964 engine... needs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 01:14 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts
Default 964 engine... needs?

Hi
I'm looking at a 1990 c2 and have been told a variety of things about these cars to look out for...mainly the head gasket update/mod. Some reputable/experienced shops urge to make sure the head upgrade has been done to deal with the lack of a gasket. Other reputable/experienced shops say it's not necessary if the car isn't leaking. Is this a must have? Basically I have a good local shop telling me the engine should have the upgrade. and others near the car location say not to worry about it.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:36 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by nowata
Hi
I'm looking at a 1990 c2 and have been told a variety of things about these cars to look out for...mainly the head gasket update/mod. Some reputable/experienced shops urge to make sure the head upgrade has been done to deal with the lack of a gasket. Other reputable/experienced shops say it's not necessary if the car isn't leaking. Is this a must have? Basically I have a good local shop telling me the engine should have the upgrade. and others near the car location say not to worry about it.
Absolutely not necessary. Ever.

That said lots of people have it done just so they don't have an occasional drip of oil on their garage floor.

When we did my heads, I opted to not do it. So I have no head gasket and no leaks. It's a simple thing in the end.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:05 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Unless the heads/cylinders are wet to the touch, I would not worry about that until its time for a valve job.

In that event, adding sealing rings is highly recommended and a great long-term investment.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:33 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

thanks. I'll post some pics if everything goes thru.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:24 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

Head gasket update / mod would not influence me one way or another in buying a C4 & C2. If that is the only leak on the car it should not be too bad. Usually the significant oil leaks are from every other worn out original friggen gasket on this engine.

In the case of my C4, I sent off my pistons, cylinders and heads to Steve Weiner and he took care of everything for me. I did this because this is my hobby and I enter periods of Zen when working on my 964.

Look at the photos in this post to see the leak between the cylinder and head:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l#post13308551

This is from my world's slowest engine rebuild thread on my C4 but I am loving every minute of it.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:36 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in same camp, it's not a race to end result, enjoy the journey and education as member of RL Now, let's tear something apart ....

Quick Reply: 964 engine... needs?