Sponsored by:

Rear abs/speed sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 02:35 PM
neun sechs vier
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear abs/speed sensor question

My OPC was tasked with fixing the ABS light/alarm coming on. They plugged in the diagnostics and found the right rear sensor was faulty.

How long does it take to replace the one sensor assuming the sensor bolt comes out without a fight?

Is there anything else in the way that needs to be dis-assembled?

Just hoping that wool is not being pulled over my eyes. I'd be grateful for some advice and photos if anyone has any handy. (My car is still with Porsche OPC.)

1992 C2
Old 11-07-2016, 03:00 PM
wallra
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
Default ABS SENSOR

I just looked up book time on alldata 0.7
Old 11-07-2016, 03:15 PM
neun sechs vier
Rennlist Member

Thanks Wallra,
It doesn't sound like the hundreds of £GBP being suggested then. They've talked about getting the whole hub apart. Do you know if the brake caliper or disk shield needs to come off or is it just the wheel?
Old 11-07-2016, 04:17 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Single bolt and it pulls right out. Assuming nothing is rusted together. No need to dismantle anything else if I recall. If you can change a tire, you can change the sensor.

In a wet, rust-prone, climate, the sensor may just have rusty iron flakes on the magnet that need cleaned off. If the shop doesn't know or suggest that before replacement, I would find a different shop.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:58 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

I agree w nick. Likelihood of the sensor going is small. You need to take it out and clean it. Then clean the teeth on the axle that it reads. And see if it is still "faulty"

My 11 yr old daughter could do this job. So don't let it scare you. Just jump in and do it yourself...it'll take literally a few minutes once the wheel is off. If for some reason the little Allen that holds it in rounds itself out, go ahead and let the shop fix it. But outside that, its simple and easy...diy for cleaning is practically free...
Old 11-08-2016, 05:25 AM
neun sechs vier
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all your replies.

This is something I could tackle myself but the car was due for a service and the ABS fault could be traced by them. I just needed some advice after receiving a service report suggesting they were pricing the job to change the sensor at +£600.00, with the service cost on top. I'm sure they are mistaken.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:14 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

recently had similar problem on the front. cleaned the sensor and ground myself. issue cleared up. free fix.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:47 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know if dash light stays on if a single sensor faults? Was the warning light on before service? If you want to go deeper, simple resistance test with multimeter to confirm not shorted ... Think I saw specs for test in Adrian's book, not sure.....
Old 11-08-2016, 01:09 PM
deadendd9009
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If a single sensor is faulty, yes the light will remain on. My light was intermittent, locking up a brake would have the light come on and stay on until I the system saw the sensor was registering ok. Cleaning all 4 sensors resolved my issue permanently, your result might differ depending how dirty your sensors are..

i would clean the sensors first before breaking out the multimeter, you'll be suprised.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:10 PM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by neun sechs vier
Thanks for all your replies.

This is something I could tackle myself but the car was due for a service and the ABS fault could be traced by them. I just needed some advice after receiving a service report suggesting they were pricing the job to change the sensor at +£600.00, with the service cost on top. I'm sure they are mistaken.
I think they need to be told that they are mistaken - sensor is listed at D911 for c £142 and should be available much cheaper elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Rear abs/speed sensor question