Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   16" Wheels for the Track???? (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/96173-16-wheels-for-the-track.html)

scupper 10-31-2003 07:13 AM

16" Wheels for the Track????

Thinking about buying wheels and R compound tires for the track. Presently I am running 17 inch wheels for both my summer and snow tires. But how about for the track. Other discussions have commented on the lightness and strength of the D-90s - but I believe they are only 16 inch wheels - - (is this correct?)

Are there advantages of running 16" versus 17" wheels on the track for DEs?

Chuck
93 C2

BrokeAss 10-31-2003 08:13 AM

A 16" wheel will have a taller, softer sidewall and won't be as responsive as a 17" wheel with it's shorter and stiffer sidewall.

As for tires, I've really enjoyed the Kumho V700's. Michelin Pilot Sport Cups are reported by some to be a better tire, but they're a lot more money. I like the Kumho because of the bang for the buck. They're cheap, they stick very well and they last.

joey bagadonuts 10-31-2003 12:27 PM

Re: 16" Wheels for the Track????

Originally posted by scupper
Are there advantages of running 16" versus 17" wheels on the track for DEs?
I think the only advantages are financial: cheaper wheels and tires.

As someone mentioned in another post, the D90's may not offer the same amount of brake cooling as the 5-spoke variety, but you can also buy 16's with a 5-spoke configuration. In fact, there are two postings right now in the Rennlist MEMBERS Classifieds for such rims.

scupper 10-31-2003 12:39 PM

Thanks, Joey and Terry -

Yeah, you have confirmed my thoughts regarding 16s. Guess I'll look around for a scuffed up set of 17" wheels for track use. I have a bit of time - - the next scheduled track event in our region is March of next year!

Chuck
93 C2

Bill Gregory 10-31-2003 01:44 PM

As for tires, I've really enjoyed the Kumho V700's. Michelin Pilot Sport Cups are reported by some to be a better tire, but they're a lot more money. I like the Kumho because of the bang for the buck. They're cheap, they stick very well and they last.
Well, since this opened into tires.....I've used and don't recommend the Kumho Ecsta V700's, as, although they wore well in 17", the consistently got greasy after around 10 mins. I haven't used the Victoracer V700's, however, lots of people have, since the BFG's disappeared a few years back. The Michelin's are pricey, but are long wearing with good stick.

donoman 10-10-2007 04:53 AM

Bump for an old thread.

Does anyone drive their car on the track with D-90's still (6 and 8's)? My original intention was to purchase track wheels but looks like I am saving for a wedding ring instead and I'm contemplating running my D90's at the track next month (2 events). Or I could use the credit cards... no... must... resist....

I know the tires on there right now are just horrible in terms of grip... RE730 or something. On my previous cars I had: Miata, Toyo T1R - lots of traction... M3, Yok AVS100 - not enough grip and too noisy. I know RA1's are available... I will probably go with those.

Also are yall using stock sizing with the D-90's (205's and 225's)? I've read that BGLeduc uses 245's in the rear but he also comments that 225's in the front bulge. So, if I didn't want to increase understeer, I should stick with the stock sizing, right?

ddubois 10-10-2007 09:45 AM

I'm in this exact quandry right now. I have 6 & 8 D90s on my car with 205 and 225s. The tires are cheap Fuzion ZR that were new on the car when I bought it last year. I just purchased a set of 993 7 & 9 cups with 50% Yoko AVS100 (205 and 255) and I'm trying to decide how to handle this.

1.) Do I make the 17s dedicated track wheels and install MPSCs?
2.) Do I look for a good compromise street tire so I can leave my 17s on the car but have something that will perform well for my 4 or 5 DEs/year?
3.) Do I make my D90s dedicated track wheels with MPSCs (do they come in 16s?)?

After 4 days of DE (my total experience) with the D90s and low quality street tires I'm no expert and I don't have a reference to compare against, but it doesn't seem like comparable cars with track tires are that much faster. I will say that now that I have ground off half the tread on the Fuzion ZRs they seem to work a little better, or maybe I'm getting a little better, who knows?
Bottom line is I'm still having fun with the D90/Fuzions on the track, but I would like to experience the difference.

I'm leaning toward option 2. Any thoughts or suggestions for a good compromise 17" tire?

deep_uv 10-10-2007 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by ddubois (Post 4659723)
I'm in this exact quandry right now. I have 6 & 8 D90s on my car with 205 and 225s. The tires are cheap Fuzion ZR that were new on the car when I bought it last year. I just purchased a set of 993 7 & 9 cups with 50% Yoko AVS100 (205 and 255) and I'm trying to decide how to handle this.

1.) Do I make the 17s dedicated track wheels and install MPSCs?
2.) Do I look for a good compromise street tire so I can leave my 17s on the car but have something that will perform well for my 4 or 5 DEs/year?
3.) Do I make my D90s dedicated track wheels with MPSCs (do they come in 16s?)?

After 4 days of DE (my total experience) with the D90s and low quality street tires I'm no expert and I don't have a reference to compare against, but it doesn't seem like comparable cars with track tires are that much faster. I will say that now that I have ground off half the tread on the Fuzion ZRs they seem to work a little better, or maybe I'm getting a little better, who knows?
Bottom line is I'm still having fun with the D90/Fuzions on the track, but I would like to experience the difference.

I'm leaning toward option 2. Any thoughts or suggestions for a good compromise 17" tire?

Doug,
I'd go with option 2. Most folks with only 4 DE days aren't ready for R comps yet. Get a good set of MPS (not the cups) and go the dual use route. Once you wear the rubber off those, you might be ready to try the R comp tires.

I'm in the same boat. Just switched from my 5 spoke 16" wheels w/ S02's to 17" cup 2's with MPS tires. Dramatic handling difference over the 16" wheels. My car feels like it's now on rails in comparison.

deep_uv 10-10-2007 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by donoman (Post 4659458)
Bump for an old thread.

Does anyone drive their car on the track with D-90's still (6 and 8's)? My original intention was to purchase track wheels but looks like I am saving for a wedding ring instead and I'm contemplating running my D90's at the track next month (2 events). Or I could use the credit cards... no... must... resist....

I know the tires on there right now are just horrible in terms of grip... RE730 or something. On my previous cars I had: Miata, Toyo T1R - lots of traction... M3, Yok AVS100 - not enough grip and too noisy. I know RA1's are available... I will probably go with those.

Also are yall using stock sizing with the D-90's (205's and 225's)? I've read that BGLeduc uses 245's in the rear but he also comments that 225's in the front bulge. So, if I didn't want to increase understeer, I should stick with the stock sizing, right?

Donovan, I ran 5 DE's on 16" rims. You can do it, they push alot compared to 17" though. Lowering my front tire pressure a few lbs. helped.