964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint stripper on bumpers/sill covers?

Old 09-18-2016, 04:12 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Paint stripper on bumpers/sill covers?

I will have my car repainted soon, and I would like to save time/money by stripping what I can myself, starting with the bumpers and sills.

I did a search but found only one (2003, negative) reference to paint strippers.

Can the pros and those that have done it comment on what is the best method do strip the thermoplastic body parts safely? There are several coats of paint on them, so they will look like nothing if I don't remove all paint before redoing them.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:06 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Don't use the chemical paint stripper on the bumpers, and I assume by sills you mean the rocker coverings.. don't use the stripper on that either. The solvents vary from one manufacturer to another and thus some are stronger than others.. and you wont be saving any money buy having to buy new or used bumper covers.

The items you're interested in stripping should be sanded using nothing lower than 180 grit on an orbital d a. Even with this you need to use care if you're not experienced with it. It is very easy to cause low spots should you hold the d a in one area too long.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:23 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

I had my shark fins soda blasted in preparation for repainting a few years ago and it worked great. In the hands of an experienced operator, soda blasting is very controllable and will not damage the part.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:01 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

OK seems I can break out the sandpaper.
Alternate question: is the back side of the bumper (under the heat shields) painted?
Old 09-21-2016, 10:29 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennlistuser8
OK seems I can break out the sandpaper.
Alternate question: is the back side of the bumper (under the heat shields) painted?
Your taking a big chance on an expensive part by sanding it but whatever, it's your car.
On my car the back side is not painted.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:10 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Agree, but soda blasters are non existent in my area. Stripper is a no, what's left?
Old 09-22-2016, 08:55 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Body shops don't use soda blasting in the repair and repainting of your plastic bumpers/body panels.. they sand them.

Again, you do have the potential to make them "wavy" depending on how much material is on them and your technique/skill level in working the sander.

This is what the bodyshop does.. if you've not done it before you may have to questions if you're really saving anything in the long run. If you've dismantled the car.. and you're taking them a shell, you've already saved.
Maybe leave the rest to them as in the grand scheme of things, you sanding down the bumpers really isn't saving you that much money or them that much time.

Back side of bumpers were not painted.. though its a nice touch for the OCD.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:31 PM
deutschnine
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Search "aircraft paint remover for plastic", it comes in a spray can and is excellent. Plenty of vidsmon youtube you can view

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint stripper on bumpers/sill covers?