Oil cleaning advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 02:46 AM
stuttgart911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil cleaning advice

Folks,

I need your advice. My 964 leaks a little. I recently had a good amount of the oil lines redone. I still have leaks. My two mechanics advise me to get this thing cleaned up so we can figure out where all the leaks are coming from.

Can I power wash any of it? What can't get wet? Do I need to lift the car to do it? If so, how much?

I tried to search - general feedback was use degreaser, purple power, simple green. I feel like that will take forever by hand and I don't have full access.

Last edited by stuttgart911; 04-05-2020 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:00 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

It's tough if you only have curb side parking in DC. If you have your own parking area, I'd put the rear on jack stands then hit it with several cans of engine degreaser, purple stuff, and/or brake cleaner. Rinse with low pressure water hose. Caked on oil may require some elbow grease with an assortment of brush sizes to git er done.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:11 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

+1 - Put the car up on jack stands, spray with your favorite degreaser (I use Simple Green), let soak and then blast with water. It make take multiple cycles to get it off. I then use brake clean to get the stubborn stuff. You will be amazed at what an hour or two of work can do to clean the bottom of the car/engine.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:25 AM
ZG862
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

You don't really describe the rate at which you're losing oil but it came across as more than a weeping gasket.

Dunno what your local roads are like but if your 964 has had too much exposure to road salt then certain oil lines are quite vulnerable to corrosion and as they fail will cause alarming leaks. Check out the return line from the RH side of the crank case, which turns upwards on to a hose and then to the flattened tube that runs along the lower edge of the inner wheel arch to another short hose to the tank. In such conditions, the tank itself is vulnerable to corrosion on its outboard and forward sides, and small perforations in this are likely to result in a build up of gunk all over the thermostat.
Equally, the oil line between crankcase and filter may fail and lead to a high oil loss. Corroded hose clips may also be the root cause of loss where the hoses attach to hard lines.

Good luck with your cleaning and go carefully as if you enlarge a pin hole, you could cause uncontainable loss of much of the oil in the system and have an immobile car. Replacing some of the hard lines requires some big spanners. On the other hand, the issue may be small and easily fixed but just wanted to make sure you're prepared.

Z

Last edited by ZG862; 09-15-2016 at 09:28 AM. Reason: I can't spel or punkchewate,
Old 09-15-2016, 09:28 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a UV flashlight. Fresh oil fluoresces under UV, old oil doesn't.
Cheers,
Mike
Old 09-15-2016, 12:50 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

If you don't have engine trays, you can go to a local body shop and have it steam cleaned or pressure washed. Should cost approx 150...and that get 95% of the oil under the motor. Then for the top, the simple green and hose and an old paint brush will do the trick...

Quick Reply: Oil cleaning advice