Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 headlights upgrade options at present

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 08:24 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

The only incandescent lights left on my '91 are the third brake light, fog lights, and the gauges/HVAC lights. Novita EP35 relay is a good choice to keep the turn signals happy.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:33 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,580 Likes on 603 Posts

I am preparing to do some headlight work on a friend's C4, and have made the assumption anything greater than the present current drain (for the OEM style H4 45/55W inserts) requires an auxiliary relay set?
Anyone with experience, as I fitted 75/100W to my 911S previously with no issue, but the later models appear to have a concern about total un-shunted current?

Thanks for any comment!
Old 03-09-2019, 09:45 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

The 964 have relays and fuses. Unlike earlier models.
Unsure on current load
Old 03-12-2019, 01:01 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,580 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
The 964 have relays and fuses. Unlike earlier models.
Unsure on current load
Thanks, as it would be nice if the
new fan-less LEDs new fan-less LEDs
could be fitted without extra relays needed too.

I need to do more research on detailed spec sheets, but some are quoted as '50W' for 7000 lm or so.
If this is the case, their current drain would suit the existing 964 loom capabilities, and we're not going to fry anything...

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2019, 11:55 PM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Here’s my headlight upgrade, a DIY endeavor.

Parts list:
VW Beetle headlight buckets (JBugs)
VW Beetle fluted lenses (JBugs)
Euro trim rings (Autohaus)
Stainless hardware (Belmetric)
Morimoto Sealed7 (TRS)
H4 to H5 adapters

I used shorter screws on the trim rings than what came with them and the fitment is improved regarding bucket clearance, also the screws supplied with the rings were already starting to accumulate surface rust. I lined the inside of each bucket in HVAC aluminum tape to help keep the silvered appearance. Output is very good and the cutoffs are clean even with the fluted glass.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:41 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

To
Originally Posted by SRM11
I'm sure they would, but that seems expensive. I've bought tons of HID & LED bulbs over the years and for the most part they all perform and look the same.

This is what I bought for my H5's (no affil). I can't remember the actual bulb but there's one bulb style that is a direct fit to replace H5s. I have the box so if you need me to check, let me know. If you have H4's then obviously select that. China seller so it will take 2-3 weeks, but you could probably find a USA seller for maybe $20.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pair-COB-C...r=512451316303
Thanks for the tip. I’ve been looking for a brighter bulb option while I save for some Flat 6 illumination headlights. I changed out all my other lights with LEDs from www.superbrightleds.com I think it’s definitely a must even though I don’t drive at night much as well.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:57 PM
jonathant
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Related. Plus a fog light question

I‘ve been “upgrading” my old/pitted H5 headlamps as well. Similar to other I used the VW buckets and clear lenses. I found Porsche H4 reflectors from Czechoslovakia (via ebay) to replace the VW sealed-beam bracket though... nice look with the clear lenses and a lot more light. With plain/old Sylvania H4 bulbs the cutoff is sharp, but without fluting to spread the beam the view is great dead-ahead but not so good to the sides.

I had planned to install projectors (and probably still will do so) but may try this tor a bit to see how it goes.

Anyway: what are our options for the fog lights? Mine are pitted/fogged worse than the H5s. I can replace just the lenses with new fluted glass but would rather rebuild with clear glass and projectors. Anyone have advice or experience to share?

Quick Reply: 964 headlights upgrade options at present