I thought 250K was crazy...fastforward to today and your lucky if half a mill covers his cars.

The heads are a custom cast piece from a guy Jae works with exclusively. Jae gives him the dimensions and out comes these beautiful pieces of art. I asked why Jae didn't like billet and he said he does, but he has had the better results with these.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:47 PM
Nylasurf
Addict
Rennlist Member

As I had mentioned previously, I have been working on some pretty unique ideas for this project, but wanted to pull as much from Porsche's past while modernizing the car as a whole. While DSCSport/Tractive's system isn't Porsche necessarily, it was the best solution for adding adaptiive handling found on today's cars.

Wheel choice is always a personal preference and I will never tell someone that the wheels they chose for them isn't attractive, but just not my taste. As such I love seeing what different wheels and styles people go for on their cars, specifically the 964. I am a fan of the Fuchs, BBS, Cup 1s and D90s. Some I like more than others, but I also think the car's color plays a part for me as well.

I have been waffling on wheel choices for this project. and came up with the following modern offierings that would work.

But it wasn't Until I saw this car that I decided on a project

That got me thinking I wanted to be able to have that classic race/outlaw look but be able to dress it up too...

Came up with this concept:

So I did want any fiscally conservative porsche owner did...went out and found a company willing to bring this wheel to fruition...right now is rough sketch but working on finalizing the details to make a forged monoblock 17" steelie replica with cap.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:25 PM
metalracer
Addict
Rennlist Member

These guys already make what you're looking for, in aluminum, 15" thru 18" diameters, any width & offset you want, finish yourself or have them finish. First class outfit, dealt with them several times.

Here's a set of 16x7/8s on a client's car.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:04 AM
Nylasurf
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by metalracer View Post
These guys already make what you're looking for, in aluminum, 15" thru 18" diameters, any width & offset you want, finish yourself or have them finish. First class outfit, dealt with them several times.

Here's a set of 16x7/8s on a client's car.

Beautiful car metalracer, but who are "those guys"...didn't see a link or you name them. Those wheels look awesome.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:02 AM
metalracer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nylasurf View Post
Beautiful car metalracer, but who are "those guys"...didn't see a link or you name them. Those wheels look awesome.
Ooops! I didn't check to see of the link attached/worked.... Here you go:

www.alloyreplicas.com
Old 07-14-2017, 11:54 PM
Nylasurf
Addict
Rennlist Member

Car went to Paint this week...awaiting on photos.

Jae sent me a couple of photos of the motor nearing completion.

Jae installed a different temp and pressure switch console on the motor. he machined the case to use a 993 oil filter console on the side of the case. He told me the 964 engines did not have anything there as the case was just plugged with an aluminum plug, like a freeze plug. He told me that the earlier engines had an oil cooler mounted around that location.

He decided to install the 993 deep switch console as it diverts the oil thru a filter prior to the oil that goes right to the main bearings from that location. This provides an extra measure of security as it catches any debris from going to the main bearings. if there are any....

It is the small things that make all the difference...having the opportunity to take lessons learned across the Porsche line and incorporate them into a cohesive package is what this build is all about for me...to meld 60 years of Porsche into a singular car (my vision of course).

All that remains is working out the Exhaust and deciding on injectors. Going to bring the motor to an Engine dyno in the next couple of weeks.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:30 AM
911Jetta
Addict
Rennlist Member

It is the small things that make all the difference...having the opportunity to take lessons learned across the Porsche line and incorporate them into a cohesive package is what this build is all about for me...to meld 60 years of Porsche into a singular car (my vision of course).
+1. Love it!
Old 09-01-2017, 03:39 AM
Nylasurf
Addict
Rennlist Member

It has been a while since I have provided an update...and it has been a while since there has been any progression on my project...other than the heart of the beast which I can report is ALIVE!!!!

I got to spend the day with a few legends in the Porsche community (especially in SoCal) and IMHO some of the most skilled, honest and genuinely nice individuals I have had the pleasure of meeting and spending time.

(Steve Wong, Jae Lee and Randall Aase)

Given that Southern California is in a bit of a heat wave (parts reaching 114 today), the crew was all in high spirits despite being stuck in a dyno room benchmarking my motor in 103 degree heat. Randall let us use his dyno to tune the motor, and Steve W. provided his expertise in dialing her in. I don't have to quantify my comments above regarding the skill and knowledge possessed by these three, but NICE because they entertained my stupid questions all day in the heat, and honest as both Randall and Jae kept telling me how THIS dyno would most likely break my heart if I was looking for big (i.e. unrealistic) numbers. Further prefaced with Randall stating that he believes this is the hottest day he has ever dyno-ed a motor...

We cracked her off about 1030 for the first time as we had a technical oversight preventing us from getting the injectors to fire. (lesson 1 of the day - check, check, and check some more when it comes to ensuring all of the connectors are in place).

Spent the day tuning and dialing in the motor. Lesson 2 - better to have failures in the Dyno room as the mess is not your own...which leads to lesson 3 - just cause it is a new part doesn't make it a good part. one of the seals near the fuel sender was bad, it was discovered when the motor started puking oil all over the floor just after lighting the firecracker. It is nice to be in a shop that works on racecars as they tend to have spares lying around...(if you are reading this Randall...thank you again)

Lesson 4 - experts thrive on adversity: after several runs, the brain trust felt they weren't getting the best out of the motor...it was making power but topping out around 5700 RPM...consensus was the solenoid flap wasn't opening. Now they could have decided the day was done, but the solution was to run and tune with it closed...then run and tune with it wired open...(thank you Steve W.) So a new solenoid is on order and all should be good shortly.

So as she stands now, I have a dialed in 3.8 CARB/SMOG legal motor awaiting a fresh body to rejoin. We may end up dressing her up a bit and trimming a little visual fat here and there, but short of the exhaust (custom setup running 993 heat collectors) she is complete.

I almost forgot the second rule of Forum etiquette...(after if it doesn't have photos it didn't happen/worthless - which is a Vegas rule too if I recall). Crazy dyno numbers are required for boasting about how much xxx my car is than xxx. We all know sick cars that put out crazy numbers, we all can argue about various conditions/which dyno was used, etc., and honestly I am happy to hear it all. For me this day was to benchmark what the motor is currently, as I know that once a tinkerer, always a tinkerer, so that when I make changes I know what worked and what didn't. My only regret was not dynoing the stock motor for a true baseline.

So you are looking at two final runs...a run with the flap closed (Black line) producing the best results at below 5700 RPM and (Red Line) a run with the flap open for the optimal power above 5700 RPM. (now for my conditional statements on why my number are +/- expectations ) 103 degree ambient temps...so although SAE corrected...there may be a bit more hiding in there. I am really happy with the results as this is primarily a streetcar that can be tracked for DE/hillclimb and some fun trackdays. Above all else she needs a strong heart that will run problem free for a long while. 308 hp and 275 tq... should be fun !!!

I cannot say enough good things about the guys I spent the day with today...Thanks Jae, Randall and Steve W.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:15 AM
911Jetta
Addict
Rennlist Member

What an experience! It's amazing who you end up meeting through these cars.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:33 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

What a great thread. I may have to take a drive to Fallbrook to check out your car in progress. I am always intrigued with restoration and paintwork and seeing cars at various stages.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:48 PM
Nylasurf
Addict
Rennlist Member

What an experience! It's amazing who you end up meeting through these cars.

911Jetta - I couldn't agree with you more...since I started going down this path, be it the great people on this forum or those I have met and spoke to in person...Porsche personalities are "amazing"

Originally Posted by Marine Blue View Post
What a great thread. I may have to take a drive to Fallbrook to check out your car in progress. I am always intrigued with restoration and paintwork and seeing cars at various stages.
It is an impressive shop...both the restoration and sales side, worth a trip.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:36 PM
Nylasurf
Addict
Rennlist Member

It has been again too long since I've posted...well December got pushed to End of February...but progress is moving more quickly now. Custom headlights and tailights are just about done, the wheels went through a couple of design changes and a change in vendors - Dan Pye and his team at Augmented have been beyond expectations... here they are being cut.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:30 AM
Nylasurf
Addict
Rennlist Member

With the smaller detail pieces coming together from a variety of different places the car itself is moving forward. In fact next week it should be moving down to Tony and his team at Autobahn Interiors for them to begin their magic. I have some fun things in store for the interior but for now I can share the color palette - keeping for the most part the original color scheme (Amazon Green exterior, Linen interior).
Old 01-16-2018, 08:28 PM
Nylasurf
Addict
Rennlist Member

The fan and valve covers came back and will be put back on the motor...the color looks more brown in the photos than in person

This will be an accent color throughout the car on different detail pieces such as the calipers, etc. it is Weissach Platinum / Pongee Metallic depending on who you ask. It was offered on the 1980 911 SC Weissach edition. We are pushing to have the car done for Amelia Island Werks Reunion...don't know if that will happen though.

Last edited by Nylasurf; 01-16-2018 at 08:29 PM. Reason: forgot to add a detail

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The making of a Porsche rest-volution

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: